PDA

View Full Version : Do you mow the same pattern every week?

shearbolt
08-05-2002, 12:50 AM
I mow the same stripe every week without ever alternating patterns. I have never noticed any damage to the lawn. Are there any solid reasons to alternate your pattern or is this just a mowing myth passed on from generation to generation. To those who alternate: don't you mow around buildings and landscaping the same direction everytime. Is the grass damaged in these areas?

Evan528
08-05-2002, 12:54 AM
Depends on what kind of machine you are using. A walkbehind is light enough that it does not do all that much harm to mow in the same tracks every week. A 1,000 pound ZTR will make some pretty deep ruts in the soil if you mow in the same tracks every week. Just try striping 90 degrees from what you ussually do and you will feel each and every rut you have created!

SLIMDAWG1
08-05-2002, 01:05 AM
YEAH,YOU SHOULD WANT TO CHANGE DIRECTIONS TO KEEP FROM GETTING BORED.ALTERNATING PATTERNS ARE TO KEEP FROM SETTING TRACKS.I EVEN ALTERNATE BETWEEN RIDER AND WALK-BEHIND.CUSTOMERS MAY LIKE YOU TO ALTERNATE ALSO,IF THE TERAIN PERMITS.

stslawncare
08-05-2002, 01:05 AM
mowing different directions also gives u better stripes.

SLIMDAWG1
08-05-2002, 01:06 AM
OOPS,TERRAIN,YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

LAWNGODFATHER
08-05-2002, 01:12 AM
Exmark 52" Turf Tracer WB weight aprox 750# add velke

Ferris DD52" aprox 800# add velke

Dixie Chopper 60" weight aprox 1001#

Exmark Lazer aprox 1000#

Were does the weight of the machine have to do with wearing ruts in the ground?:confused:

Most of the ZTR'S have wider tires and have less of a ground PSI.

We usually run in 2 directions, but when it gets as hot and dry as it has this season we switched the directions to keep from stressing the grass and made new lines, still doing 2 sets of stripes.

you mow around buildings and landscaping the same direction everytime. Is the grass damaged in these areas? These and trees are the first to show the signs of wear and tear. Try and not to run in the same tracks when doing these. I teach everyone to move over and then alternate these passes. When going around scaping, go wider one week that the previous week.

1MajorTom
08-05-2002, 01:22 AM
From what I have read, I believe changing the mowing pattern is good. By doing so, it promotes strong and level turf surfaces which forces the grass to grow upward rather than falling in a horizontal position.

Is this scientifically proven? Well I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

SterlingLawn
08-05-2002, 06:47 PM
I believe you are correct in changing direction as it does stress the lawn. If you were to consistently mow the same direction the grass would actually grow in that direction over time. I have alternated cutting angle every time with the exception of small side yards. Mow / \ - |. Also in the fall I will do a reverse outline after outlining and mowing property with discharge cut-off because even when changing mowing angles, you tend to always outline the same way over time. Just my 2 cents.

lawnkid
08-05-2002, 06:57 PM
I like to alternate every week. for the ones that want it one way i usually try to use diagnol stripes that face the driveway so the customer can see how nice the stripes are. :D

Dennis E.
08-05-2002, 08:22 PM
I try and change every two weeks or so. With the ground being so saturated here it's easy to start leaving ruts.I may change the direction or just move it over a foot or so to avoid ruts in the turf. I run the rears on the Z at 8-10 psi.

65hoss
08-05-2002, 08:31 PM
This time of year here you can drive a tank over the soil and not leave a rut. But in the spring its a must to change directions.

LGF is correct about PSI. My 36" w/b will leave more ruts than my 52" HP will and its twice as heavy.

summitgroundskeeping
08-05-2002, 09:53 PM
I have an account that I used to mower exactly the same every week...
My tires wore slight grooves into the soil and so the lawn looked like a rolling prairie from the side. And in very dry weather the tire tracks got stressed.
I alternate at least every other week.

SLS
08-05-2002, 10:01 PM
"Change is good!" :)

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 10:05 PM
i like to think of my mowing as my biggest advertisement. i like to stripe facing main roads and other residents. this way they can see the nice work (stripes) that you do. also, as someone else mentioned, i like to stripe so when the customer pulls in the driveway they can see it

Darryl G
08-06-2002, 03:11 AM
I have an irrigated lawn I've been mowing all year with my 48 Exmark WB. I usually mix up my mowing pattern, but there's one area of the lawn I always mow the same direction due to the way the slope runs . I was mowing last week and noticed that the grass was lying down a quite a bit so decided to cross cut, even though I have to walk in that direction instead of sulky. I was surprised at how bumpy is was. I had ruts and didn't even know it.

parkmaster
08-10-2002, 10:02 PM
i change mowing directions every time i mow. usually at 45 and sometimes 90 degrees to the last cut going clockwise. yes the grass will grow in the direction of same pattern. changing the pattern will pull up grass from last pattern and give an even cut.

:D happy mowing and nice stripes

Art Stubbs handy 58
08-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Hey Shearbolt,

There have been several articals in some mag's saying it is good to change directions, ruts, even grass, pattern stripes and so on,
Next time your out on Airline Hwy to dump, take a look at C-O-F, Alter Steel,FedEx, Freese Ag. They all have a nice cross cut pattern. Do You use doubles on your Dixie? My Brother has then on his, his yards look awsome... Thanks for the info on Alter, I owe you one:blob3: