PDA

View Full Version : 18hp Briggs & Straton troubles

scott60
08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Hello to all, and thanks to those who responded to my post about the Echo blower. I am new this year to leaf removal and am trying to find the best equiptment for a reasonable price. in looking for a debris loader have narrowed it to a Giant Vac or the Billygoat, both of which have the same 18hp Briggs engine. This leads to my dilema, I have heard nothing but bad things about these engines. I talked to a guy at the gas station with the Giant Vac and he told me that he lost three engines, all of the threw arod through the block. Do these engines have a high failure rate??? I can barely afford this as it is. I can't be replacing engines. Thanks SCOTT

dutch1
08-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I had 4 commercial accounts that had 18 Vanguards on their BG leaf loaders. Three who had responsible help that checked oil, air filters and blower housings on a regular basis had no problems. The one which did have problems had a crew from the south who cared not about the equipment. It came in with a dropped push rod as a result of the exhaust valve sticking--low on oil as well as leaf debris lodged in the cooling fins. Keep in mind that these engines are now likely 7-9 years old. I have not seen any recent Vanguards so can't vouch for the durability/reliability of the later engines. I wouldn't be afraid of the engine if it is taken care of.

If I remember correctly, BG goes from a 12hp to 18 to 25 with no choices of engines at each level. Don't know what Giant vac offers.

Restrorob
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I talked to a guy at the gas station with the Giant Vac and he told me that he lost three engines, all of the threw arod through the block.

Scott,

Do you see anything wrong with the above ?

Just at a quick glance I'd say this yoyo didn't take care of his equipment worth crap. It doesn't matter what brand engine is used, They will not last long unless proper service and maintenance is performed.

It's been years since I've seen a window in a block, Not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't seen nor heard about any on going issues from Briggs.

Do these units have the Intek or Vanguard engines on them ?

dutch1
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi Restro--finally beat you to the punch but our minds were on the same page.:clapping:

mowerknower
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Scott,

Do you see anything wrong with the above ?

Just at a quick glance I'd say this yoyo didn't take care of his equipment worth crap. It doesn't matter what brand engine is used, They will not last long unless proper service and maintenance is performed.

It's been years since I've seen a window in a block, Not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't seen nor heard about any on going issues from Briggs.

Do these units have the Intek or Vanguard engines on them ?

What are you talking about, small gas engines to not require matanance! Just make sure there is oil in them and they are good to go.

JK, I have one guy that thinks he does so good on his service. He has me change the oil on his z ever 75 hours. Nothing else gets done

scott60
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure if they were inteks or vanguards. I have a vanguard 16hp on my snapper 52" and don't have any problems, although I change the oil once a month. So you arn't aware of any pattern failures with these 18hp engines.

Restrorob
08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I haven't seen nor heard about any on going issues from Briggs.

So you arn't aware of any pattern failures with these 18hp engines.

Nope..... The only pattern I seen is this guy didn't learn to maintain his machine before or after the first one blew....

And Dutch.... It's a shame my phone rang just before hitting submit.... :p: . :waving: