PDA

View Full Version : Pruning tools?

agrostis palustris
08-05-2002, 12:29 AM
What types of tools (brands / models) do you use for pruning shrubs and small trees?

BigJim
08-05-2002, 04:28 AM
Sandvik/Bahco,whichever way round they market them as where you are,a bit dearer,but damn good stuff,real sharp.

Lanelle
08-05-2002, 09:13 AM
For hand pruners, try Felco. Their mid-price and upper-priced #'s are very popular with nurserymen and landscapers here.

JimLewis
08-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Most pruning should be done with hand pruners. If you are really doing pruning correctly, this will be what you use the most. Felco is about the best you can get. But Stihl makes a REALLY NICE Felco replica. It's the same thing. But Felco charges $36-$55 and the Stihl hand pruners are $10. Coronas are also nice. But they are $18-$26 and for that money, I'd buy the Stihl 'felco replicas". I use Felco myself and buy Stihl for my employees.

Other tools which are absolutely necessary; Good set of loppers, shears, small folding hand saw, and a bow saw. That's really all you need to do good pruning work. Well, aside from hedge trimmers (which should only ever be used on formal hedges. Don't DARE touch a Nandina or Rhodie with some hedge trimmers. Or I'll come stuff them up your....well, you get my point.;) )

As for brands, there are many top names out there. I am not sure which brand we are using now. But I don't buy the cheap stuff usually. Stihl is the exception, with their cheap hand pruners. Those are sweet. But otherwise, I go with mid to upper price range for nice tools. And I don't buy them from Home Depot. Only from a landscape supply place.

agrostis palustris
08-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Anybody use Silky hand / pole saws? I picked up a Gomtaro a few weeks ago and am very happy with it.

rodfather
08-05-2002, 05:24 PM
I think Felco probably makes the best hand tools.

I think Echo makes a good double bladed hedge trimmer, especially the long-handle one that articulates 90 degrees.

Evan528
08-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Felco also get my vote. You will never find me or my employees without them on our side!:)

Bob Minney
08-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Corona pruners and a wallace pruning saw

Doc Pete
08-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
I think Felco probably makes the best hand tools.

I think Echo makes a good double bladed hedge trimmer, especially the long-handle one that articulates 90 degrees.

Yeah, I have the non articulated head on my Echo pole trimmers. I have two sizes, the 4.5 ' and the 7'. Also, I bought the Echo chain saw pole attachment. You can cut a 10" branch or a 1/2" branch like butter. It's like having a chain saw with a 10 foot reach.
Pete

KLBCCTALLY1
05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
For the record, Silky makes saws only. Felco makes a decent saw but not comparable to the Silky.