PDA

View Full Version : best way to rip these out.

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Give me some ideas on the best way to rip these junipers out...

I'm thinking skid steer.

There is a drip system installed...but it can be ripped out, and new irrigation can go in...possibly turf, or mulch with plantings going here.

About 130 linear ft.

Impressions Landscaping
08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Rent a mini excavator, shouldn't take you more than a few hours to take those out and neaten the place up. Or just get a good grub hoe and start swinging....Good luck!

gobblet
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Looks like some good man hours=$$$. cut greens off with saw/loppers then pic out the rest. This is only if an estimate is not around. I have removed so many of those ugly leaf holders.

SNAPPER MAN
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
4 day laborers with sharp ditch spades.
Posted via Mobile Device

newtostone
08-19-2010, 06:10 PM
min ex with a thumb, dump truck or trailer lined up on the road. at most one hour

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm liking these suggestions...

M RASCOE&SONS
08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
mini ex with a thumb is the best way.get there early so yo can put some cones and caution tape out in those parking spots,maybe a couple sheets of plywood that you can slide down with you to cut down on damage to the walk way and grass .just becarefull with underground utilities,just be on the side of caution and call before you dig.looks like a good money maker project with plenty of exposure for more work.good luck

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Pull them out with a bloody truck mate ... unless you wanna try to save them and sell them to some one ... come by early or late when no cars are there and just back the truck up ... chain them up and go shouldnt take much force ... not the most elegant way to go about it but gets the job done

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Im not sure if you can get a claw for a mini excavator but if you could you could get all that out in 20 minutes

bradseabridge
08-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah, mini-ex or a truck.

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
they want no roots left behind.

You guys got me thinking the mini ex with thumb is the way to go.

I'm not using a truck.

TKLAWN
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Skid and a chain, should make short work of it.

markahurley
08-19-2010, 07:40 PM
i know you just said you refuse to use a truck, but honestly, this is the most efficient way to do it. of all the other ways, it's the cheapest and quickest. just back your truck up to the main root of each, loop a rope around it, hook it to the truck, one tug, and it pops right out--roots and all. you will be amazed how quickly they come out. i've made some good money off these--estimating high thinking it would take forever, but doing it this way is quick and easy.

Mark Oomkes
08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Chain and truck are old school and inefficient.

Mini ex with thumb or Dingo with a grapple. Maybe even a small skid and a grapple. Or a U-bucket.

I timed a chain vs ripper hooks on a Dingo once on similar junipers. 30 seconds for a the ripper hooks, 2 mins for the chain.

markahurley
08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
sure, but then you've got the rental of the equipment, loading and unloading, pick up and drop off--i'd say that significantly adds to the 30 seconds.

purpleranger519
08-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Give me some ideas on the best way to rip these junipers out...

I'm thinking skid steer.

There is a drip system installed...but it can be ripped out, and new irrigation can go in...possibly turf, or mulch with plantings going here.

About 130 linear ft.

Mini with a thumb Marcus....only way to do it. My only question though is what are those clean outs too and are there drip lines in the beds, because there is some type of irrigation there it appears.
Most guys I've seen doing the chain and truck method usually have a case of beer in the back of the truck and are kicking empties out of the truck everytime they get out of it! :drinkup:

purpleranger519
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Mini with a thumb Marcus....only way to do it. My only question though is what are those clean outs too and are there drip lines in the beds, because there is some type of irrigation there it appears.
Most guys I've seen doing the chain and truck method usually have a case of beer in the back of the truck and are kicking empties out of the truck everytime they get out of it! :drinkup:

Didnt scroll down far enough to read the drip line part...lol:dizzy:

markahurley
08-19-2010, 08:19 PM

that's fair. most guys i've seen using the mini and thumb method are queer.

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Mini with a thumb Marcus....only way to do it.

Understood Boss.

Just gave me a good sig buddy.

:laugh:

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
that's fair. most guys i've seen using the mini and thumb method are queer.

so ummm..

how did you know they were queer?

got some kinda queer sensor in your pants?

markahurley
08-19-2010, 08:25 PM
seriously? i'm just pointing out how ludicrous that generalization was.

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Seriously? I'm just pointing out how ludicrous that generalization was.

markahurley
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
here's an idea: don't ask for advice if you don't want advice.

MarcSmith
08-19-2010, 08:32 PM
I vote for a skid steer with a grapple/claw bucket that way you can sift the dirt as you go. but the irrigation will be toast unless you hand dig or are real real careful

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
here's an idea: don't ask for advice if you don't want advice.

your right...

I should have asked for "good ideas" not just an idea.

TSB group
08-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I love how these threads go to a d#$k measuring contest. I always wonder how many of the hard azz advice givers are the ones who don't wave back when 2 lawn crews pass each other on the road.

purpleranger519
08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
so ummm..

how did you know they were queer?

got some kinda queer sensor in your pants?

:clapping: :laugh: :clapping:

I think they do, it usually takes one to know one from what I hear

Trevor8
08-19-2010, 08:43 PM
truck and chain

purpleranger519
08-19-2010, 08:51 PM
To me its just not real professional going and hooking up a log chain to a shrub and giving it a couple tugs. Especially when it looks to be in a business district or medical district possibly, great way to showcase your skills with that log chain.
And I know you would think those will pop right out but sure enough one won't and you'll have skid marks on the sidewalk or turf tore up.

MileHigh
08-19-2010, 08:58 PM
truck and chain

LOL.

To me its just not real professional going and hooking up a log chain to a shrub and giving it a couple tugs. Especially when it looks to be in a business district or medical district possibly, great way to showcase your skills with that log chain.
And I know you would think those will pop right out but sure enough one won't and you'll have skid marks on the sidewalk or turf tore up.

Agreed.

Not on a commercial please.

I would think about it for a resi with maybe one or two to pull...not 130ft.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I agree with the guys that say Dingo.....keep us posted and hope you get it!

bobcat48
08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Agree with the guys that said mini ex.

cgaengineer
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
A truck with a winch would pop those out in about a minute each. I pulled two very large butterfly bushes with 2.5 inch diameter trunks on Tuesday...it took longer to dispose of them or wrap the chain around them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will P.C.
08-19-2010, 10:42 PM
You have a few options as previously posted, but I would try to work with what equip I have so I do not lose money and time by renting.

cgaengineer
08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Renting a dingo is cool and all, but trust me...nothing works better that 6000-9000 pounds of pulling force with a winch and a log to roll out the stubborn ones...you won't get that much pulling force with a dingo.
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
winch is the best way, that's how I do it and it doesn't look wack.

cgaengineer
08-19-2010, 10:53 PM
winch is the best way, that's how I do it and it doesn't look wack.

Its super fast with 2 people.
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
08-19-2010, 10:57 PM
absolutely, but just as fast with a remote operated winch and one person!

cgaengineer
08-19-2010, 10:58 PM
My 3 Warns are not equipped with that handy feature! That would also eliminate pinched winch control cable...I only have one without tape on it!
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
08-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Haha, yeah I know the feeling. you can watch it the whole time. You can get a remote on mine with like a 20 foot cable. Hell yeah I love that thing. you can hook up and rip it out all without moving your feet.

LoweJ82
08-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I like using the skidsteer and poping them out, Ive used it to pull them out with a chain, not something you wanna do in that area, I agree a mini ex with or without a thumb would work best, Like the other person said be sure to either get there early or go the night before and block that run of parking so you have room to work with less risk of preoperty damage.

cgaengineer
08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I'll post a video of the butterfly bushes I removed earlier this week tomorrow. Customer wanted the trees disposed on site which it took longer to drag them to the dump area than pulling them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

fastpine
08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I would use my truck and a chain forsure..I would do it at 9pm,,after dinner, so as to cut down on traffic and passers by..Why waste time and money on rentals, when you already have the tools to get the job done..

cgaengineer
08-19-2010, 11:29 PM
How are you going to get the ones out with a skidsteer that are near the trees? You may only have 1500 pounds of upforce with a skid steer...you maybe doing a bunch of slamming (rear end coming off the ground) with a skid steer...1500 pounds of up force is not much.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Its all about how you run the machine and work the bucket, I rip out massive bush stumps no problem, Dont just dig the bucket in and try to lift out.

Fireguy97
08-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Mini's with thumbs and chains might work faster. One of the landscapers that I work with removed a little over 60' of junipers with a pick-ax and sweat. One man, less than a day. Some of the trunks were like trees. He worked like a dog and only broke my irrigation lines in one spot.

Mick

tallrick
08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Surprised nobody suggested skid steer with chain. I have pulled out a lot of brazillian pepper trees from planted areas, next to sheds and in fencelines with a chain or strap on the skidsteer. Pulling horizontally with a truck is not as efficient as straight up.

LoweJ82
08-20-2010, 01:16 AM
I like using the skidsteer and poping them out, Ive used it to pull them out with a chain,.

Surprised nobody suggested skid steer with chain.

:sleeping:

Mark Oomkes
08-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Renting a dingo is cool and all, but trust me...nothing works better that 6000-9000 pounds of pulling force with a winch and a log to roll out the stubborn ones...you won't get that much pulling force with a dingo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great idea and much more professional than a chain.

But this too, assumes one has a winch. The other thing is he's form Denver so things don't grow quite as deep and long as by you. Not near the root system.

Never seen a butterfly bush over 1" 'trunk' by me.

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Great idea and much more professional than a chain.

But this too, assumes one has a winch. The other thing is he's form Denver so things don't grow quite as deep and long as by you. Not near the root system.

Never seen a butterfly bush over 1" 'trunk' by me.

Somebody had let these get out of hand...hence the reason for removal.

I have used the winch more for pulling logs and removing trees and shrubs more than I have used it to pull myself or someone out with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthTXlawnguy
08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
After reading and looking at the pictures I would avoid the truck and chain as well as the excavator if there is irrigation present (unless you are licensed and able to repair and can figure the cost to do so without seeing what is under there). I would dig em out by hand with a helper. Less than a day most likely and no equipment cost with much less chance of damaging anything. Should result in as much or more profit as well, assuming you would have to rent the excavator. Also assuming you have a day to do this...

Mark Oomkes
08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
After reading and looking at the pictures I would avoid the truck and chain as well as the excavator if there is irrigation present (unless you are licensed and able to repair and can figure the cost to do so without seeing what is under there). I would dig em out by hand with a helper. Less than a day most likely and no equipment cost with much less chance of damaging anything. Should result in as much or more profit as well, assuming you would have to rent the excavator. Also assuming you have a day to do this...

Dig junipers out by hand?

Somebody has a whole lot more ambition than me. If it can be done with equipment, I'll find a way.

Call me lazy but I consider it working smarter not harder.

But anywho, if one charged $35 an hour, that would equal $560 plus disposal. For an 8 hour day.

A mini X\Dingo\SS would be maybe an hour and if you got it done in half a day you have wages of $175 (5 hours) and even if you were charged $200 for the equipment rental and a markup you're still way ahead in costs.

As for the irrigation, chances are fairly good it is pinched by roots in that small of an area already and it needs to be updated, which is what the OP said.

JMHDAO

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I charged $35 for each tree I removed...the customer was delighted!
Posted via Mobile Device

Graveslawncare
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I have used a truck before, but if I was facing that job I would probably rent a skid steer with pallet forks and use a log chain along with the forks to lift them straight out. I've seen it done that way and it seemed to be pretty easy and efficient imo. Good luck, and post some pics of whatever you end up doing :)

tallrick
08-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I have used a truck before, but if I was facing that job I would probably rent a skid steer with pallet forks and use a log chain along with the forks to lift them straight out. I've seen it done that way and it seemed to be pretty easy and efficient imo. Good luck, and post some pics of whatever you end up doing :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick
Surprised nobody suggested skid steer with chain.

Yes as mentioned twice before, the skid steer/chain method seems like a winner! It's much faster with two guys but one can do it if he can get in and out a hundred times or so.

PROCUT1
08-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Boy guys like to overcomplicate things. All the above methods would work. The customer wont give a rats tail how you do it as long as you dont interfere with their business. Truck and chain does not have to be all hillbilly psycho. Short chain easy little tug and they pop right out. You dont need to floor it and smoke the tires.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
08-20-2010, 08:26 PM
id just use the truck with chain, i woudlent even bother towing my tractor out there to pull a few junipers.

Turf Commando
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Chain and truck, old school engineering ....

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Chain and truck, old school engineering ....

And cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
use your plow!

deerewashed
08-20-2010, 11:37 PM
ya i have used the plow before...put the plow on and took the blade off...attach a long chain to where it pulls the plow up and pull up to the plant wrap it around and pull the blade up! easy and then you can drive around with it and drop it on a tarp or sumptin...

Turf Commando
08-20-2010, 11:41 PM
And cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
True, more profit also....

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I hope these shrubs are gone by now!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
08-21-2010, 12:10 PM
A loader should do the trick! :usflag:

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-21-2010, 01:21 PM
ya i have used the plow before...put the plow on and took the blade off...attach a long chain to where it pulls the plow up and pull up to the plant wrap it around and pull the blade up! easy and then you can drive around with it and drop it on a tarp or sumptin...

I dont see how a plow would have that much power to tear out a shrub.......
If anything it would just make the front end of the truck go down IMO
Great way to break a plow doin somethin stupid/ something it wasnt made for...

deerewashed
08-21-2010, 03:34 PM
well i plow with a gator not a truck...and that was a beater farm plowtruck..1985 chevy 2500 with plow....put an old cylinder pump from a large loader on it just because we needed it for the plow...it work great.

oakwdman
08-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I say burn them...
LOL