PDA

View Full Version : Clean combustion chamber

rain man
08-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Our Kawasaki owners manual says you should clean the combustion chamber every 300 hrs. Is this important? Don't mind doing the things which are needful but not made out of money. Any opinion appreciated.

Restrorob
08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
RM,

If you perform "routine maintenance" (oil changes/air filter/keeping cylinder fins clean), Save the time/head/intake and exhaust gasket money and keep running it. You likely wouldn't find enough carbon to clean out.

dutch1
08-20-2010, 09:46 PM
If the instruction is in the owner's manual, I'll pass on your question. Seems like everything is self explanatory. You failed to mention what type of equipment you're referring to do.

rain man
08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks Restrorob, sounds reasonable.

Dutch, you surmise correctly but the instruction in the manual is rather short and to the point. It reads something like this:

"Take it in to the dealer and give him some more money to have this thing done. Do not ask why or what it is we are talking about. If we wanted you to know we would have put it in the manual. Just go to the dealer and do what we say".

I should have given the engine size and model mower but since you intended to pass on my question it probably doesn't matter anyway.

dutch1
08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Sorry Rainman, I didn't intend to rain on your parade. I was not trying to be a smarta$$. If you had specified that the equipment was 4 stroke stuff I would have responded in the affirmative as Restro ably did.

Had it been something from their 2 stroke line, I would have suggested that you can generally determine the condition of the cylinder quite easily by what you find in the exhaust port, muffler, antispark screen and any carbon streaking of the piston. This is something that can easily be checked/corrected by the user without taking to the dealer.

Restro, you must not have answered the phone tonight.:sleeping:

rain man
08-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry about that Dutch, I misunderstood. Just trying to make the money go as far as it can. Thanks for the advice.

cgaengineer
08-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't pull a head on a 4 stroke unless the head gasket was leaking or the engine was worn out...ever take your car to the dealer to have the heads pulled and cleaned? I think not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
08-21-2010, 05:19 AM
I clean the combustion chambers on my equipment usually about once a year. I just take the head off, set it on the workbench upside down, spray it down with WD-40, and then go at it with a Dremel cup wire wheel. It's important to keep the head wet with WD-40 while you're running the wire wheel and I like to run it at a fairly low speed. The combustion chamber turns out very clean with a polished finish.

Restrorob
08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Naaa Dutch.....Let that sucka ring !!! :laugh: