PDA

View Full Version : Start and End dates for Lawn Maintenance???

AAATreeLandscape
08-04-2002, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone...First I just wanted to say that this is a great tool for everyone in the landscaping industry and I am pumped that I have finally found a way to generate new ideas and answer ?'s at the same time! Back to my question...I am located in eastern MA and I wanted to know if there was a set date for starting and ending the lawn maintenance. I am trying to switch all my customers into contracts and thanks to the e-book I downloaded off this site I will be using that contract. They list 20 mowings and I am not sure if I should modify that or not??? Look forward to hearing your answers. Thanks Again!

EJK2352
08-04-2002, 03:51 PM
In N.E. Ohio our season starts in late March and ends around December 1st. Usually 28-32 cuts per season,unless it's real dry like it has been this year. :) ;) :) ED

LAWNGODFATHER
08-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Around here we start when we can start, and end when we can't work any more or run out of winter work, or it has snowed.

No specific dates.

kris
08-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Be a specific as you can without committing to the exact amount of mowings .

Our contracts say ...Spring Cleanups is the month of April ( weather permitting ) Regular maintenance from May 1st until October 15th ... the non specific part is ... mowing a Maximum of XXX times ... You can count up the weeks for your area .. this way they can't hold you to the amount of mowing if you happen to skip a week due to no growth.
We always show up weekly and do something ...ei. edge tree wells, hoe shrub beds etc

AielLandscaping
08-04-2002, 05:00 PM
i guess it depends on your weather, but i have a 46 cut mowing season...but it doesn't snow here...

Lawn Wizard
08-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Your entire post was right on Kris.

This year I made a huge mistake (in my opinion) and actual tried to calculate the number of cuts, and role that number into a flat monthly price ( from April through October).

Needless to say that plan has been less than spectacular.

My point is, through my little experience I have found that it is usually better to have the client think in bigger terms like a seasonal or yearly agreement, rather than them looking at it in a weekly or specific number of cuts sort of way.

Hope this helps

kris
08-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Lawn Wizard ... I do calculate the number of cuts per season ...quite simple it's weekly. I quote it like I will have to cut weekly. What I was stressing is that the contract should not state that is is cut weekly. If we show up and it doesn't need to be cut, then fine ... we save some time. I think we are on the same page ... it may be that our contracts are just worded a little differant.

Lawn Wizard
08-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Were on the same page Kris, but my mistake was that i still have people looking at the agreement as actual cuts, so for example I state in the contract 25 cuts for the season April - October so even though they are buying a bank of cuts for the season, some clients seem to get confused when Im not cutting, and if I dont estimate it gets even more confusing for them, especially if they owe more :)

I have found it to be better to state it that every week we will show up from April-November and do something, to get the client away from counting the actual cuts and looking at it more like we are adding them to our route and every week we will do something to make their property look better be it cutting, hand weeding, shrub maintenance, etc.

It just seems to me when its stated as cuts thats what people focus on, and they dont all realise your there every week doing something even if your not cutting.

AAATreeLandscape
08-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Thanks for everyones replies...I was wondering if someone could post or send me a contract they currently use for there clients. Also wanted to know some onpinions on billing weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Thanks Again!

awm
08-04-2002, 10:30 PM
mine started reg in late march ,ended i
2nd week o june . near as i can remember:D