PDA

View Full Version : 19 HP KAWI Re-build

ky-lawn-guy
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I have a 19hp Kawi KAI on one of my Exmark Turf Tracers. It is about 3.5 years old and probably has about 1200-1500 hours one it. The engine still starts as soon as you bump the key and runs perfect but it is burning a little oil and leaking a little oil. I was wondering if they make some sort of rebuild kit for this engine? I figured I just needed to change all the gaskets to stop the leaks. I was thinking i could squeeze another year or so out of it before I replaced the engine. Any info on fixing the problem would be appreciated.

topsites
08-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I would just see about replacing maybe the valve cover gasket, I think that's about all you can do,
when engines with that many hours still run as good as you describe I wouldn't recommend tearing into it.

mowerknower
08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Usually the oil leak on those is out of the breather gasket, no need to pull the engine. If you are only looking to get another year out of it I would just live with the burning oil and oil leak. Not worth doing a rebuild at that point

dutch1
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
I'd suggest taking the shroud off, spray it down with a degreaser like Super Kleen then power wash thoroughly. I would do this particularly if you don't know the source of the leak. Topsites and Mowerknower are spot on but another source is a pan gasket leak and in my experience, they most frequently occur under one of the heads--rarely on the side. Another popular leak is the governor shaft seal but it is normally quite apparent, particularly if it has a deck to drip on.