PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Auto HOLY CRAP!!!

RBatten
08-21-2010, 11:01 AM
I have had a commercial auto policy for two years now and I understood it was expensive.

This week I purchased a 07 Isuzu NPR and put the binder on it and the bill came today and they want $300 a month just for that vehicle!!!! I pay another $200 for my F-150. Granted both are fully insured but come on $5K a year for two vehicles worth less than 50K!!

I need help! Who are you using and what are they charging you? I live in FL so I know insurance is expensive but HOLY CRAP.

My insurance payment is more than the Truck Payment!!!:dizzy:

Mowingman
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Insurance on 1 ton and larger trucks gets expensive real fast. You are really not going to have any good options for saving on that insurance cost. If the truck has a dump bed, the cost is even worse.

Think Green
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
The heavier the truck...........the more liability.
Each state is different, so don't be inclined to be in a state where they want tax's on every piece of equipment you own and use. Personal Property Tax.....business tax.

RBatten
08-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Its not a dump, but a lawn maintenance truck. I will use it to haul mowers and other hand helds. I just cant belive the cost.

Mowingman
08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Here is another odd insurance fact. If your 1 ton has a pickup bed, the insurance cost would be cheaper than the same 1 ton with a flatbed on it.
I have no idea why, but that is the way they do it.
Also, here in Texas, a 1 ton pickup can be on my regular auto policy, with a rider for commercial use. However, a 1 ton flatbed must be on a commercial policy all by itself, which of course, costs more.

scagman52
08-22-2010, 08:50 AM
RBATTEN...I'm in FL and use Allstate..$2200 per year to insure my F150 for commercial.

RBatten
08-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I call progressive yesterday and they want $6700 a yr. Right now I use Infinity and my total policy for both vehicles and two trailers is $5320. I will call my agent Monday and see if he can find something better. I will also give Allstate a call today to see what they can offer.

Turf Dawg
08-22-2010, 09:14 AM
I switched to Travelers insurance for my commercial vehicle a couple of months ago. For my 99 F350 and 20' enclosed trailer it is around 1100 per year. It does not include contents but hardly any companies in Texas include contents.
Atleast being legit gives you a tax write off.

RBatten
08-22-2010, 09:32 AM
I will call traveler also.

Bagit
08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
It's a shame all these commercial management companies wanting you to carry high dollar insurance and then sqeezing you out for the lowest bidder on their property or slow pay you azz.

Downright sickening. Your lucky if you can even make a small profit if you get one.

That's it! I'm going into the insurance bis. Collect money and hardly ever pay anything out.

topsites
08-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Must be nice to have that kind of money.

CLARK LAWN
08-22-2010, 10:09 AM
you need to shop around, maybe raise your deductable. i pay $2050 for full coverage on 2 1ton dumps and an f250 p/u all 3 of them have plows on them also.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Just don't get in to any wrecks and drop the policies.
Posted via Mobile Device

RBatten
08-22-2010, 11:31 AM
The last thing I need is to lose everything I own because I'm cheap.

Keith
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Your location also plays a role. Rates in more rural areas will be lower.

RBatten
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Must be nice to have that kind of money.

I don't have that kind of money! That is why I posted on the forum. I need a better rate.

SchnabelLawnCare
08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
The last thing I need is to lose everything I own because I'm cheap.

Just kidding! Perkin Insurance is quite a bit cheaper here than others, but idk if you have it down there.

PDLM21
09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
This week I purchased a 07 Isuzu NPR and put the binder on it and the bill came today and they want $300 a month just for that vehicle!!!!

My insurance payment is more than the Truck Payment!!!:dizzy:

Only reason stopping me from buying one!!!!!

kilgoja
09-28-2010, 10:58 PM
that is insane...i have a sports car and a truck and the insurance is less than $200 a month for both of them combined...screw getting commercial insurance...just have regular...if you have a wreck doesn't mean you were on the job...you could've been just going to the gas station or something...that's not on the job...on the job is on the mower in someone's yard lol

Hawkshot99
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
that is insane...i have a sports car and a truck and the insurance is less than $200 a month for both of them combined...screw getting commercial insurance...just have regular...if you have a wreck doesn't mean you were on the job...you could've been just going to the gas station or something...that's not on the job...on the job is on the mower in someone's yard lol

Yea, cause your insurence company will see it that way too, and make a full payout for you............

scagrider22
09-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Wow insurance in florida is realy high, Im only paying $60 a month for a full coverage commercial policy on my f-550.

RBatten
09-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes it is!! It's all your fault! You crazy tourists come down here and don't know where your going and some how completely forget how to drive while here! :)

We really do have one of the highest accident rates in the nation. I have lived here 10yrs now and before I came here I wrecked one car when I was young and stupid. In the last 10yrs we have been in 5 accidents, none our fault. People just forget how to drive down here.

C4chris70
09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Insurance on 1 ton and larger trucks gets expensive real fast. You are really not going to have any good options for saving on that insurance cost. If the truck has a dump bed, the cost is even worse.

Not always true! I have had my 2003 Chevy 3500 dump insured for several years now with Progressive for a little over $1000 per year. I just bought a 1995 F250 and added that to my policy and the price of the policy trippled. When I asked why the major increase, I was told by Progressive that pickups cost more to insure than dump trucks.

gene gls
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes it is!! It's all your fault! You crazy tourists come down here and don't know where your going and some how completely forget how to drive while here! :)

We really do have one of the highest accident rates in the nation. I have lived here 10yrs now and before I came here I wrecked one car when I was young and stupid. In the last 10yrs we have been in 5 accidents, none our fault. People just forget how to drive down here.

The cost of your insurance must have something to do with your age and driving record. I have a pickup and a 1 ton GMC dump and only pay around $2200.00 a year.

RBatten
09-29-2010, 07:55 PM
40 with no tickets and no at fault wrecks! It doesn't get any better. Even have credit score over 750. They just like to screw you down here!

scagrider22
09-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Maybe the reason nobody in florida can drive is because everyone down there is 100 years old including my grandparents! But seriously if you live in a state with 70mph speed limits that will raise the rate and all of your accidents will even though they are not your fault.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Some of these rates on here seem way high guys, for Biz Auto coverage.
I am covering my 06 Dakota (full covg 500/1K deds) commercially for about $500 a year, or not too much more than my personal auto.

Heavy trucks, I can see, but 1/2 tons or less, need to get a better rate guys.

LwnmwrMan22
09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure about FL, but in MN, you can use an insurance broker. He's an agent for multiple companies.

Right now I use Nationwide, obviously a large insurance company since they sponsor NASCAR races.

I have (2) '06 Dodge 2500 4x4 crew cabs, a 2007 Dodge 3500 crewcab dump, $1,000,000 in limits, $1,000,000 general liability with an additional $3,000,000 general liability umbrella (requirement for mowing the local school district), plus about $200,000 in inland marine (mowers, trailers, tractor, all the other misc. equipment), and I just renewed for $6,685 for the year for it all. $768 / month for 9 months.

sweetz
09-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Just don't get in to any wrecks and drop the policies.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what most of the people in FL have done.:hammerhead::confused:

jbannick18
09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I was quoted $280 month on my 08 sierra 1500 crew cab. Was going to go full commercial but they wanted the whole year upfront. Added business to my personal and I'm paying 335/month ><. Doesn't help I'm 21/male though. Going to shop around for insurance come next year. Wish progressive would of done the commercial in month payments.

Live in FL also.

Greenie
09-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Liberty Mutual Insurance was much less expensive for me - I get a speeding ticket every 2 or three years and so far my rates haven't increased. Geico and Progressive have to pay for their advertising. I'd shop around.

ucfbrian
09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Look into a comprehensive business policy that will cover everything, Liability, machines, vehicles, workers comp, etc. Just like you home policies, lumping everything together can save you money.

LwnmwrMan22
09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Look into a comprehensive business policy that will cover everything, Liability, machines, vehicles, workers comp, etc. Just like you home policies, lumping everything together can save you money.

This is what I have done. The actual company that I send the payments to is Allied Insurance, but they're under the Nationwide umbrella.

Everyone should shop their insurance every 3-4 years.

Different companies will have different areas of their insurance they want to fill. They have too many home claims if an area gets ravaged, say they're heavy in the New Orleans area 5 years ago. So they will lower their rates for commercial accounts, so they can gain commercial customers and help offset those payouts.

Or, they have a bunch of commercial accounts that are a high risk factor, so they'll lower their home rates to get a steady income from a different factor.

corey4671
09-30-2010, 10:09 PM
www.zanderins.com

insurance broker in Nashville. Pretty sure they can work with just about anybody anywhere. I use them. Got my auto, home, life, health, gen liab and work comp through them

ucfbrian
10-01-2010, 10:00 AM
IF you are running a commercial policy, shop every year especially if you do not have any claims. Also have your agent review your policy and see if you can qualify for a lower rate. It never hurts to shop around and if your agent knows that you are, he will always try to come to you when the renewall time is getting close with a better rate. The first couple of years with a commercial policy your rates will always be higher, but they will come down once you estabilish your risk factor.

devinraptor
10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I use westfield insurance. I live in delaware and I have a 1999 f-250, 2001 Chvey 3500HD dump, 2006 Dodge 3500 and a 1999 Dodge Durango, I also insurance two of my nicer landscape trailers and I have my liability insurance for the business and I pay roughly 7 thousand a year for everything. that also includes coverage for 50,000 dollars of small equipment I lump everything together and save a ton.

Southern Elegance
10-01-2010, 05:52 PM
try frankenmuth ins co.... you will have to go online to find an agent in your area

PiRiskMgmt
10-21-2010, 01:25 PM
If you are in Florida I would call Drew with Bearwise Landscapers. His speciality is providing insurance for the landscape industry. I live in Oklahoma and do the same and I will tell you that $5200/year is rediculous. Now, that is assuming you have no DUI or recent accidents. Drew knows plenty of good markets that would be quite lower than that. I recently quoted a lawn companies whole business, Work Comp, Business Auto, General Liability and Equipment for $5k. It helps to have an agent who specializes in what you do. We stay on top of the markets that have the best pricing.

green connect
10-21-2010, 02:16 PM
try frankenmuth ins co.... you will have to go online to find an agent in your area

Frankenmuth is not licensed in Florida, but they are a great company. Try Farm Bureau or State Farm in Florida. Allied isn't licensed there either. Progressive is looked at as an excess policy (more expensive for tougher risks) on commmercial policies. The more vehicles you have the better the rates, typically 5 or more and you get a fleet discount. If you can get a package policy that includes your liabilty, equipement, and auto for the best rate.

I used to be in commercial insurance for several years and tried to place coverage in Florida for several accounts. Most insurance companies avoid the state now because of the hurricane claims.

RBatten
10-22-2010, 06:24 PM
If you are in Florida I would call Drew with Bearwise Landscapers. His speciality is providing insurance for the landscape industry. I live in Oklahoma and do the same and I will tell you that $5200/year is rediculous. Now, that is assuming you have no DUI or recent accidents. Drew knows plenty of good markets that would be quite lower than that. I recently quoted a lawn companies whole business, Work Comp, Business Auto, General Liability and Equipment for $5k. It helps to have an agent who specializes in what you do. We stay on top of the markets that have the best pricing.

Thanks, I will give Drew a call. My agent was shopping it for me and got a quote from Nationwide for 4K. Before he could bind the policy one of my CLOWNS had a fender bender to the tune of 1K. I don't know if I can move now, but I will call Drew anyway.

RBatten
10-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted!!

I called Drew at Black Bear Insurance in Longwood, FL and got a good rate.

General Liability is a little high but overall it will save me quite a bit! Thanks PiRiskMgmt.

Gatewayuser
10-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I have had Geico Commercial for about 14 or so months and my insurance went down after it renewed 2 months ago. Was paying $116 now $84 a month for full coverage on a f-350 with snow plowing coverage too. Never had a speeding ticket or collision.