PDA

View Full Version : Cutting grass and all of a sudden

rlander06
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I was cutting grass on my Toro 52 inch ZT model # 74415. and all of a sudden eveything just went dead like I ran out of gas.Checked tank it was half full. tried starting back up but it did nothing. I checked the fuse and found 30amp blown(I replaced).I tried starting and still nothing. I took gaurd off top of engine and could not turn over engine by hand. I checked oil level it was full. Would the clutch cause this not to turn over? Is there a way to test the clutch?

rlander06
08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Also for the last few days I started to here rattling noise from the rear of the mower.

dutch1
08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Check to see if the clutch is free on the crankshaft. If not, the bearing(s) in the clutch may have locked up. It's not a common occurence in my little world but I've seen it a couple of times.

White Gardens
08-18-2010, 10:55 PM
If it's a Kohler, I'd say that the magnets under the flywheel have come loose and shorted out the stator causing the blown fuse.

Fixing it means pulling the flywheel and getting a new flywheel and stator.

topsites
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
If you have twin tanks, are both tanks at least half full?

If one is empty and it stalls out you probably need to replace fuel lines,
that's what happened to me about a week ago, transferring a little fuel
from the one that was near full to the empty one saved my day.

Doesn't take that many hours, I got 265 on mine but it is nearing 4 or 5 years of age,
them fuel lines get to corroding and it can cause an internal blockage.

Be an easy thing to check anyway.

White Gardens
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I also want to add that the magnet binding against the stator will give you the lock-up effect too.

piston slapper
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Probably the clutch...formerly the rattling noise.
Remove the bolt in the bracket that keeps the clutch from spinning with the crank.
put a 5/8 wrench on the bolt that holds the clutch to the crank and see if you can turn the crank....the bearing in the clutch probably froze.

rlander06
08-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I can now turn the engine over but it is only by jumping the termimals. The only thing I did was turn the engine back and forth and it freed up (??). Now the thing will not start. It acts as one of the safety switchs is on, but all are in the start position. Could this have something to do with the clutch? And could this be the PTO switch gone bad?

White Gardens
08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I can now turn the engine over but it is only by jumping the termimals. The only thing I did was turn the engine back and forth and it freed up (??). Now the thing will not start. It acts as one of the safety switchs is on, but all are in the start position. Could this have something to do with the clutch? And could this be the PTO switch gone bad?

Is the fuse still blown?

rlander06
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
The fuse is good. I can hear two relays clicking when I turn the key, one i beleive is for the fuel and the other is under or near deck. Is there away to test the PTO switch?

Ruben Rocha
08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
The only thing I did was turn the engine back and forth and it freed up (??).
The very first thing I would do is determine what caused this.
Since you did not state something else was causing the engine from turning
I would start with pulling the flywheel.
You might find a few pieces of something laying in there.
While you have the flywheel off check the stator and wiring under the flywheel.
Then I would go with checking the kill circuit on the coils.

rlander06
08-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Once I freed up the engine (not knowing what is binding) I wanted to see if it would start and found out it won`t. Now I have two problems. I need to find out if the PTO switch is any good. I bought a new one and installed it. I turned the key to the on position and pulled the PTO up and blow a fuse. Next I disconnected the PTO from under the machine and pull the PTO up after replacing fuse and the engine started. I beleive the the clutch is shot. If this is true Thank you all for your help.

White Gardens
08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Doh, I was so wrong. :nono: