PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Lawn Renovation

Darryll
08-04-2002, 09:21 PM
I want to renovate my 1 acre backyard this fall with a new tall fescue lawn. Currently, my yard has weeds, brush, and vegetation and I am able to mow it with ease. I leave the clippings on the ground. This land was once (2yrs ago) a soybean farm and had some other vegetation on it which I can't identify by name. What steps do I need to take before establishing a new law. Should I kill the brush, weeds, and vegetation using Roundup or use a tiller to roll over the soil and roots. Should I hydo-seed or use conventional grass seeds (Rebel, Jr.) for establishing a new tall fescue lawn. Any advice will helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Pelican
08-05-2002, 09:44 AM
The first thing to do is take a soil sample to learn Ph, you should be between 6.5 and 7.5 for best results. Lime will bring the Ph up, acidic materials will bring it down. A good Farm and Home center can help you with the test and required materials for adjustment.

You're on the right track with the Roundup, you need to kill off the existing vegetation before seeding. Roundup or a similar product will ensure the plants are dead to the roots. You'll need to do this about a week in advance of seeding.

Finally, I'd hire or rent a Harley Rake, Preparator, Landscape Rake or similar machine to prepare the soil for seeding. They are specialized tillers which will fluff the top two inches of soil and pick out the rocks and remaining roots at the same time.

As far as seeding goes, hydroseeding is a bit more costly, but much more effective. All your steps are in one process, seeding, mulching and fertilizing. There is also a tackifier present which holds the seed and mulch to the soil. This will be more resistant to erosion and wind as well. I worked in a developement that had a high wind exposure and watched a seeded and hayed lawn job blow past my job site, two doors down. When I do lawn installations, I hire a hydroseeder to do the seeding, the results are far superior to the seed and straw method.