PDA

View Full Version : Super Z Backfiring

cbkc
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
PJ - I asked this at the beginning of the season with no solution found so I wanted to see if there have been any new solutions. My 24hp Honda is backfiring on shut down on my Super Z...it's really loud and only does it when it's warm. I took it to the dealer and they tried adjusting the carb but nothing seems to work. The muffler is really rusty for some reason and may have some pin holes in it, could this be thre reason due to some back pressure issue? None of my other Hustlers (2) have had this issue but they have had the Kawasaki's. Any suggestions?? I'm tired of scaring anyone within a 2 block radius when I shut it down on the trailer. And yes I have tried EVERY possible shut down scenario including with the throttle including idling at the lowest and/or half throttle for a long time before shutting it off. I have had plenty of other machines with every engine out there and have never had this issue...I'm frustrated and puzzled.

mowerconsultant
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
We really need to get this into the dealer and he has to call his Honda regional service manager and they need to solve this.
The distributor we buy the Honda engines from is in your city and they are top notch, I am sure they can get this solved with your dealer.

Pj

mike haynes
08-20-2010, 03:07 PM
i was told to shut down all of the newer engines at 60% or more throttle and it will not back fire.i have done this on my new 23/48 mower and it does not back fire.if i bring the idle to the slow position it does back fire.now i have a kawaski motor not honda.

cbkc
08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
What dealer in KC should I take it to? The mower is a 2004 but it has a new Honda engine installed in the spring by a Hustler dealer in Wichita, KS so it's under Warranty.

mowerconsultant
08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
What dealer in KC should I take it to? The mower is a 2004 but it has a new Honda engine installed in the spring by a Hustler dealer in Wichita, KS so it's under Warranty.

I am not familiar with the dealers in your area, but make sure its a authorized Honda engine dealer also and be sure to have the purchase and install records of that engine.

Pj

mark12
08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I had an 02 super z with the 24hp honda...was doing the same thing. I never could get anything to work to stop the back fire. I was told let it run at 50% power for 45 seconds up to 2 minutes. Yea I know it is very loud.....a few times it happened just as I was walking past the muffler...talk about a wake up call....I sold the mower and prob wouldn't get another with the honda. aven't had any probs with kawasaki.

okievarmint
08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Have you tried the diode wire? A diode wire assembly, part number 792358, can be installed on a Super Z hydraulic cooling fan. This eliminates the electrical back surge from the fan when the ignition key is turned off and the cooling fan is winding down. Units produced after September 2004 have the diode installed as part of the fan wire assembly.

cbkc
09-02-2010, 04:20 AM
That's the first I've heard of a "diode" wire. Can you tell me more? How hard is it to install since my machine (2004) wasn't designed from the factory to have it.

puppypaws
09-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Shut it off at 3/4 to full throttle and your problem should be solved. I had a 27 Kohler that would backfire when switched off at anything less than full throttle. I talked with the Kohler factory, their engineering department is the one that gave me this advice, it has solved the problem on every Kohler engine I have given the owner this information.

I will be honest, this is the first I've heard anyone mention a Honda engine ever backfiring, but try the Kohler remedy, and let us know if your problem was solved.

okievarmint
09-04-2010, 09:55 AM
That's the first I've heard of a "diode" wire. Can you tell me more? How hard is it to install since my machine (2004) wasn't designed from the factory to have it.
Go to your Hustler Dealer and order the part# in the previous post. Plugs right in.

okievarmint
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Shut it off at 3/4 to full throttle and your problem should be solved. I had a 27 Kohler that would backfire when switched off at anything less than full throttle. I talked with the Kohler factory, their engineering department is the one that gave me this advice, it has solved the problem on every Kohler engine I have given the owner this information.

I will be honest, this is the first I've heard anyone mention a Honda engine ever backfiring, but try the Kohler remedy, and let us know if your problem was solved.

The vast majority of backfiring after shut-off that I have seen has been with Hondas! 2004 and back, the majority of the Hondas on Z- series would backfire. Proper shut-down would take care of some, but most (prior to Hustler installing the diode from the factory) would require the diode to stop backfiring after shut-off. Kohlers and Kawasakis seem to respond better to proper shut-down.