PDA

View Full Version : mower selection

steve z
08-04-2002, 03:52 PM
I am currently searching for a commercial mower for residential use.I would like to get one that is built real well,that I can repair myself(I am a mechanic).I am mowing 2.5 acres and would like to mow it in as little time as possible.Lawn has somewhat sloping terrain.I am able to mow with a 60" deck and would like to stay in the mid20's range as far as hp go's.The 50 or so brands of commercial mowers brings lots of confusion into the picture.I am considering an outfront style mower because of cost and ease of deck maintenance but am wondering if a ztr would not be a better choice.I will not be trailering this machine.The dealers in my area carry,Scag,gravely,grasshopper,deines,toro,exmark and bobcat.I have put a ceiling on cost of around 7 grand.If any of you real proffessionals can help me in making my decision it will be appreciated.

65hoss
08-04-2002, 08:32 PM
eXmark Lazer 60"!!!! Last mower you'll ever buy being a homeowner.

awm
08-04-2002, 10:58 PM
1996 lazer w 52 deck , an u wont wear it out either.course shes a little sentimentally attached. but i believe 7 would get her.

Richard Martin
08-04-2002, 11:16 PM
If all you're going to cut is 2.5 acres then you should look into the walkbehinds. You can get a real nice hydro 60" walkbehind with a sulky for well under 7 grand. I would look at the Exmark or Scag.

captdevo
08-04-2002, 11:40 PM
i would look into and demo a hustler fastrak, for under $5500, you'll have a well built ztr which is great on slopes and speed, and offer ease of service.

click here for details (http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com)

click here for their forum and see the feedback! (http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31)

http://www.rpm-co.com/images/fastrak.jpg

Shultz
08-05-2002, 12:45 AM
If you have the budget, definately get a ZTR RIDER. Walk behinds cut great, but are much more work. I have the same situation -"homeowner" as you and have a 61" scag turf tiger, 22 hp liquid kawasaki for 1.5 acres. Cut it in a half hour. Purchased used~900 hours on it, saved quite a bit from new. I think I put on 50 hours a year. Good Dealers are important, and be sure to demo on your property before buying, whatever the brand. I'm partial to scag, just as others are to exmark and hustler, some of the sponsers of this site. Good luck.

steve z
08-05-2002, 02:06 PM
thank you for your response,I have looked into all of these mowers.The scag and the gravely appear to be the best built machines I have seen,this is coming from a machine repairman. That does not mean that they do actually mow grass well.I have heard they do.I have looked at the exmarks,but the the dealer that is located near me reminds me of a modern day car dealer with the salesman trying to sell me something else that I just didn't want.Like a 72" for $7000, that has 1000 hrs on it and looked like they were accumulated on pikes peak!No Thanks!!!! Ive looked into hustlers,but the nearest dealer to me is two hours away. As far as hydro's go I would like to keep the work to a minimal.

AztlanLC
08-05-2002, 02:34 PM
I don't know about gravely or exmark but I fo own Scags 61 and 52 and the deck is not solid most of my equipment is scag and has the same problems I tought it was normal until I switched to Ferris, believe me those mowers are build to last year I bought my second ferris IS3000z 50hrs on it for $6000, not problems so far almost a year and 600hr on it.

A lot people that I know has a exmark and they swer they are the nicest thing around, but for personal reason I stick to ferris and i'm not disappointed.
Most of the scag owners that I know complain about the same as me, but hey! my newest scag is about 3 years old and I haven't try the new stuff.

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 02:47 PM
hey steve, where in michigan are you? i'm near Flint

steve z
08-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Dansville,(just southeast of lansing)

mowerconsultant
08-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by steve z
Ive looked into hustlers,but the nearest dealer to me is two hours away.

There is a dealer bout 25 miles from you, from what I can tell.
Here is there info:
R & K Small Engine Service,Inc
9450 Kinneville Rd
Eaton Rapids , MI 48827
Phone: 517-663-3036
Fax: 517-663-0130

From a mechanics point of view, you should check out the Hustler, It is the simplest built unit out there.
I dont think you will find a heavier built machine.
Check out the Hustler Z and Super Z and the FasTrak, also the Mini's

Later
Pj

steve z
08-05-2002, 05:09 PM
I will check these mowers out tomorow and let you know what I think of them.Thanks for your help!

Albemarle Lawn
08-05-2002, 11:50 PM
For ZTR mowers, we have used the Gravely 260Z exclusively for the last 4 years.

The only thing is, you may be paying for a feature you don't need with the Gravely...the hydraulic deck lift. If your machine stays on 1 lawn and it is consistent, you might not need that feature.

But the Gravely is still cost-competitive. Lately I have seen them here for $7399 with a 25HP Kawasaki. Kohler cheaper, but still rock-solid.

Get the Gravely you just won't wear it out with 1.5 acres. When it gets old the name will sell it. Old Gravely machines command respect. Other machines are just old warn-out machines.

KB

steve z
08-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Well,I've checked out the hustler z;s.I was impressed with the quality of the z.The hydraulics are very smooth.The only thing I did not like was the price,They wanted $7700 for it.This was slightly more than what i have desired to pay. I am also considering the fast-trac now.The dealer is bringing out a couple of demos next week.I was wondering how those little wheels are going to do on bumps!