PDA

View Full Version : JRCO Tine Rake Dethatcher's

LAWNGODFATHER
08-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Who' got hem?

How well do they work?

I am planning on using on a ZTR with a vac, for picking up after the renovator in bad lawns (if I ever get any), and as a stand alone service.

kris
08-04-2002, 08:50 PM
We have one ... got it last winter and used it for spring cleanups..

What a time saver = money maker !

Don't expect it to do as good of a job as a power rake.... it doesn't ... not really even close .
It was fine for our commercial accounts. I don't have the numbers in front of me at home here but I can look up some time sheets and tell you time saved vrs last year if you like.

jsaunders
08-04-2002, 08:56 PM
mine does a good job- it's not a power rakebut for $300-400 it does a good job. Going over the lawn a couple of times doesn't take long and gets up alot of stuff.

mdb landscaping
08-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Ive got one on my scag 48 inch walkbehind. I use the thatcher and a grass gobbler for the spring cleanups and it works extremely well. ill be getting an ultravac for my lazer soon, and i will probably switch it over and use it with the exmark. A ton of guys around here have them, and all are very satisfied too.

edward hedrick
08-04-2002, 10:47 PM
For a cheap rake the Sears front mounted tractor rake works

well, Its 40" long. I have a 2' x 50" B-line Elec strut and 2 U bolts

or muffler clamps used on 52 Lesco and Walker. $ !00. Ed

rodfather
08-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Yo LGF...

... got one for the front of my Ferris 61" WB early this Spring. Awesome with the Trac Vac system attached for Spring Clean-ups too besides straight dethatching.

Think it ran me about $450 with install.

John Gamba
08-05-2002, 05:39 PM
What Rodfather Said. Real Money Maker. First Thing That Payed Itself Off The first Use.

Turfdude
08-05-2002, 11:03 PM
LGF,

Wazzup - too lazy to do a search??

I don't own one yet, but a few of my competitors in the area that do have them - love 'em. They claim they save a lot of turf raking in the spring. I don't think they should be used like a thatcher/power rake for fall lawn renovations.

Bob

edward hedrick
08-05-2002, 11:19 PM
The sears rake is $ 109. for a 40" rake

KLMlawn
08-06-2002, 01:55 AM
I have one and have had very good results ... although you might have to make a few passes (3 criscross usually is good) it does dethatch well, it is great for use in the spring to help lift out anything emmbedded from over the winter, and I have great results when renovating .... just do 2 passes at a diamond ... it breaks up the cores and sets the seed .... no problem.

Clint
08-06-2002, 04:02 AM
call me an idiot but what the hell are you talking about, de thatching? what is thatch? what are you guys hooking on your mowers to do this? thanks :)

clint

Ax Man
08-06-2002, 07:35 AM
My My Clint,
I don't think I would go into business If i knew nothing about it.
Thatch is the build up of clippings and such around the base of the grass.
It can get thick and impede water absorbtion, fertilizer etc.
I have walked lawns that felt like a sponge, the thatch was so thick.
The quick fix is to use a dethatcher, which is a heavy duty rake.
The type refered to in this thread is mounted on the front of the mower, to pull up the offending duff.
You may also get them with a motor so the rake spins and really ripps things up.
From my turf course in college though, the recomendation was to aerate, so that a more natural decomposition will occur.
I think that in the real world, a combination of the two is best.
The rake they are talking about is on my list, especially to comb out the matted grass we have here after the snow has been on the ground for a couple months.
Do Lots of research Clint.
Look for the search button, and use it.
Give your customers the correct answer, and you will always have work.
I'm not an expert, but if you have questions, I'll be glad to help.

Clint
08-06-2002, 02:31 PM
hmm, thx... does all grass have it? i cut mostly st. augustine and centipede, in fact, thats all I mow here in texas. i will go search it up. do you guys charge to do this? is it a very noticable difference in the grounds?

thx again
clint