PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer Engine Replacement

kcrudy
08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I am replacing the engine on my Lazer 27hp Kohler - got a new direct replacement engine - installed the engine and now when & try to start it it is blowing the fuses - I have found that if I disconnect the connector from the voltage regulator it will start and run but as soon as I reconnect the regulator it blows the fuse again, any ideas on what could be the problem.

Thanks In Advance

Restrorob
08-19-2010, 06:59 PM
My first thought is a defective/shorted regulator, Take the one off the old engine and try it on the new.....

kcrudy
08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
That was my thought also - so already tried that & still blows the fuses - what I cant figure out is that is doesn't just blow the one fuse - sometimes it blows the fuse in the start circuit and other times it blows the fuse at the charging circuit.

piston slapper
08-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Check the wires in the connector to the regulater.
The outer wires should be white ...the middle wire is blue or black.
Also check for continuity between the white wires and the engine...should be none.
The stator wires might have been pinched when the shrouds were installed.

Restrorob
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
While your checking the regulator connector also check the one on the ignition switch (especially the red "B" post) for rust/corrosion, Also the pto switch connector.

Once the ign. sw. "B" post gets rusty it causes a bad connection which burns/shorts out the contacts inside.