PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Sport 42"....Mulching

horsequick
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Ok I've had the Hustler Sport 42" with the mulching kit installed for several months now. It has the Honda engine. I love the engine....it's very quiet and seems to have adequate power.
The only complaint I have is that I've never seen a mower that simply cannot mulch. I guess the deck just isn't deep enough?? I cut my bermudagrass and it leaves a lot of clumps on top.
Does anyone else have this problem? I've even tried going as slow as the hydraulic system will let me and it really isn't any better.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of anything with this particular mower. I'm just very unhappy with it.

mowerconsultant
08-20-2010, 12:53 PM
How tall is the grass? how much are you taking off in a single pass? is the grass dry?
Are you running the wavy blades for the mulching kit?

Pj

horsequick
08-20-2010, 08:00 PM
How tall is the grass? how much are you taking off in a single pass? is the grass dry?
Are you running the wavy blades for the mulching kit?

Pj

It's grass that I cut once a week. It hasn't been watered or fertilized all year. I havnt went as far to measure how much I'm cutting off But its not excessive. What I have done is last week I had 2 friends come over with their mowers. We all cut 3 strips of grass. The exmark did so well it looked as if the lawn was bagged. The gravely was great but not quite as good as the exmark. Now my hustler, I was leaving windrows as if I were about to bale hay.
What's worse is they mowed fast and I was mowing very slow. They are the wavy mulching blades.

That meg-mo system looks interesting that was mentioned above. I may try that next.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerconsultant
08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
It's grass that I cut once a week. It hasn't been watered or fertilized all year. I havnt went as far to measure how much I'm cutting off But its not excessive. What I have done is last week I had 2 friends come over with their mowers. We all cut 3 strips of grass. The exmark did so well it looked as if the lawn was bagged. The gravely was great but not quite as good as the exmark. Now my hustler, I was leaving windrows as if I were about to bale hay.
What's worse is they mowed fast and I was mowing very slow. They are the wavy mulching blades.

That meg-mo system looks interesting that was mentioned above. I may try that next.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not sure that the meg-mo system will change your results, I would talk to your dealer first about this, I have mulched with the 42 and 48 Sports and they both did great, both stock with the wavy mulching blades, left a great cut with no clippings on top.
I was only taking off about 1/3 of the total grass height.

Pj

Sport42
08-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Several Sport owners on here have had problems with blowing and clumping grass....Some, including muself, have to mow twice in some situations...

Toro 44
08-23-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd be curious to know how the other mowers in the comparison were set up.

Were all three mowers mulching? or was there side discharge goin on?

horsequick
09-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd be curious to know how the other mowers in the comparison were set up.

Were all three mowers mulching? or was there side discharge goin on?

All three were mulching. To be fair the other mowers were true commercial machines. I've always thought a commercial mower would last longer but didn't think the quality of cut would be that much different.
I'm a very easy person to make happy. As a matter of fact, I've never complained or had an issue with any equipment I've ever owned. I just feel I made the wrong decision buying this mower. Guess I can sell it and just count my losses.

horsequick
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I just went the whole summer and I think I just figured out why this mower isn't mulching good for me. The dealer installed the mulch kit. They put mulch blades and blocked the discharge chute. On Hustler's web site it looks like the complete mulch kit includes some type of baffles under the deck as well that mine doesn't have.

mowerconsultant
12-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I just went the whole summer and I think I just figured out why this mower isn't mulching good for me. The dealer installed the mulch kit. They put mulch blades and blocked the discharge chute. On Hustler's web site it looks like the complete mulch kit includes some type of baffles under the deck as well that mine doesn't have.

The 42" mulch kits we use don't use a baffle between the blades, all of our decks larger than 42" use baffles between the blades.
Yours isn't missing a baffle.

Pj

superman9379
12-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I personally installed the mulch kit on my Hustler Sport 42" with Honda motor this fall. There was indeed a baffle that went between the blades. The part number for the kit that included the mulching blades, baffle, and chute blocker was 112609.

mowerconsultant
12-14-2010, 11:26 AM
I personally installed the mulch kit on my Hustler Sport 42" with Honda motor this fall. There was indeed a baffle that went between the blades. The part number for the kit that included the mulching blades, baffle, and chute blocker was 112609.

I should of mentioned that the Sport he has doesn't use it, sorry.
Yours has a rear swept deck, his has a forward swept deck, this was a running change this past year.

Pj

horsequick
03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I should of mentioned that the Sport he has doesn't use it, sorry.
Yours has a rear swept deck, his has a forward swept deck, this was a running change this past year.

Pj

Ahh...I think we just figured it out. Mine is indeed a rear swept deck as well. My anti scalp tire is in the rear left side of the deck indicated a rear swept deck. So I guess I'm needing the baffles that was designed for this deck. Wow, the dealer I purchased this from should've known this. Gonna see if I can get the baffles put on and try it when the grass comes in this year.

drforster
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Did you get the baffels and did that fix your issue?

horsequick
05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Did you get the baffels and did that fix your issue?

Yes I did get the baffles. It's a much better machine now. I still have to sometimes run over some clumping but it's nothing like it used to be. And it really doesn't take much time...just raise the deck up a half inch and roll fast over the rows. I have the gator blades on it now and I'm gonna switch back to the wavy mulching blades tomorrow to see the difference.

nitecapt
05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Yes I did get the baffles. It's a much better machine now. I still have to sometimes run over some clumping but it's nothing like it used to be. And it really doesn't take much time...just raise the deck up a half inch and roll fast over the rows. I have the gator blades on it now and I'm gonna switch back to the wavy mulching blades tomorrow to see the difference.
Please explain rear swept vs front swept decks. I was thinking about a 2011 sport, but now I'm getting nervous about the clumping. My Honda 21" struggles through the dense juicy spring grass.

mowerconsultant
05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
The swept deck term just means we mounted the deck in the frame with the discharge chute in the front of the right side of the frame, that's forward swept.
It is now a rear swept mount.

Pj