PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a stander

Mr Distinctive
08-04-2002, 11:54 PM
Looking at upgrading my equipment for small lots in hgh end residential properties.
I was in a dealership looking at these Wright 'Stander' units 36" to 61". Not sure how the crews would react to standing instead of riding or walking. Anybody out there with any experience with this, or other, standing product?

Ferdelance
08-06-2002, 12:02 AM
If you are you are using the standers for residential properties you will see how much more productive they are than other mowers. Standers are great for small to medium large lawns. I think your crew will enjoy using them.

KLMlawn
08-06-2002, 02:25 AM
I am an avid proponent of Wright Standers, I have two ... one for two years and one about 3 weeks old.
Don't worry about the stand vs. sitting, you or anyone will get the hang of it in a half a day and be a pro on it in a week ... just remember about the concept of using a hydro and turning, both wheels have to be in motion or you will tare the grass.
You get much better visibility of your mowing area while standing, it can trim just as close as a Walker on the trim side, it handles well on hills, both up and down and horizontally, plus, if things do get squirrely, you can jump off right away as opposed to having to try and and do a high dive off the machine.
If it gets stuck in a soft or muddy spot, you can step off and lighten the load and still be able to "walk" it out.
Ground speed averages between 7.5 (on the 36" & 42")and 8.5 mph (on all others), basically because of the diameter of the tires.
They are a solid, well built machine. They cut and stripe well, and their mulching kit does a good job up north here and would probably do even better on the coarser grasses down south.

scott's turf
08-06-2002, 09:11 AM
I demoed a 52" stander before I purchased my Lazer hp and I though the stander was horible on hills, just going down hill I should say. I lost control of the thing twice and had a hell of a time getting it out. I think because of the short whell base and out front engine that there is too much weight over the front wheels. My lazer beat that thing hands down. And standing does not give me anymore visibility than sitting. I burnt my shins a few times on the the hydro pumps as well. My lazer is so versitile that I don't even have to take my wb off the trailer any more. It is just a back up mower now. Tons of people love these machines so I tried one. It was not the mower for me. Just demo many machines before you buy one. It is a big purchase and you need to find the machine that is right for you.

scottt
08-06-2002, 03:02 PM
scott's turf,
How did you burn your shins? You are the second person I have heard say this. That is what the padded bar in front of the pumps are for. How can you burn yourself with the big bar in the way? It takes a little practice to learn hills with the stander but after a few days I was surprised at how well it will do. Much better than the DC I used to have. You have to lean into the hills. I'm not saying a Stander is for you but I just can't figure out how you burned yourself.

scott's turf
08-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Scottt, I think when I was leaning somehow my shins were able to make contact with the pumps. Looked at te bar and was a bit puzzled myself but it did happen. Not severe just a little painful. I found when those standers were pointed down hill there was hardly any weight on the rear wheels which resulted in lots of sliding. Maybe I had to lean back more. I have been doing enouch leaning and body manuvering on my wb with sulky. The lazer does all the work for me now. I thopught I was going to be stuck the other day on my lazer. I was pointed down hill on wet grass and the only way out was reverse up the hill. Well it did it with a little burn out but I made it out. When cought in the same situation with the stander the rear wheels just spun. Two other things that don't interest me: Having to hold the controls at all times or they spring back to nuetral, no damper to hold them steady if you want to swat the bug that is eating your leg. Small amount of movement on controls makes them very sensitive and tiring on the hands. No floating deck, the machine got hung up several times going in and out of the trailer where the lazer just rides right in. Hard to watch the rear wheels to see if you are sliding. With my lazer I watch the rear wheels and watch for turf damage or skiding on hills. At times with the stander I would be going down hill and look to see that one of the rear wheels was actually spinning in reverse.