PDA

View Full Version : 82-83 body swap

MTCK
02-12-2000, 08:07 PM
I recently rolled my 4 wheel drive 83 1/2 ton long box. This truck was my baby and had a ton of money in the drive train, interior, and engine. Needless to say, I'm a little reluctent to just send it to the scrap yard. The frame is totally straight, and all the running gear intact. The cab is toast though. The snugtop snuglid suprisingly enough survived with minor scratches. I just found an 82 1/2 ton 2wd long box with an absolutely beautiful body and interior, and high mileage, which brings the price down, on all the things I don't need. I know that I will need to swap the parking lights from the bumper to the grille, but other than that, does anyone know of any other differences in these bodies? Also, are there any problems swapping a 2 wheel drive body onto a 4 wheel drive frame? Any insight would be appreciated.

plowking35
02-12-2000, 10:59 PM
Everything should be a direct swap. Do both have the same tranny? If not then clutch or steering colums may need to be replaced. But you have both trucks complete so all your parts should be there. <br>As far as the t case linkage, that will be the same, you may nedd to swap tranny hump covers from the 4x4 into the 2wd cab. They will either be bolted or spot welded into place. The wiring harnesses will be the same just with a longer lead to the parking lamps.<br>You may be able to save the 82 bumper and install driving lights where the turn signals were before. <br>The project is do-able and not really that hard to do.<br>Good luck<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

MTCK
02-13-2000, 02:41 AM
The 82 (2wd) has a Turbo 350 (I'd imagine, it's a 3 speed, and I doubt that chevy would put a 400 in it.....) The '83 has a built Turbo 700 r4, and of course a 208 T-case.

jay
02-15-2000, 05:49 PM
the tranny hump from the 2wd<br>will work with a body lift of 3&quot;<br>possibly with a 2&quot;<br>of course you could just hack out<br>the hump if you don't care what it looks like

Chuck Smith
02-16-2000, 02:15 AM
Yes it will swap right on. As Dino mentioned, the hump most likely will have to be changed. No big deal. Cut out the spot welded one from the 2wd, and put the 4wd one in place, mark the holes, drill them, and use nuts underneath. You can then spot weld the nuts on place, to make removal easier.<br> Got this e mail the other day. I'll leave out the name....<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;Your page on body parts really helped. I switch a 87 2x2 and put it on a 79 4x4 running gear. It worked perfect , even the wiring harness plugged in to a perfect fit . THANKS for the help!!!! &lt;&lt;&lt;<p>Not so hard to do. :&gt;)<p>~Chuck<br><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

red450ih
02-21-2000, 03:47 AM
The 2WD cab will need the trans hump cut out. When you remove the carpet you will be able to see the imprint where GM would have cut it if it were going to be a 4WD. Your center hump in the '83 is bolted in and can be removed by removing the bolts. 1983 was the last year for the bolt in center hump, all '84 and newer trucks have different floors between the 2WD and 4WD, without a removeable center hump. Good luck<p>----------<br>world peace<br>