PDA

View Full Version : 34HP Kawasaki blown up

ilc79
08-20-2010, 08:48 PM
does anybody know what the problem is with the kawasaki 34hp, ive seen a couple people having problems with them on here ,mine blew up my dealer called and they sent a new engine and its knocking real loud now its on a next lazer z with 60 inch deck blew up at 500hrs and now the new one is knocking with 150hrs,kinda worried bought another lazer with a 29 kawasaki same deck it has 225hrs no problems yet, bought the 29 cause the 34 uses to much gas and i dont see that much power diffrence.

HenryB
08-20-2010, 08:57 PM
These Kawy big blocks have serious problems especially the 37's. Do a search? Sorry about your troubles.

ilc79
08-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Henry is the 29 considered a big block I also have a 31kawy on a wright zk that has had alot of problems and is burning oil with 300hrs on it.

HenryB
08-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Not sure on the 29. The new Kawy's are not like their previous engines. I'd show your dealer all the threads on Lawnsite about their problems. I went through two 37's before I installed a 32 Vanguard out of my own pocket. So much for warranty.

TLS
08-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Have a demo LazerZ with the 29 Kawi and it sounds like it has a bad valve tap. Lot of power, but a NOISY engine.

r.eckley
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
I have a nlz with a 29 kaw and it is really noisy,sounds like the valve train is going to come apart. Prob. had 10 or 12 mowers in the last 15 yrs. ,this is my first kaw. & prob my last. Good power, good fuel econ. but the noise drives crazy. Have a 35 Briggs on a xs much more quiet.About 425 hrs on Kaw.

TLS
08-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Good to know. If I do go with a next LazerZ, I'll likely go with the 38 Kohler. This noise IS irritating. Sounds like it needs the valves adjusted.

P.S. this demo unit has 195hrs on it. Oil is full, but VERY dark.

HenryB
08-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Thats how it starts. The oil turns black after 20 or so hours.. Then downhill fast. I'm shocked Kawy is putting out this junk.

means09
08-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I have a nlz with a 29 kaw and it is really noisy,sounds like the valve train is going to come apart. Prob. had 10 or 12 mowers in the last 15 yrs. ,this is my first kaw. & prob my last. Good power, good fuel econ. but the noise drives crazy. Have a 35 Briggs on a xs much more quiet.About 425 hrs on Kaw.

This is basically what happened to my mower. I have a next lazer z with a 29 hp Kawi. The valves came apart somehow and they shot up threw the block or head of the motor. My motor had 575 hrs on it. The dealer said that another next lazer z mower had the same problem with the valves comming apart and going through the block. He said that this is the only major problems he has seen with the next lazer z's. The rep for Kawi did not admit that they have a problem with these motors they just sent a brand new motor under warranty. The motor was less then a year old.

jkilov
08-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Looks like it's a good idea to replace these valves every 400 hrs or so for owners that are out of warranty, just for preventive sake, there are six of them though.

This is just Kawi typical. In the motorcycle world kawi is consider cheap, every new bike they come out with is plagued with problems during first and second year. After that they become fair products for a fair price but nothing exceptional.

StihlMechanic
08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I just replaced the second engine under warr on a Lazer z yesterday. 900 hours, 3rd engine. Exhaust valve broke of into the engine and went out exhaust. Kawasaki sent a new one, they are good about that at least.

means09
08-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I just replaced the second engine under warr on a Lazer z yesterday. 900 hours, 3rd engine. Exhaust valve broke of into the engine and went out exhaust. Kawasaki sent a new one, they are good about that at least.

when was the first engine replaced About how many hrs was on it?

StihlMechanic
08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
when was the first engine replaced About how many hrs was on it?

At about 500 hours, same problem. Kawasaki tech support cracks me up. They wanted the head, camshaft, pushrods and lifters as if they didnt believe me on the phone. They know about they problem, just wont admit to it. Kawasaki's are known for valve problems. I dont care what model engine it is, they cant design a valve train that lasts. That is why my Toro Z I just bought has a Kohler Command.

means09
09-02-2010, 09:22 PM
At about 500 hours, same problem. Kawasaki tech support cracks me up. They wanted the head, camshaft, pushrods and lifters as if they didnt believe me on the phone. They know about they problem, just wont admit to it. Kawasaki's are known for valve problems. I dont care what model engine it is, they cant design a valve train that lasts. That is why my Toro Z I just bought has a Kohler Command.

It seems like Kawasaki has a problem with these newer vertical shaft engines. My dealer believes that Kawasaki may have a minor problem with their valve trains. Kawasaki would rather let a engine blow up and send a new one then admit to a problem and recall it. I am no mechanic but this seems very odd to me. Example. A simple warranty fix such as a weak valve spring retainer clip could be the fix but Kawi would rather take a chance and let it run out of warranty and out of their hands.

This also reminds me of how exmark would not replace thier PLASTIC idler pulleys on the next lazer z under warranty. They would only replace them if they completly broke and chewed up the $123 dollar belt with it. But in the 2010 next year production they all went to steel pulleys. Some companies try to save money by cutting corners and then it bites them in the a**

STIHL MECHANIC In you opinion do you think that these new engines that Kawi sent you have different parts in the valve trains? Comparing them to the ones that have blown up?

StihlMechanic
09-02-2010, 11:09 PM
It seems like Kawasaki has a problem with these newer vertical shaft engines. My dealer believes that Kawasaki may have a minor problem with their valve trains. Kawasaki would rather let a engine blow up and send a new one then admit to a problem and recall it. I am no mechanic but this seems very odd to me. Example. A simple warranty fix such as a weak valve spring retainer clip could be the fix but Kawi would rather take a chance and let it run out of warranty and out of their hands.

This also reminds me of how exmark would not replace thier PLASTIC idler pulleys on the next lazer z under warranty. They would only replace them if they completly broke and chewed up the $123 dollar belt with it. But in the 2010 next year production they all went to steel pulleys. Some companies try to save money by cutting corners and then it bites them in the a**

STIHL MECHANIC In you opinion do you think that these new engines that Kawi sent you have different parts in the valve trains? Comparing them to the ones that have blown up?

No, I dont believe there has been a change made as of yet, and Kawasaki keeps us in the dark, until the day they send out a service update to remove and replace all defective engines under warr. The engine model and code where the same, new and defective engine.

Years ago, when the FJ180v came out for the toro 21 commercial, they had problem after problem until the fourth engine revision. First, head gasket blows out, second, new style head gasket blows out, third, pan gasket and engine brake pad, forth, no problems so far. These engines had a new spec number at the end of the model number, AS01, BS01, CS01, DS01. The new 34 hp I installed had the same spec code. When filing a warr as a mechanic, you must identify the failed part, by part number on the claim that is sent to the manufacture. The part number was the same, no supersessions that suggest an improvement. The engine I installed will prob fail in a matter of 400-700 hours.

ilc79
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Stihl mechanic is it just the 34hp or the 29hp and 31hp too.

StihlMechanic
09-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Stihl mechanic is it just the 34hp or the 29hp and 31hp too.

All of these "new style" kawasaki engines have valve issues, but for some reason the 34hp is the one I see the most. It is a very popular engine over the 29 so that maybe why I have seen more 34's fail. I bought a new G3 toro (same as lazer Z) with a Kohler command for a reason. Kawasakis are smooth running engines but every model I have seen over the past 10 years has had some kind of valve train/head issue. Even the old flathead kawasaki single cylinders had problems with their valve seats popping out. If you are in the market for a Toro or Exmark, I strongly recommend the Kohler. They run loader, backfire when you shut them off, require oil changes more often, but at least they outlast the factory warranty, lol. I have a customer with one that has 3200 hours. He only uses synthetic oil and changes it every 25 hours. Short of that, get a diesel.