PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new truck

PGold
08-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Business has been growing for me, and I want my operation to be as professional as possible. I am retiring my regular cab f250 5.4 and buying a new truck. I want a crew cab 3/4 or 1 ton truck that looks very sharp and I am going with a diesel. I have been out of the diesel truck game for a about a year and I am having trouble deciding what to get. I want to keep it around 20,000 and I want to get the best fuel economy possible. I know the 2003/2004 6.0 Powerstrokes have major issues with the egr, head bolts, fuel economy, etc. I can get a 2003 7.3, which is a solid motor with plenty of power and awesome efficiency. The only downside is the fact that it is a 7 year old truck. I can also get a 2005/2006 Chevy/GMC Duramax, but I don't know a lot about their true fuel efficiency. I used to hop out of our 7.3 and drive a company Duramax and it would blow my mind that it was a diesel since it is so much quieter, so it is definitely at the top of my list. I don't want another truck that gets 15 mpg. I am hoping that the next truck will get a little bit better. Are the later model 6.0's decent engines with all the updates? From what I have heard the 6.4's fuel efficiency is definitely not the best. I don't want to know about the economy of super chipped out diesels. Just some real world experience from daily drivers.

Ozz
08-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I get 19 with nothing in my '02 7.3.

DoetschOutdoor
08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
What are you planning on towing? Getting over 15mpg towing anything heavy is out of the question unless you maybe do all hwy driving. My 06 cummins will get 20mpg IF it is all highway but who really does that more than a few times a year? Im getting about 12-13mpg towing around 5500lbs all city driving for the lawn route. When I get done early on a friday and dont mow again till monday and put a few miles on the truck, the average for not towing is around 14-15mpg for city driving.

Do you already have the 03 Ford found and ready to buy? Thats not the easiest truck to find and you better have the cash because no bank will loan on that old a truck for that much dough. You dont hafta worry bout the 6.4 bc all those trucks will be well over $20k price range still unless HIGH miles

mowerbrad
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
You may want to raise your $20,000 budget if you are wanting a duramax diesel, especially the 05/06 you mentioned. Any diesel right now is going to be expensive. I'd say $25k would be about the lowest I'd spend right now to get a nice diesel. I was going to buy a duramax because I wanted the fuel economy that a diesel provides and the power for towing. But when I started to look into actually buying one, all I could find were high mileage trucks or first generation LB7's. I too wanted almost exactly what you do (05 duramax, crew cab and all for around $20k). But I soon realized that I would have to spend at least $27k+ just to get what I wanted.

Since then, I actually decided on an 07 chevy 6.0L gas that I pick up this evening. I just realized that right now, gas is probably better for me and still will out tow my current 6.5 diesel.

STIHL GUY
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Since then, I actually decided on an 07 chevy 6.0L gas that I pick up this evening. I just realized that right now, gas is probably better for me and still will out tow my current 6.5 diesel.

i have an 05 6.0L gas and it has plenty of power depending on what your towing it might be better to get a gasser...

castlerockmo
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I just traded off my 05 6.0 diesel for a 08 5.4 gasser. To many problems with my 6.0 PSD.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
08-23-2010, 08:20 PM
How much do your drive per year. That is what you must use to justify the diesel. If you're under 50k mpy I doubt it'll be worth the premium.
Posted via Mobile Device

PGold
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I do drive less than 50,000 miles per year. Last year I put about 30,000 miles on my truck. And also, the trailer that I frequently tow is a 16' equipment trailer with a zero turn mower and a few other fairly light items. I have a 10,000 pound skid steer with trailer that I tow irregularly throughout the year. I also tow a 10,000+lb boat at least every other weekend. I have pulled the boat with my 5.4 and I have pulled it with a 2007 Chevrolet 6.0 classic. I don't see any difference in the amount of power with the 6.0. The 6.0 actually seemed a bit weak on inclines. I am not as concerned about the loaded fuel economy as the unloaded economy. I have cash to buy the truck, but I would prefer to finance. I test drove a 2008 Duramax and I am thinking hard about upping the budget and getting a new body style 2007-2008 Duramax. I'm thinking a 2007 will be worth something in a few years and the older models won't be worth much.

groundskeeperllc
08-24-2010, 07:15 AM
you may want to consider an dodge with the 5.9 cummins, around town hauling my 16' open with two mowers I would get around 17, highway pullin around 65mph I can get 20, I've been runnig Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel and a few weeks ago we went on a trip (no trailer) and drove 750 miles and got 28 miles to the gallon over the whole trip, mostly highway miles

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a diesel is the way to go for you. The duramax is a very nice engine but also very expensive when it comes to repairs. If you up the budget, it will probably be for the best. In 06 you can get the 6 speed transmission which will help a little with fuel economy. I love driving duramax trucks, I think the drive better than other brands (but thats all personal opinion).

Either way, increase your budget and get a newer duramax, you'll be happy.

grass catcher
08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I get 19 with nothing in my '02 7.3.

what gear rearend you running I have 02 f250 7.3 auto w/4:10 rear and I get 12