PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer

a12
08-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing an enclosed trailer for hauling and storage, mostly for storage, either 6'x10' or 6'x12'. Looking at the Homesteader brand. Of course, I am looking for the most storage as possible. Not sure whether I should get the V-Nose or the Bull-Nose. 6'x10' V is 11'8" overall length, Bull-Nose is 10'5" overall length. I know the V-Nose is better for pulling, but is the extra space worth the extra $$ and is it really practical usable space?

For those who have the V, what do you do with the extra space? Looks like the extra space will only be able to be used for misc. small equipment, racks, etc., since that extra triangular space doesn't seem like very much.

Pros and cons with either one?

Also, is it worth it to get the side access door or not? I'm guessing it is, so that you can gain access to things in the front of the trailer without going through the back. That's if the door isn't blocked with equipment crammed into the front of the trailer, which is what I would probably do, LOL.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

DoetschOutdoor
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I just got a 16 foot v nose (18 overall) homesteader about 2 weeks ago so I cant say how well it will hold up but it seems very well built compared to my past 3 enclosed trailers and they all lasted a long time. The fit and finish on mine is really nice and the dealer was able to give me simple stuff like LED upgrade, diamond treadplate, flow thru vents, and dual brakes for no charge and rounded down for final price. Im very happy with it so far, just takes time setting it up exactly right.

I like v nose bc. you will not lose any space when you build a workbench up front. I always do 2 levels of workbenches and leave enough room underneath to get the mowers or other equipment all the way forward. V nose on my trailer wasnt much extra and then I dont lose 2 foot of up front space like with the bull nose trailers. I wouldnt even think about getting a 5x10 or another 6x12 like I had before because they get wayyyyy too small very quickly. A 5x10 trailer is pointless in this industry and for the money a small 6x12 enclosed costs, you could get a wayyy bigger nice open trailer.
Side door is a must.

a12
08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Is it a good idea to paint the wood floors of these trailers, or just leave them the way they are? If so, what type of paint have you used?

Thanks

doubleedge
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Is it a good idea to paint the wood floors of these trailers, or just leave them the way they are? If so, what type of paint have you used?

Thanks

Some people put roll on bedliner, such as herculiner, on the floor and partially up the wall to protect the trailer. The trailer will hold up fine without any paint/bedliner, however.

DoetschOutdoor
08-19-2010, 12:35 AM

Thanks

Yea I have done my last 3 with the wal mart brand roll on bedliner and always do the walls gray as well. Doesnt let **** soak in or mark up the floors and the bedliner has grit in it which alot of ppl. like.

a12
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Which model did you end up getting? I'm looking at the Challenger model. I am concerned though about the spacing of the crossmembers and framing. 24" on center for both floor and walls. This doesn't seem like it will be strong enough. I don't want the plywood floor to depress due to heavy equipment. Seems like 16" on center would be much better, like the Hercules model. I wonder if I can upgrade the floor on the Challenger from 3/4" to 1".

Anyone have experience with either of these models or if I should be concerned with the crossmember spacing?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

xclusive
08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
a12 go to this link below and you will see the inside of my 18x8.5 hercules trailer. Maybe it will help you make a decision or give you some more insight.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=304230&highlight=ag+truck+trailer

DoetschOutdoor
08-21-2010, 01:39 PM
24" spacing is too far apart if your going to be putting heavy mowers in there. My first 6x12 had 24" spacing and within 1 year the floor was sinking where the two boards butted together. Granted it could have been beefier supports to begin with, 24" is too far for heavy mowers like ztrs.