PDA

View Full Version : Gravely or Toro?

C4chris70
08-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Yesterday my 14 year old 36" Toro kicked the bucket, and unfortunately I sold my backup last week (after just sitting in the garage for 2 years). I am in a position where I need to buy a new mower within a day or so since I have been unable to find any used mowers in the classifieds. I have narrowed my choices to either another 36 Toro or a Gravely. I have not used a Gravely, but have heard that they are rock solid machines. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Evan528
08-04-2002, 06:32 PM
I have a 6 year old Gravely 36 that has been exellent. It has not needed one single repair since Ive owned it and the quality of cut is top notch. You also need to decide wich style of controls you like better. I personally prefer pistal grips..... T-bar I feel I dont have as much control over the machine with. That is ussually personal prefernce though.

John Gamba
08-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Deeper Deck, Better Cut, double Blades.

Nelson
08-04-2002, 10:28 PM
The Red One " T O R O " :D

summitgroundskeeping
08-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Gravely for sure, but if you can stomach the cost... Great Dane baby

summitgroundskeeping
08-05-2002, 12:06 AM
Seriously, look at all the things Gravely's mowers have to offer. Look at the price, deck, deck's chute, tires, controls, balance (the front end won't lift up on u when u hit a bump), and man they are solid machines. I run with Gravely and Dane. Both are amazing machines.

Flex-Deck
08-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Get an eXmark 36" hydro with a flex-deck - you will have a 54" contouring and trimming mower that will out do any thing on the market - see our sponsor forum for pics. (Flex-Deck)

summitgroundskeeping
08-05-2002, 12:23 AM
Nelson- they are both red.
Something tells me you have no experience with Gravely's.

Flex-decks are nice, but don't thoes stripe wierd b/c of the way the tires are set... correct me if I'm wrong b/c I don't know nor seen pictures.

Flex-Deck
08-05-2002, 12:51 AM
I believe the Flex-Deck lays its own pattern when on an mower - it is unique. You would be the only one on the block with the flex-deck look. you have to decide whether to stay with the old or try something that will save you a ton of time mowing and trimming, with a unique mowing pattern.

I understand that what has been working is hard to get away from, and I don't envy the decision you people out there have to make when new things come along.

I just know from all the people that have the flex-deck presently that have enough power on the main mower to run it full time are reporting bunches of time savings. - LGF's 52" eXmark WB is a bit under powered for full time mowing, but the trimming is great according to his report to me. I have one on a 36" eXmark in Sterling IL. and that thing is evidently doing about twice as much as it used to.

Thanks, Brad

yardboyltd
08-05-2002, 12:54 AM
I think the Flex-deck is a great tool. However, I believe that the 36" has it's place in small area mowers. It's not about gates really, but if it was, typically most yards that have small gates, also aren't big enough to make a 54" economical...

65hoss
08-05-2002, 02:02 AM
Between the 2 mowers you listed, I'd go give a serious look at the Gravely. Dang well built machine. The new design makes it a competitor for any w/b on the market.

Nelson
08-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by summitgroundskeeping
Nelson- they are both red.
Something tells me you have no experience with Gravely's.

Flex-decks are nice, but don't thoes stripe wierd b/c of the way the tires are set... correct me if I'm wrong b/c I don't know nor seen pictures.

I don't know what I was thinking..... I know Gravely's R
RED. , But still like the other RED one........My Opinion only..........

Never owned a Gravely,so I can not say anything good or
bad (Sorry).

columbiaplower
08-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Why have you excluded exmark from your choices??? Have you had a bad experience with them? The prices seem very similar to a toro or gravley. If i were you i would get an 36in exmark metro with a kaw engine. I have a 1991 exmark 36in beltdrive wallbehind with a 12.5 hp kaw, and its still goin strong.

-Nick

ps are you pulling a sulky/velke with this mower

C4chris70
08-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the input. I excluded Exmark because of the cast aluminum spindles. I just sold an Exmark 2 weeks before my Toro died because I could not keep the spindle on the shute side for more than 2 months, and I did grease them on a daily basis. I looked at the Gravley today and was impressed with the machine as well as the price. The 36 w/13hp Kawi was going for $2100, and the comparable Toro w/12 1/2 Kawi was $2995. The Gravley dealer is new in my area (open only 2 months) and there are no other dealers in my area so I was a little concerned about service should this dealer not survive. I have seen three long time dealers go bust over the past two years. I ended up buying a 36 Scag w/ 13hp Kawi from the dealer I purchased my TT from for $1000. Machine looks and runs like new and I have heard nothing but praise from crews that run Scag wb's. Hope I made the right choice. Thanks again.

65hoss
08-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Apparently you had an old eXmark. The new ones all have seal bearings. No more greasing them. I haven't ever had one go bad yet.

C4chris70
08-05-2002, 10:29 PM
The Exmark was about six years old and did have grease fittings. The spindles were a problem to order new bearings for because the spindle shaft was slightly fatter than most of the spindles on the other Exmark mowers (at least that is what the dealer told me). I have friends that swear by Exmark, but I am just not ready to chance the aluminum spindles again.