PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Replacement Gravely 252Z

drparet
08-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Ok, I am not sure this is the correct forum, so forgive me in advance. I have a Gravely 252Z and I need to replace the fuel tank. I ordered and received the tank, now it appears to be straight forward replacement with the exception of the fuel line. There is a rubber bushing that needs to be removed. Is it difficult and how is it best to do this? Please be aware that I am marginally mechically inclined and I thought to save myself the cost of the labor in doing this myself. I would welcome some advice and directions to proceeed. Thank you in advance. I can be back channeled at drparet@sbcglobal.net

Dean

dutch1
08-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I have not had to replace a tank, but I have had to replace a number of fuel line drops in Gravely fuel tanks. Because the elbow serves to expand the tank bushing, the fitting should be pulled first to ease the removal of the tank bushing. It's been a couple of years since I have done the job, but as I recall the intank fuel line and weighted pick up can be pulled through the bushing. At this point the bushing can be worked out of the opening in the tank. I don't know the age of your Gravely but. at one time they used some inferior tubing for their fuel line drops that would rot off the elbow on the inside of the tank. I'd suggest installing a new tank bushing as well as a new Tygon 1/4' fuel drop. Reverse the procedure for reinstallation. Insert bushing first with a little lube, then push weighted pickup and fuel line through the bushing. Apply a little lube to the elbow and insert in the bushing. Hope this helps.

Restrorob
08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Dutch is on the money with the new bushing and drop hose, For a couple bux I've never re-used either....

drparet
08-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks Gentlemen! I appreciate the information.

topsites
08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
You can't re-use them, I know.