PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a reel mower

95Z71
08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
How much would a reel mower cost me and where do i buy it. I have bermuda and the push behind doesn't seem to do a very good job. Thanks

MarcSmith
08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
mclane...http://www.mclanemower.com/
toro....http://www.toro.com/golf/mower/green/index.html
jacobsen...http://www.jacobsen.com/product-applications?p=11

i would also visit a few golf courses, they may have a few that they are willing to get rid of...

95Z71
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
thanks for the reply...and great idea on checking out some golf courses. Would I get the same results by using the cheap gasless reel mowers? Thanks

Merkava_4
08-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Peachtree says they make their own version based on the design of the infamous California Trimmer.

http://www.reelmowers.net/

Will P.C.
08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
It really depends on your budget. The non gas ones suck. I wouldn't even waste my money unless you own a postage stamp.

McLane- this is what I use and gives a decent cut. I really do not care for it, but you can find them for 200-400 all day long on Craigslist. If that is all you had money for, than I would grab one. Not bad, but not great. Make sure you get at least a 7 blade. You can get a really beautiful yard with one of these. Most of neighbors use McLane and they have a great looking yard

Tru Cut- These are a step up from Mclane. Probably looking at 400-600+ On Craigslist and they are always up for sale as well. Again go for at least 7 blades.
These are not as 'cheap' feeling as the Mclane

I used to cut greens at a golf course and we used the Toro Greensmaster. I think the course paid 8500 used for all of theirs. For a h/o, this is overkill. However, if you have the money, then go for it

Jacobsen, Peatchtree, John Deere all make top quality commercial reels but they come at a big time price.

Merkava_4
08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
This is the very best reel mower in the world right here:

California Trimmer
http://a.imageshack.us/img444/644/catrimmer.jpg

MarcSmith
08-20-2010, 06:09 AM
I did have one of the Mclane human powered units. and it was a great mower for a small yard. but anything on 2000 sq, its a work out..

chaser2587
08-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I have TruCut and I like it for the "slipping clutch". You don't have to fully engage the clutch so it's like having a gas pedal. This has a big advatange if your in a tight area or mow lawns that are sloped. Also the TruCut's are chain driven, where the McLane's are belt driven. But if you have deep pockets you can get a better brand... one that hasn't been mentioned yet is a Locke.

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Would I get the same results by using the cheap gasless reel mowers? Thanks

No. You will wear yourself out trying to cut bermuda with a push reel.

Check craigslist for used reel mowers, look for a Locke or a Tru-Cut....most golf courses will have mowers that are not geared to typical homeowners who cut at a height of .5" to 1.25" with a standard reel. Make sure you have a place local who can sharpen your mower.

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Peachtree says they make their own version based on the design of the infamous California Trimmer.

http://www.reelmowers.net/

This is what I own...a Legacy 30". The cut is great, but if you have a smaller lawn its difficult to operate, I would rather use a Tru-Cut.

chaser2587
08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Make sure you have a place local who can sharpen your mower.

Great Point Chris!!! There is some upkeep to a reel mower.

Also check out some of the local hardware stores. Some of them carry powered reel mowers.

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Make sure the place that sharpens has the capability to grind the reel.

If you sell a TruCut to a friend on LawnSite and buy a Trimmer style reel mower you will miss it.
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
08-20-2010, 07:35 AM
You can also ask around on the forum. There may be a friend out there willing to sale you their reel mower!

txgrassguy
08-20-2010, 08:45 AM
This is the very best reel mower in the world right here:

California Trimmer
http://a.imageshack.us/img444/644/catrimmer.jpg

Not from a maintenance stand point they sure aren't. A royal pain to spin grind and relief. Search all of my posts about reel mowers, used sourcing, there is a lot of data I will not repeat here.

For limited homeowner use, especially with no experience in reel mowers, I'd recommend at heights between .75" to 1.5" to use a Hyiater Harriet rotary mower. Search Seagrove's web site as they are the importers now - excellent mowers that bag well at low heights and if you have trees or foreign matter all over your yard these work very well.

95Z71
09-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Anyone interested in selling their reel mower? Found a few in Atlanta but nothing local here in Cabot, AR. Thanks

I think i'm leaning towards McLane since I can have it serviced here locally.

JL Lawncare
09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
I have a 25 inch tru cut with the roller for sale
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
09-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I have a 25 inch tru cut with the roller for sale
Posted via Mobile Device

How much? I wish you were closer. Is it a 7 blade?

Cloud9Landscapes
09-23-2010, 01:56 AM
I own the new Eastman 25" Reel that is roller drive. I also own a tru-cut 25" that is wheel drive. I personally find that the Trimmer/Eastman is not very hard to use, in fact I find that a tru-cut will drag you around. I can see the Tru-cut being useful for a small yard. My back lawn is only 300 sqf and I use my Eastman on it, it's easy enough to lift up the roller at the end of each pass. I know for certain that Eastman's reel and clutch assemblies are made way better than tru-cut's. My tru cut will jam up on thick zoysia where my trimmer won't. My Tru-cut's reel was once bent, never had that problem with Eastman or Trimmer. But the Tru-cut is way more maneuverable, but is heavier than the Eastman/Trimmer. I really hate Eastman's way of securing the grass catcher to the mower, it will be pushed into the reel if you hit a wall or bush. That means an embarrassing PITA for the operator.

I can guarantee you a reel will outperform any rotary, no matter how nice it is.

Once again, comparing Coke and Pepsi.

ebrowsershop
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
i am selling a reel mower - greenmaster 3050 riding mower, all you need are the reels.

cgaengineer
09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
No, comparing Coke to water. A reel is by no doubt the only way to make bermuda look its best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cloud9Landscapes
09-24-2010, 07:56 PM
No, comparing Coke to water. A reel is by no doubt the only way to make bermuda look its best.
Posted via Mobile Device

True that.

I was referring to the brands, Tru-cut and Eastman/California Trimmer.

95Z71
02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Still looking for a TruCut model mainly a C-27...anyone got one? Thanks

cgaengineer
02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Still looking for a TruCut model mainly a C-27...anyone got one? Thanks

I have a H20...
Posted via Mobile Device

chaser2587
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a P20.... thanks to the guy above me.:waving:

cgaengineer
02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
You're welcome Chase!
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
How much for the P20? That is a Tru Cut right?

95Z71
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Or the H20 model

95Z71
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM
I have a P20.... thanks to the guy above me.:waving:

How much for your P20? Thanks

TJ LAWN
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Locke Reel...They were invented Before Grass......

95Z71
02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Locke Reel...They were invented Before Grass......

Heard good things about the brand Locke, how much to they run for a 27in? I'm afraid it's out of my price range.

Cloud9Landscapes
02-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Locke reels are nice but talk about pricey, I looked at the cost of a 25" and for the price of one Locke I could have a fleet of eastman's.

TJ LAWN
02-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Locke reels are nice but talk about pricey, I looked at the cost of a 25" and for the price of one Locke I could have a fleet of eastman's.

I agree they are Pricey...But the Locke in this Picture is 25 years old...Just Lap and sharpen once and a while..Thats all thats been done to this mower...

Cloud9Landscapes
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I agree they are Pricey...But the Locke in this Picture is 25 years old...Just Lap and sharpen once and a while..Thats all thats been done to this mower...

Yeah, I've heard that they are very durable so you make a good point there. Locke reels are what they use on the White house lawn.

TJ, it says you are in Michigan. What variety of grass is that? Bent?

Thanks

TJ LAWN
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I've heard that they are very durable so you make a good point there. Locke reels are what they use on the White house lawn.

TJ, it says you are in Michigan. What variety of grass is that? Bent?

Thanks

Bluegrass and Rye......

95Z71
02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
02-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a used trucut so would any of yall hesitate to buy a used mcclain reel? They are going for around 300-350.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm having a hard time finding a used trucut so would any of yall hesitate to buy a used mcclain reel? They are going for around 300-350.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't buy one...they are crap...bottom of the barrel.
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I found a C27 in atlanta, owner doesn't know exactly how old it is but is in the lawn care business. Said he has a bunch of other mowers and never used his trucut as much. He wants 600.00 for it. If we have member in the Cumming area could u maybe look at it for me? I planned on having it shipped to Arkansas if its worth the money. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Ebay usually has several. It also allows you to do a "saved search".

chaser2587
02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I found a C27 in atlanta, owner doesn't know exactly how old it is but is in the lawn care business. Said he has a bunch of other mowers and never used his trucut as much. He wants 600.00 for it. If we have member in the Cumming area could u maybe look at it for me? I planned on having it shipped to Arkansas if its worth the money. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got an address for the place in cumming?

95Z71
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Just sent you a pm on the address...thanks

IRRITECH
02-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Just sent you a pm on the address...thanks

Chase cam by this afternoon to look at it. Let me know.

95Z71
02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Chase cam by this afternoon to look at it. Let me know.

Would like to thank Chase for taking the time out from his weekend to check on the TruCut...very nice of him to do that. Stand up kind of guy and I appreciate that.

I didn't know you were on this site...Chase said it was in good condition and was a good deal too. I am gonna get it from you.

chaser2587
02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Glad I could help both of you out. I hope everything goes smooth for you guys.

95Z71
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Has anyone had experience with Uship.com? I'm just trying to find a way to get this mower shipped now? Thanks

TMarch
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Used uship to ship an aerator 1000miles. Worked great. A farmer down the road contacted me and had to take a car to CO and picked it up for me on the way back. Just let your bid ride for a few days to see whats out there.

95Z71
04-24-2011, 09:58 PM
OK, just to give you guys an update:

I received my reel mower (C27) in February, took me a couple weeks to receive my mower (took some time finding a bidder on Uship).

Went to scalp my lawn in March and the mower dies out ever 30-60 seconds. Will even die out when you tip the mower back 45 degrees. I put some fuel treatment in the tank, and it still wants to cut out on me.

Seller said it was a good running mower and never had any problems with it. To this day, i've yet to cut my entire lawn with it. What do you guys suggest?

Cloud9Landscapes
04-25-2011, 12:38 AM
An engine has it's limits and it sounds like you are pushing them. If you are trying to scalp down your lawn, don't try to do it all in one pass. My tru-cut will bog down too if the grass is too thick to cut. The most you should be cutting off with your reel is 3/4 of a inch of turf at most, and even that is pushing it. Focus on getting the lawn weed and thatch free and level before you start reel mowing. Now is a good time to put out some pre-emergent.

If it is dyeing from normal use, it probably has a clogged jet or dirty fuel line.

Merkava_4
04-25-2011, 03:14 AM
What do you guys suggest?

If the mower dies under load that means the engine is running too lean. You need to richen up the fuel mixture.

IRRITECH
04-25-2011, 07:47 AM
OK, just to give you guys an update:

I received my reel mower (C27) in February, took me a couple weeks to receive my mower (took some time finding a bidder on Uship).

Went to scalp my lawn in March and the mower dies out ever 30-60 seconds. Will even die out when you tip the mower back 45 degrees. I put some fuel treatment in the tank, and it still wants to cut out on me.

Seller said it was a good running mower and never had any problems with it. To this day, i've yet to cut my entire lawn with it. What do you guys suggest?

There is nothing wrong with it. Check the oil, and if it's fine unplug the oil sensor. Start the machine, leave the choke at 1/2 choke. I don't know what you are doing but the machine runs fine. Start cutting you're grass on the highest setting and go down from there.

95Z71
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe I should say cut (it was on the 5th setting from the bottom) rather than scalp. I've tried all different adjustments on the throttle and even the slightest tilt to maneuver the mower, it dies out. Any other ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I should add the engine is under no load. With reel not engaged it still cuts out.
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
unplug the oil sensor, leave the choke @ half choke

jjfairlock
04-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me what a Jacobson LF 3400 with 188 hours is worth? It looks like it has never been used? Thanks!

95Z71
04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
unplug the oil sensor, leave the choke @ half choke

Where can the oil sensor plug be found?

95Z71
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the photo I'll check it out this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

95Z71
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM
I tried messing with the throttle and oil sensor and its still cuts out. I paid 600.00 for this mower and 225.00 for shipping and got a big lead sinker. I can tell you its not me, its the POS mower you sold me.
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
04-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I tried messing with the throttle and oil sensor and its still cuts out. I paid 600.00 for this mower and 225.00 for shipping and got a big lead sinker. I can tell you its not me, its the POS mower you sold me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Uh, no.....it's you. Take it to a mechanic and let him look at it.

Will P.C.
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
I imagine it to be the operator as well. The first few times I cut my bermuda with a reel was horrible. Bermuda needs to be trained as well

A yard needs to be properly prepped to use a reel. Pool table smooth/flat.

95Z71
04-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Uh, no.....it's you. Take it to a mechanic and let him look at it.

Is that the best advice you can give me? Take it to a mechanic? Why would I want to start unplugging any sensors? If you got to start unplugging things, that should tell you right there something aint right.

I tried calling you on the phone today, and the least you could do is return my phone call and make sure I'm operating it like you say.

If you say this thing is working properly, you have buy the thing back, and I pay the shipping to get it to ya. What do you say?

What yall are not getting is I have this on the highest setting and even with the reel not engaged it will die.

Will P.C.
04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
The highest setting on your mower is still much lower than the lowest setting on your mower now. Also, we are talking about a completely different cut.

When my house was first built, the sod was uneven just like the rest of my neighbors. Construction workers, realtor's, etc had walked all over right after they sodded the yard. I got lucky since some of my neighbors yards are incredibly uneven.

I spent 3 seasons topdressing with sand to get it to where I could easily mow with a reel. It would take the whole weekend spreading sand.

Even slight bumps will make it hard

95Z71
04-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I can run the mower over my concrete driveway without the reels engaged and will die. Tell me if that is normal?

greendoctor
04-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I have seen many lawns making the transition from being topped with a string trimmer or mowed with a rotary go through a renovation process where the existing zoysia or bermuda is sawed down to the ground with a 32 tooth sapling blade. There is no way a lawn previously maintained at 21/2 inches or more can be cut smoothly with a reel mower. Once the overgrowth is sawed down and the majority of the thatch is removed. then it is possible to mow with a reel mower.

Cloud9Landscapes
05-01-2011, 02:42 AM
I can run the mower over my concrete driveway without the reels engaged and will die. Tell me if that is normal?

No it's not. Check the oil level in it and change it if needed. Take his advice and unplug the yellow oil sensor wire provided it's a Honda gx160. If it works fine after that you'll know its the sensor. Good luck.

95Z71
05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
What do you know, I called the seller out and now no more response. Perhaps mower wasn't running right and now no answer on his phone or reply. Anything to make a buck, what happened to integrity? I for one could never do something like this, all seller could suggest was to just take it in to a mechanic. What comes around goes around (Carma) just like they say.

IRRITECH
05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
What do you know, I called the seller out and now no more response. Perhaps mower wasn't running right and now no answer on his phone or reply. Anything to make a buck, what happened to integrity? I for one could never do something like this, all seller could suggest was to just take it in to a mechanic. What comes around goes around (Carma) just like they say.

I have given you every response on here that I can. If you won't try a few simple things then I can't help you. This was a month long process during which I held the mower for you. You did not pay for the paypal fees that you said you would, I put it on Uship because you couldn't figure it out, I finally booked shipping for you because you wouldn't, lost another $50 in fees when the shipper cancelled and have yet to get those back. You had someone come and look at it and it ran fine then. Don't give me this carma crap, the mower is in great shape and if you have no idea what you are doing then you should not have bought it. It ran fine when it left, verified by you, so my best advice is to let someone look at it. Not my problem. You are more than welcome to ship it back.

95Z71
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
I tried backing off the throttle and unplugging the oil sensor, none of which worked. If you can't run it any higher than half throttle or if you gotta start unplugging sensors, something is up with the mower.

Yeah I would have sent the the 18.00 if the mower was worth it. Don't give me this crap about you holding the mower it was like you didn't receive any money for it. I paid for the mower instantly. Perhaps you forget to metion that in the end, I was the one to booked the mower. I never once said I didn't know what I was doing with this mower. I wouldn't give you half the amount you were asking for if I saw it in person, everything is rusted, missing master link, and reel was lose. Yeah you can have it back for what I paid for it, like I said I'll even pay for shipping.

IRRITECH
05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Okay, you obviously can't read. Go back and read the post. Never said half throttle. And you obviously don't know what you are doing. You got a C-27 Tru Cut in good shape. Commercial version not the homeowner. AND you had it checked out by someone who owns a Tru Cut. No you did not pay for it instantly. Anyway not going to argue with you. Have someone look at it and let me know what they say or stop complaining.

95Z71
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't need you to tell me what I got I know what model I have. You are the idiot here. Forgot to mention that the tires are almost completely bald and the bedknife was over half worn. Guys don't trust this seller for anything (work or any lawn equipment). He will cut you short. Just ask me. Let me know when u want this shipped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will P.C.
05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Do you have any pics of this beat up mower??

I thought another guy on here who was your friend went and checked it out to make sure it was okay.

All of this sounds a bit fishy to me or you do not have a clue on what you doing.

95Z71
05-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Seller wants to complain and say I don't know what I'm doing, but he certainly aint helping by not returning my phone calls. All this could have been easily avoid he was/is willing to make sure i'm "operating" it right. He can't even return a phone call. He only responded to this thread because I posted saying the mower wasn't working properly.

95Z71
05-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Still waiting on shipper to return phone call on how he says I should operate his mower. How is he to comment that I don't know how to operate it and doesn't have the decency to return a phone call? Guys you see what kind of businees he runs?

Will P.C.
05-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Can you take a few pics of your yard?

95Z71
05-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah I will get some pictures. He still refuses to call me back and I know he is keeping up with this forum. Guys and gals don't not give this man any business. He is a complete rip off and will post on other forums and craigslist to protect other potential buyers of his services. My plan is to hit em in his pocket book the same way he ripped me off. This has gotten personal now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
05-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Irritech seems like a trust worthy guy. I think it's either operator error, or something got messed up while shipping it. Just me .02