PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic brakes

SchnabelLawnCare
08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm wanting to put some hydraulic brakes on my single axle 6x12 because the brakes on my s10 don't stop it as quickly as I'd like, and I'd rather not have to wire the truck for electric brakes.

Also, any repuatable places online to buy them from? Thanks! 3500lbs single ex lube axle.

Gravel Rat
08-20-2010, 11:30 PM
If you go to a place that sells trailer parts and see what they have for surge brakes for a boat trailer you don't want to know what the electric over hydraulic brakes are worth.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-21-2010, 08:05 AM
If you go to a place that sells trailer parts and see what they have for surge brakes for a boat trailer you don't want to know what the electric over hydraulic brakes are worth.

Are you saying electric brakes are cheaper?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
08-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Are you saying electric brakes are cheaper?
Posted via Mobile Device

To put electric brakes on your trailer and wire the truck for a brake controller will be cheaper. Hydraulic brakes also require a brake controller because it controls a pump that operates the hydraulic brakes.

I'am not a big fan of electric brakes either but for your situation it is the cheapest option to get brakes on your trailer.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-21-2010, 07:30 PM
To put electric brakes on your trailer and wire the truck for a brake controller will be cheaper. Hydraulic brakes also require a brake controller because it controls a pump that operates the hydraulic brakes.

I'am not a big fan of electric brakes either but for your situation it is the cheapest option to get brakes on your trailer.

Ah okay. I was under the impression that the hydraulic brakes didn't need a controller. How laborious is it to wire a truck for trailer brakes? I guess I don't even think it's worth it either way if it would need a controller.

Is there any type of brake that just adjusts its braking pressure to how heavy the load is? Because that is what I thought the hydraulic brakes were.

Gravel Rat
08-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Ah okay. I was under the impression that the hydraulic brakes didn't need a controller. How laborious is it to wire a truck for trailer brakes? I guess I don't even think it's worth it either way if it would need a controller.

Is there any type of brake that just adjusts its braking pressure to how heavy the load is? Because that is what I thought the hydraulic brakes were.

That is surge brakes they do work mainly used on boat trailers this is what you need plus running brake line to the axle plus put hydraulic brake parts on your trailer axle.

www.atwoodmobile.com/chassis-components/surge-brake-actuators.asp

You are still getting into some money putting surge brakes on the trailer.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
So even with the surge coupler, I would need to buy hydraulic bakes for the axle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
So even with the surge coupler, I would need to buy hydraulic bakes for the axle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes because your axle has no brakes on it.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
But you can't do electric brakes with the surge coupler?

I really appreciate your help, Gravel Rat.
Posted via Mobile Device

zabmasonry
08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
GR is off his rocker on this one.

all you need is a surge brake kit like this one.

Northern Tool 7 in Surge break kit. (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200338664_200338664)

Hooks right up to your tongue and needs nothing on the truck side besides standard 4 wire light setup. Not a good control as a electric system, but should add a be a significant difference when loaded, may cause some issues backing up hills.

hosejockey2002
08-26-2010, 12:51 AM
GR is off his rocker on this one.

all you need is a surge brake kit like this one.

To install an electric brake kit on your trailer and put a controller in your truck would cost about $100 less, be easier to install, and IMO work better. You hardly see surge brakes on equipment trailers. Even if your truck is not prewired, installing a brake controller is not a big deal, certainly easier than screwing around running hydraulic brake lines on your trailer.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
To install an electric brake kit on your trailer and put a controller in your truck would cost about $100 less, be easier to install, and IMO work better. You hardly see surge brakes on equipment trailers. Even if your truck is not prewired, installing a brake controller is not a big deal, certainly easier than screwing around running hydraulic brake lines on your trailer.

Can you explain the truck side of the wiring? I got a quote from a trailer company for 250 + labor for just the trailer side.

hosejockey2002
08-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Four wires come out of the back of the brake controller. I can't remember exactly what the colors are, but directions come with the controller that will steer you right. One wire {red, IIRC) connects to a "hot" supply wire. The positive battery connection works if you can't find anything better. This wire should be at least #8 or bigger and have at 30 amp auto-reset circuit breaker. Another wire goes directly to ground. Another splices into the "cold" side of the brake light switch on your brake pedal. The last wire goes to your trailer plug to supply the trailer brakes. If none of this makes sense to you, you're better off hiring someone to do it. Labor and parts shouldn't be more than $200 including the controller, but it's really easy to do if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Gravel Rat
08-28-2010, 12:38 AM
How new is your pickup truck you said it is a S-10 it might be time to step up to a larger pickup.

The price to do the electric brakes sounds about right you will need the whole deal the backing plates and new hubs and the brake parts plus run the wires. It would take atleast most of the day to do the work so it is done right.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the help!

1998 s10. I've been looking at some 98 gmc sierras, just trying to find one in my budget.
Posted via Mobile Device

SchnabelLawnCare
08-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Four wires come out of the back of the brake controller. I can't remember exactly what the colors are, but directions come with the controller that will steer you right. One wire {red, IIRC) connects to a "hot" supply wire. The positive battery connection works if you can't find anything better. This wire should be at least #8 or bigger and have at 30 amp auto-reset circuit breaker. Another wire goes directly to ground. Another splices into the "cold" side of the brake light switch on your brake pedal. The last wire goes to your trailer plug to supply the trailer brakes. If none of this makes sense to you, you're better off hiring someone to do it. Labor and parts shouldn't be more than $200 including the controller, but it's really easy to do if you are at all mechanically inclined.

I'm going to print out this post because it is so intuitive. Thank you so much!!
Posted via Mobile Device