PDA

View Full Version : cut flagstone

yardworks, inc.
08-18-2010, 07:35 PM
The homeowner has a bunch of square cut flagstone left after a previous project. He is wanting a walkway done. The pieces vary from 3/4 to 1 1/4 in. thick. I have laid a ton of pavers but i am new to natural stone. What is the process of laying these. I would prefer to lay it on a dense grade base versus pouring any concrete to set them on. The sand and how to restrain the edges is my biggiest question. I was planning on using gator dust for the joints. Any tips will be appreciated.

Krafty
08-18-2010, 11:38 PM
When we have done different thickness in the past. I used a 6 to 8 inch compacted 1" down base and came back with about an inch of bedding sand. We usually screed off just like we are doing pavers this keeps the walk on the same plane and then we individually level each stone. It is pretty labor intensive to make it look nice but if you take the time it looks really nice. Be careful with the gator dust it has been real hit and miss for us this year.

yardworks, inc.
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
What do u do about the edge restraint? I am afraid the normal size edge restraint will be right at the top of the stone.

Krafty
08-19-2010, 05:52 PM
We used a regular aluminum paver edging. We just adjusted the height so that it was only about half way up the stone. This way grass butted right up to the stone and you never even saw the edge.

Here is the only picture I could find that you can some what at all see the edging. This is before gator dust though so you can still see it a little bit.

yardworks, inc.
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info, the patio looks good. I think I bought a saw from you last winter. I've been using the saw alot. We just laid a 7000 sq. ft. driveway lat week, alot of cutting. Thanks again.

Krafty
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Yes that was me. I am glad to hear it is doing good. I really love thoese handheld ones. You will have to get some pics up so I can see it.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-19-2010, 07:10 PM
You can also do the same procedures as Krafty said, but screed off a little more sand about 1.5". Than lay your stones trying to use the same size stone (thickness) in the same area than lay plywood ontop and tamp in like pavers. Plan on some breakage with the thinner stone. You will have to set some of the stone by hand but the plywood method can speed up your process. I hope that makes sense.