PDA

View Full Version : Discoloration from being mowed too low.

Amazing
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
New sod laid about 3 weeks ago. KBG

Growing,rooting, filling nicely, then the homeowner did his first cut too low. 50% I'd say. It's not scalped, but slightly discolored (light green).

I'm just looking for a good answer to give him on how to bring it back to a lush dark green and minimize on weeds/stress. When/how much to water and for how long to get it back. Anything else that can help.

Appreciate the help .. I'm new to this and I don't want to give the wrong answer.

Big Bad Bob
08-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Growing,rooting, filling nicely, then the homeowner did his first cut too low. 50% I'd say. It's not scalped, but slightly discolored (light green).

I'm just looking for a good answer to give him on how to bring it back to a lush dark green and minimize on weeds/stress. When/how much to water and for how long to get it back. Anything else that can help.

Appreciate the help .. I'm new to this and I don't want to give the wrong answer.
Tell him that, dammit, he's cutting too low! Tell him you aren't responsible for his bad practices. And, charge him for the advice. That is the right answer.

dgw
08-20-2010, 06:50 PM
so cut too much off then?

if so, nothing it will be fine in a couple days

same if cut it to low then tell him to cut it 3-31/2 inches

jeffslawnservice
08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
i think it will be fine in a few days but just in case tell him to water it a little extra. Morning and evening (after 5 but not to late and not a whole lot of water because you do not want root rot or any other diseases.) And make sure you let him know that he needs to cut it higher. Home owners always come back all pissed off where there sod dies after they cut it too short. And its even after i tell them and give them written instructions about how to take care of sod.

Big Bad Bob
08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
i think it will be fine in a few days but just in case tell him to water it a little extra. Morning and evening (after 5 but not to late and not a whole lot of water because you do not want root rot or any other diseases.) And make sure you let him know that he needs to cut it higher. Home owners always come back all pissed off where there sod dies after they cut it too short. And its even after i tell them and give them written instructions about how to take care of sod.

Actually early morning is the best time to water. The earlier the better.

Amazing
08-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks guys. So the nice dark colour should come back in a couple of weeks then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Bad Bob
08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys. So the nice dark color should come back in a couple of weeks then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Should be ok as long as it isn't scalped any more.
One thing that wasn't clear. Is he blaming you for it changing color? And where are you at? If I laid sod right now it would be brown in a week from the heat.

Amazing
08-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Should be ok as long as it isn't scalped any more.
One thing that wasn't clear. Is he blaming you for it changing color? And where are you at? If I laid sod right now it would be brown in a week from the heat.

Nah, not blaming me at all .. just looking for advise more than anything.

It's not terrible to tell you the truth, but I want to be able to give him an informed answer. His neighbor has the same sod with the same grass types and keeps it high (4"). So of course he's got a deep green carpet.

I live in Canada in Edmonton, AB. Weather here doesn't really get too hot .. :canadaflag:

Anyway, here is a pic of the lawn.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x54/only1christopher/bb09177f.jpg

clean_cut
08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Looks pretty nice, tell him he can just mow it higher with a little extra water :)

Smallaxe
08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
The funny thing about sod, is that if you once scalp the top, in the same way the roots were scalped... watch for dead spots. Pretty sensitive, in some areas if it was cut close on a 'bump' in the lawn...

shooterm
08-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Make a sod flyer and hand it out everytime your around sod. Its picky stuff and most people dont know how to handle it when its new.

papabotts
09-01-2010, 07:38 PM
If you need to green up something fast just take some milorganite or similar organic food with a goodly amount of iron and it will not only green things up quick, but if you use something like plant health care's Healthy start 3:4:3, something I use in all my sod installs, you will have a fast growing root system before you know what happened.
Good luck
And if the corners are browning out because they lift up from soil contact, just take a few staples like you use to pin in weed cloth or weed block, and staple down the edges of the sod in the toughest spots. I also sometimes pack in a little topsoil or seeding mulch in the hard to moisten spots to ensure the lawn in perfect, even on the edges.