PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace a complete carborater on a trimmer??-- Husqvarna 323L

airsoft1779
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Just as the title says. Sent my trimmer in for repair and the quote was that it needed a new carb and they were charging like $125 to install it so I just said Ill do it myself. So I found the correct carburator on jackssmallengines.com and just want to no how hard is it to install? It is a complete carb. Is it just a slide in place and then screw in a few screws? Also, will I have to tune it or shall I take it to the shop and get it done?

TennisBum
08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I've been replacing the carbs on my Stihl equipment since we've been forced to use ethanol gas. I rebuilt them at first, but it's cheaper just to buy a new one. Just put it on the same way you take the old one off. Drain the fuel first and you won't need to pinch off the lines. Remove the housing and air filter assembly. Diconnect the throttle cable and fuel lines. Then just slide it off. Put the new one on in reverse order. I've never had to make any adjustments.
Hope this helps.:waving:

topsites
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah it ain't really that hard at all, worst thing is if you get the fuel lines crossed
or the gasket squashed up but just take your time and gtg.

$125 labor, WTF!
That's just beyond outrageous, what are they thinking?
Then again I'm probably better off not even knowing.

Good luck with that.

mowerknower
08-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah it ain't really that hard at all, worst thing is if you get the fuel lines crossed
or the gasket squashed up but just take your time and gtg.

$125 labor, WTF!
That's just beyond outrageous, what are they thinking?
Then again I'm probably better off not even knowing.

Good luck with that.

I am sure that the includes parts and labor. But also, you need to remember if he picks it up unrepaired he is going to pay an estimate/check out fee, usually 1/2 hour labor shop time. That is legit. You cant just say an engine needs a carb. You need to to a complete vaccuum and presure test on the engine to make sure that it is not something else causing it to run poor. Most the time the diagnosis is the hardest part of the job. Just look at all the threads on LS

airsoft1779
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
well to get a quote from the shop that said what parts need to be replaced or repaired was $30 fee. So I just paid that and got the parts list which was just a new carb. Ohh, and its a 326L.. my bad.. so installing it myself saved me like $25 bucks plus tax so i guess it'll be worth it if it works.

yes, $125 total, carb included.

ok, im gonna go ahead and order it, thanks for the help

dutch1
08-18-2010, 01:38 PM
If you have been thoroughly convinced by the shop that the carb is the only problem and you have little/limited mechanical ability then by all means replace the carb yourself. It also makes sense to replace the carb, under the same circumstances, in a shop as the cost of the carb will normally offset the cost of the labor/parts on a rebuild.

A shop will always give you an estimate that is on the high side due to any other unanticipated problems they may run in to. In addition, most shops will sell parts at x% above retail which is understandable when one considers the money they have wrapped up in inventory. If the shop was convinced that the carb was the only problem, then $125 would appear to be high.

The only carbs that I have found necessary to replace are ones that were so severely corroded inside that replacement was the only option.

topsites
08-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh, well $125 WITH the carb ain't so bad, those things do run like 75 dollars so
I can see an hour's labor with the diagnostics, sorry I got upset.

TennisBum
08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I've been getting my carbs off EBay - usually about $50.00 and another $5 to ship.