PDA

View Full Version : Fountain lighting suggestions, please.

bcg
08-21-2010, 09:11 AM
How would you guys light this fountain? The trees aren't really close enough to light this with downlighting. I'd like to light it from within in a way that will really cause the water to dance in the light as it spills from tier to tier.

Alan B
08-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I would suggest trying 3 underwater lights in the bottom pool/tier somewhat near the edges grazing the other tiers to get the water. Then 4 more fixtures outside the fountain to hit fountain from slightly different angle which would illuminate the bottom tier and other tiers if needed.

The fixtures outside the fountain could either be something like a small wallwash with a 20w bi pin and frosted lens--this would be soft and wide illumination (but only if you can hide the glare from all angles with plant material/plants that are outside/adjacent to the fountain.) Otherwise go with an mr16 well light to recess and hide the light/glare. BOth fixtures can be seen here (http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Flood-Well-s/36.htm) See Gentle Splash or MR-16 Well Light.

It's a lot of light, but its also a focal point and you want it to be lit evenly from 360 degrees since its a circular drive and will be viewed from all angles. You can graze less directly to avoid hot spots. Pay attention to the glare and make sure direct view of any lamp is avoided (if possible or as much as possible). Depending on budget, client , most prevelant viewing angles you could reduce fixtures down if you only wanted to maximize the view from street coming up driveway and from house looking out.

On diff topic front has some nice tall trees ( you could mount 30'+) that could look great with some downlighting (not for fountain but just general property illumination)
My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Alan

The Lighting Geek
08-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I would disassemble the fountain and run fiber optic to each level through the hole in the center. You would have complete control of how bright each level would be and it would all emanate from the water to give that 'lit water' effect.
most illuminators have the option of a color wheel as well

bcg
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Tommy, that's very interesting. Can you tell me more or provide some links to the sorts of products you'd suggest?

bcg
08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Alan, we'll probably end up doing some downlighting for the driveway area before it's all done. First goal is to correct the total lack of architectural lighting and get this fountain working properly. There is also a really cool sitting area to the side of the garage that has some up lights on the trees (not nearly enough) and path lights but no downlighting, despite it being a perfect spot for some romantic moonlighting with the perfect trees to mount them in. There is another fountain over there that I plan to hit with down lights, a 24* 20W from the closer tree and a 12* 20W from the tree that is about 2x the distance. This is one of those places where they've given me pretty much a free hand to do whatever. They care about the result, not how we get there.

The Lighting Geek
08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Tommy, that's very interesting. Can you tell me more or provide some links to the sorts of products you'd suggest?

Contact AJ at IlluminFX and he will set you up with the info needed. It is not a cheap date, but it is the best way to do a large or small fountain. No fixtures, reduced glare, and very nice end result.

David Gretzmier
08-21-2010, 10:35 PM
It is either a love /hate relationship, but I have done a few fountain folks with the 5w color changing LED mr-16 bulbs, and when they are submerged in the water inside a proper fixture they seem to have a long life. I think my oldest one out there is around 4 years old. with 3 uplit on the bottom tier, along with maybe one or two on each level, syncing all the bulbs to the same color change effect with the wireless remote really makes water pop. but be warned, while some folks love it, some hate it. I have a few that just like it frozen on the navy blue color.

trailboss
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
It is either a love /hate relationship, but I have done a few fountain folks with the 5w color changing LED mr-16 bulbs, and when they are submerged in the water inside a proper fixture they seem to have a long life. I think my oldest one out there is around 4 years old. with 3 uplit on the bottom tier, along with maybe one or two on each level, syncing all the bulbs to the same color change effect with the wireless remote really makes water pop. but be warned, while some folks love it, some hate it. I have a few that just like it frozen on the navy blue color.

David, I have been looking for a submersible - color changing LED with remote for a similar application. Have you had pretty good success with this? What manufacturer do you use? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

trailboss
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I have a client wanting the ability to change the color via remote on a submersible waterfall light. Any suggestions on a fixture or lamp?
Thanks, Steve

I saw these and others on ebay but have zero experience with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acEIxlplOm8

David Gretzmier
09-19-2010, 05:47 PM
I have used the 5w color changing LED mr-16 in several different aquatic fixtures for a few years, not had a failure yet. you do have to regrease the bulb pins every year to prevent galvanic corrosion. and the remote only works in line of sight, you can't hide fixture behind a rock unless you can point straight at the lens.

deep water also prevents remote operation, beyond 1 foot of water you have to lift the fixture up to aim remote at lens.

RLDesign
09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Hello All,

I have been busy, but I miss what I gained from Lawnsite when I participated. Get back what you put in.

Here is how I would light the fountain. Use a grey quartzseal on the concrete, install round wire, tighten thread seal, finish with grey silicone, leave extra wire to aim/lamp, or aim during day before install. Rub sand into silicone for texture. I would spray paint wire and drop it into sand before installing as the wire will show up on the grey background. Think about relamping as you need enough slack to get the fixture above grade. Any of the underwater fixtures with base or make a custom stone base. I would alternate wattage on fixtures from 10W widest aimed at the bottom to 20W narrowest to the upper areas, moving around the water feature, till properly balanced. The other option is to hit it from outside landscape with shadow detail, plus downlight, the CAST method - which provides a much easier install. The narrowness of the diameter may limit the install if inside the basin. The effect of the water and light moving on the fountain can be achieved both ways. Call my cell with questions 609-468-8488.

Tanek - Reynolds Lighting