PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of Bamboo effectivly?

affprop
08-04-2002, 10:58 PM
I have a bank that has bamboo coming out of everywhere. I have been trying for two years to get rid of this s###! I have sprayed all kinds os chemicals from Round-up to Spectracide to Ortho, I was just told about spraying with Round-up concentate mixed with Kerosene, I dont know it seems to strong. If I spray with that it wont hurt anything else, nothing around Bamboo. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

VLM
08-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Bamboo is a big problem around here too. Many people think it will make a nice accent planting or screen but dont realize that after a few years it can get completely out of control. I dont know of any effective herbicides so here's what I do. Chop down the existing stand and then in the spring dilligently whack down the new shoots. They are very soft and this is quick work but ofcourse needs to be done annually. On the bright side, I am told that after 50 years a stand of bamboo flowers and then completely dies off, so you only have to wait a few more decades, hehe. Good luck.

Fantasy Lawns
08-04-2002, 11:55 PM
http://www.americanbamboo.org/GeneralInfoPages/ControllingBamboo.html

we cut it down ....keep the area mowed until the plants reserves are exhausted .... good luck

65hoss
08-05-2002, 02:11 AM
Good luck. I've never been able to get rid of it for any customer or friend. One small piece of root will regenerate itself in no time.

strickdad
08-05-2002, 02:37 AM
no known way to man!!! lol

Ax Man
08-05-2002, 07:53 AM
Yeah Iv'e been having trouble with it too, so I just ordered a new.....

Panda Bear!

awm
08-05-2002, 09:24 AM
3 options 1 sell fishing poles on the side o the rd. 2get a panda bear. 3 invent a use for the bamboo. u know they build build houses out of it somplaces .:)
not sure they would make code, here tho.

TurfGuyTX
08-18-2002, 07:06 PM
The only time I've seen it effectively controlled, some guys used a back hoe to dig it out completely. Otherwise it will be an ongoing battle. Good luck.