PDA

View Full Version : Compression specs for Vanguard 16HP?

martin.jim
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can go to learn what the compression values should be in a B&S Vanguard 16HP engine? Thanks!

fixer67
08-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Try this link. It did not incode right so you will have to copy and paste it.

http://engines.myfaqcenter.com/Answer.aspx?p_faqid=1864&body_0$tbKeyword=compression%20&selectCats=Troubleshooting%20-%20Repairs

laman
08-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I checked one that I had years ago. It had 150 lbs, don't know if that is good or bad but it ran strong..

martin.jim
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll check that site. I pulled readings from my machine the other day and one cylinder read about 140 and the other about 120. It's been a great engine for a while, but recently started throwing lots of black smoke and has lost top-end power. I'm hoping its a head gasket and nothing worse.

dutch1
08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
If the engine is throwing black smoke, I'd suspect an over fueling problem. Have you noticed an increased fuel usage or an oil level that is higher than normal? If either one is occuring I'd suspect a carb problem--faulty (or debris in) needle/seat, float problem, etc. What are the engine numbers?

With compression readings, as they are, would not appear to be a problem. The difference in compression raises a little suspicion but it does occur. Have you adjusted the valves?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Engine numbers?

laman
08-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Have you changed the air filter. I had a vanguard and some kind of way the filter got wet. It dried out and it would miss a little and black smoke. I cleaned the carb changed plugs and hunted trying to find it. I had gave up until one day I had it running and pulled the air filter off. The miss and smoke stopped. Put new filter no more problems. Just something for you to check...

martin.jim
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
If the engine is throwing black smoke, I'd suspect an over fueling problem. Have you noticed an increased fuel usage or an oil level that is higher than normal? If either one is occuring I'd suspect a carb problem--faulty (or debris in) needle/seat, float problem, etc. What are the engine numbers?

With compression readings, as they are, would not appear to be a problem. The difference in compression raises a little suspicion but it does occur. Have you adjusted the valves?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Engine numbers?
the engine number is: 303776 1088-A1

martin.jim
08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Have you changed the air filter. I had a vanguard and some kind of way the filter got wet. It dried out and it would miss a little and black smoke. I cleaned the carb changed plugs and hunted trying to find it. I had gave up until one day I had it running and pulled the air filter off. The miss and smoke stopped. Put new filter no more problems. Just something for you to check...
I did clean the air filter (it was loaded up) and put new spark plugs in the day it really was acting up - no change. However, the black smoke was bothering me because I was expecting it to be white/blue for a blown head gasket. I pulled off the air filter assembly and found the carb was caked in grime. Used carb & choke cleaner and sprayed/cleaned it all up. Runs much better, but still not getting top-end power like I expect it should. I ordered a new air filter and one other post prompted me to consider adding Seafoam to treat the fuel. I'll fiddle with it tomorrow to see if that all helps. I'm encouraged that maybe the head is not the issue and the carb is. I'm hopeful that will get things worked out enough to get back through the season. I do this part time and run old equipment with my son and we've basically been fortunate to have hot/dry weather to keep work slow while we repair. Thanks for all your help guys!

laman
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I am not talking about cleaning the foam. I am talking about the paper filter. Mine look good but it wasn't.

martin.jim
08-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I am not talking about cleaning the foam. I am talking about the paper filter. Mine look good but it wasn't.
I understand...Seafoam is a fuel additive. I did order a new filter and pre-filter and will install them this week. I hope to have the same result you did. Thanks.