PDA

View Full Version : Employee wants more $$$

Ocutter73
08-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I have had my one employee for a year now. I just put him on the book this past may. He makes $10.25/hr. His duties are basic...mow, move base material, level , screed, move blocks, all your basic standards of entry level employees. He does not have a license so he gets rides from family to and from work (15 min ride). On occasion I have given him a ride if we ended early or if no one was available.

He called and left an aggravated message desiring more money or he will need to look else where for anothe job. He is not a foreman mind you, and does have anger problems when away from worksites, thankfully. He does work his ass off and out shines those with more experience. I dont feel comfortable putting him in front of clients for sales and he doesnt know a yew from a maple tree.

Part of me wants to tell him hes lucky to have this position and to go pound sand. The other half does respect the work he has put towards the company and work with his needs. My question to all is what are you paying someone with a years exp. with your company and his background/situation. I feel im right on target but would like more info. Thanks

Oh as a side note he found out that others make more than him but they do have a license and a landscape/hardscape background. How have you dealt with those that know others pay?

Lawncutting27
08-21-2010, 08:20 PM
If he works his ass off and he shows up for work for a year, he's worth more then $10. In oct. I think it is minimum wage up here goes to $9.50 and you should see the losers I find from day labour that work minimum wage.

Personally, for $10/hr I'd rather get a cushy job like gas attendant or something.

Cruz717
08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
My 2 cents..
You say he works his ass off,he's been coming to work for a year now. He makes it to work, how ever he makes it, he makes it. Here in Mass you can make more than 10 bucks at dunkin douhnuts.So basically he's a good worker.
If your company can afford to pay him more, than maybe you should, just be upfront with him about the issues, you told us about, the anger, and the fact that you wouldn't put him in front of customers. Tell him I could do (such an amount an hour) but I need you to be able to do these things in order to get that money. Good Help is VERY HARD to find.
Again if your company can afford it, probably wouldn't want to extend your self so that you couldn't afford him.
Again address the issues and have perform for the raise, If he is a good employee he will perform for his pay.
My 2 cents
Thanks for listening

Ocutter73
08-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have been thinking and im willing to offer more for his help.

How do you all handle keeping the salaries quiet? Employees talk and im sure comparisons happen from time to time. What disciplinary actions do you take for those that dont follow the rules?

loupiscopolandscaping
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
i like what cruz said....he brought up good points.....also if you give him a raise and it doesnt work out, theres plenty of other people he can join that are collecting unemployment.lol....for me if the person is reliable,respectful towards me and the crew, a hard worker, wants to learn, and etc....its worth giving a raise, he deserves it. also just think if u fire him and hire some1 else...weeding new people out and training them isnt something i like to do, plus its expensive paying people that arent producing beause their learing...just my thoughts

Ocutter73
08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
All good ideas. He may not see the cup as half full most times (which I will need to address) as this may weaken morale over time. He has been known to be too relaxed with my requests and making off color jokes. This I can only attribute to his stint working with me. I have to tell him that Im not his friend but his boss. Keep the comments silent.

poolboy
08-22-2010, 12:03 AM
I have had my one employee for a year now. I just put him on the book this past may. He makes $10.25/hr. His duties are basic...mow, move base material, level , screed, move blocks, all your basic standards of entry level employees. He does not have a license so he gets rides from family to and from work (15 min ride). On occasion I have given him a ride if we ended early or if no one was available.

He called and left an aggravated message desiring more money or he will need to look else where for anothe job. He is not a foreman mind you, and does have anger problems when away from worksites, thankfully. He does work his ass off and out shines those with more experience. I dont feel comfortable putting him in front of clients for sales and he doesnt know a yew from a maple tree.

Part of me wants to tell him hes lucky to have this position and to go pound sand. The other half does respect the work he has put towards the company and work with his needs. My question to all is what are you paying someone with a years exp. with your company and his background/situation. I feel im right on target but would like more info. Thanks

Oh as a side note he found out that others make more than him but they do have a license and a landscape/hardscape background. How have you dealt with those that know others pay?

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

LoweJ82
08-22-2010, 01:57 AM
talking about pay between employeees, fire on spot.,

A good hard worker who shows up everyday should get atleast .75 to $1.00 pr hr raise.

I would always bring up about a week before, Hey I been here 3 yrs next fri, and after the first 2 the boss was expecting what was coming and would try to avoid me as in not letting me get him alone, Once I did I got my $1.00 Yearly cost of living raise I called it, then when I had my first kid it was "my cost of living just went up raise" anyhow I always had an alternate job lined up making atleast the same pay.

bsharwood
08-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Employees are going to talk about pay between themselves, no matter what. You can threaten to fire them if they do it, but it's really not going to make a difference.

The key is when the come to you to discuss it you have to say that each employee situation is different. Everyone brings different things to the table and is in different situations.

I definitely wouldn't make it a fire-able offense, but just let people who are making more that they should be discreet.

nepatsfan
08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
We start everyone off at 12 bucks an hour and go up from there. If they are good we keep them if they dont show up or work hard they get canned. I think you have a deal right now at 10.25. give him a raise

PROCUT1
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I would fire him on the spot right now.

Call and demand a raise or youre quitting?

Sorry. Doesn't work that way.

Millions are out of work right now. Not to mention nobody is getting raises in this economy.

An employee that would pull that stunt that you described is trouble and needs to go.

TJLANDS
08-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Millions are out of work right now. Not to mention nobody is getting raises in this economy.

An employee that would pull that stunt that you described is trouble and needs to go.

I agree.
Had am employee give that to me couple weeks ago on a monday morning,
He never did work that monday and I had him replaced thru a craigslist add by 10am(an add by the way that I recieved over 30 responses in two hours)
and that was for 10 hr

AI Inc
08-23-2010, 05:54 AM
So I will ask the $ 1 question, for $10.25 an hr , has he missed any days since he started? If not , you will probably not get that anywhere for $10.25

whosedog
08-23-2010, 06:48 AM
NJ has a higher cost of living than most states,10 bucks an hour just isn't worth coming to work for;raise him to 12,and if he's still with you a year later 15 per hour.Let him know that he's appreciated and he will work hard for you. How much are you billing per hour for his labor?

MarcSmith
08-23-2010, 07:09 AM
he's been an employee for a year...and now he's inquiring about a raise albeit in a rude and inconsiderate manner...

Avery job that I've hod, I have gotten an annual review which included goals that I've accomplished, weakness' that I encountered, and future goal to attain. if i failed to attain my goals then no raise. but if I've worked hard proven my worth, then I got a raise...

Sound like the employee was due for an annual review...Here at GU our base wage is 11.82 fro a basic laborer and this with benes like vacation, holidays, tuition assistance, ect... so 10.25 bucks is a bit low.. especially if he was "off book" and not getting taxes taken out. Now that he's on the books, his take home is much less...

Do a review(should be standard practice for all employee to get annual reviews) set some goals, work towards getting a DL, ICPI classes, maybe let him learn some equipment operation or some basic estimating and such. as an employer if you want your employee's to grow beyond what they are you do have to spend some time training them. Let him know that these are goals that need to be met for future consideration for a raise at his next annual review..

AI Inc
08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Boot him up to $11 or so with the raise going into escroe to help him get his DL back.

PROCUT1
08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Only you know your business and your relationship with this employee. A good employee never costs you money he makes you money. I dont have a problem with the employee asking for a raise. I have a problem with the way he did it. I went through many years letting my employees essentially run me. And its a terrible feeling to have. I would almost feel like I was lucky to have them or something. It took getting my balls in a jam a couple too many times to finally grow a pair and realize Im the boss. Im providing them the job. I make the rules. I realized this even more a couple years ago when my 15 shovelers decided at the last minute before a snowstorm that they wanted more money or they wouldn't come in. I had it at that point. I said I didn't care if I had to shovel the condos myself. I put an ad on craigslist for shovelers needed now and for $5 less an hour than I was paying my guys. I wrote a thread about this on plowsite. In 2 hours I had so many guys calling that I could not keep up with answering the phone or voicemail. I took the ad down and the calls kept up for a couple weeks. In less than 2 hours I had 15 guys working who did the job better and faster than the guys I had and I saved a couple thousand in payroll that storm.

Those guys stayed the rest of the year and most still work in the winter now. On my own I gave them all small raises and they are respectful and appreciative.

And you know what? Starting that storm and all the rest, my regular guys called me off the hook wanting to work, forgetting all about the raises.

What a good feeling it was to be able to say....no thanks...I have too many guys already...

I learned my lesson. Good people make me money. Good guys who work for me never have to ask for a raise. Their work does it for them. Good guys I make sure I take care of because those guys I dont want to lose.

Your guy says he might have to look elsewhere. My response to him would be......not you might.......you DO have to look elsewhere because you dont work here anymore.

Let him be one of the hundreds of emails and applications the next contractor has to choose from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
08-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Nice to know you started following the law. :rolleyes:

Employees are going to talk about pay between themselves, no matter what. You can threaten to fire them if they do it, but it's really not going to make a difference.

The key is when the come to you to discuss it you have to say that each employee situation is different. Everyone brings different things to the table and is in different situations.

I definitely wouldn't make it a fire-able offense, but just let people who are making more that they should be discreet.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

talking about pay between employeees, fire on spot.,

A good hard worker who shows up everyday should get atleast .75 to $1.00 pr hr raise.

I would always bring up about a week before, Hey I been here 3 yrs next fri, and after the first 2 the boss was expecting what was coming and would try to avoid me as in not letting me get him alone, Once I did I got my $1.00 Yearly cost of living raise I called it, then when I had my first kid it was "my cost of living just went up raise" anyhow I always had an alternate job lined up making atleast the same pay.

Still all about you isn't it?

Annual raises are a thing of the past, maybe you haven't heard.

No one should get a raise just because they've been there a year. Show me why you're worth more, then we'll talk.

Agreed.

MarcSmith
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM

No one should get a raise just because they've been there a year. Show me why you're worth more, then we'll talk.

so every time the employee does something good, they get a few cents here and there throughout the year? Please....record keeping nightmare, and not many companies do it this way.

Much easier to do an annual eval every year and take in the big picture. if you've kept good records than you'd be able to ID the spots where he done good and learned and grown but also the areas that he's been weak...
I agree that Time does not equate more money...but often they are poorly intermingled. use the time as a benchmark- IE for a basic laborer in one year they should be able to do X, y and Z which warrant $B raise. otherwise they get less or none...

snomaha
08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice to know you started following the law. :rolleyes:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Still all about you isn't it?

Agreed.

Gave up cost of living raises two years ago. Wages drive the cost of living, not the other way around.
We have different skill sets that are worth specific hourly rates. If you want a raise you need to develop additional skills. Had to many employees with multiple years asking for pay increases because of experience. Ten years of experience was really one year experience done ten times.

TheC-Master
08-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Only you know your business and your relationship with this employee. A good employee never costs you money he makes you money. I dont have a problem with the employee asking for a raise. I have a problem with the way he did it. I went through many years letting my employees essentially run me. And its a terrible feeling to have. I would almost feel like I was lucky to have them or something. It took getting my balls in a jam a couple too many times to finally grow a pair and realize Im the boss. Im providing them the job. I make the rules. I realized this even more a couple years ago when my 15 shovelers decided at the last minute before a snowstorm that they wanted more money or they wouldn't come in. I had it at that point. I said I didn't care if I had to shovel the condos myself. I put an ad on craigslist for shovelers needed now and for $5 less an hour than I was paying my guys. I wrote a thread about this on plowsite. In 2 hours I had so many guys calling that I could not keep up with answering the phone or voicemail. I took the ad down and the calls kept up for a couple weeks. In less than 2 hours I had 15 guys working who did the job better and faster than the guys I had and I saved a couple thousand in payroll that storm.

Those guys stayed the rest of the year and most still work in the winter now. On my own I gave them all small raises and they are respectful and appreciative.

And you know what? Starting that storm and all the rest, my regular guys called me off the hook wanting to work, forgetting all about the raises.

What a good feeling it was to be able to say....no thanks...I have too many guys already...

I learned my lesson. Good people make me money. Good guys who work for me never have to ask for a raise. Their work does it for them. Good guys I make sure I take care of because those guys I dont want to lose.

Your guy says he might have to look elsewhere. My response to him would be......not you might.......you DO have to look elsewhere because you dont work here anymore.

Let him be one of the hundreds of emails and applications the next contractor has to choose from.
Posted via Mobile DeviceYou're right. You have to put your foot down. Nothing wrong with asking, but he didn't do it respectfully.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
If you give him the raise that he demanded, make sure your wearing your skirt when you do it. Hate to be harsh, but I will never have an employee tell me when they get a raise. If you are not giving annual or bi annual reviews, that is something you might want to do. There have been employees that I have given a raise to at 3 mo, 6 mo and yearly. I have also been know to give a bonus. Good employees are hard to find, so you need to keep them interested. I would sit this employee down and explain to him that he will receive a raise when you see fit. If he doesn't like that he can quit and try to find a new job.

James

Mark Oomkes
08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
so every time the employee does something good, they get a few cents here and there throughout the year? Please....record keeping nightmare, and not many companies do it this way.

Don't think that's what I said. Maybe implied, but not what I meant.

Annual raises because it's that time of the year are a thing of the past.

Much easier to do an annual eval every year and take in the big picture. if you've kept good records than you'd be able to ID the spots where he done good and learned and grown but also the areas that he's been weak...
I agree that Time does not equate more money...but often they are poorly intermingled. use the time as a benchmark- IE for a basic laborer in one year they should be able to do X, y and Z which warrant $B raise. otherwise they get less or none...

Agree completely.

DanaMac
08-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Tell him he gets a raise, but it comes with more responsibilities. Give him 2-4 things that he has to do along with his other duties - clean the shop, go to classes or seminars to learn more of the trade, etc. My guys make more than twice your guy's wage, and they have never had to ask for it. They work hard, take on responsibilities beyond just the field work, take classes and test for certifications, etc., and they get a good raise every spring.

And I would tell him any more demands/threats, whether it be voice mail or in person, is an immediate termination.

Mark Oomkes
08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
go to classes or seminars to learn more of the trade, etc.

If you require him to go to classes, he must be compensated for that time as well.

And I would tell him any more demands/threats, whether it be voice mail or in person, is an immediate termination.

So once is OK, but a second time is too much?

Doesn't make sense to me.

DanaMac
08-31-2010, 07:48 AM
If you require him to go to classes, he must be compensated for that time as well.

So once is OK, but a second time is too much?

Doesn't make sense to me.

My guys get paid when I send them to seminars and classes. Whether it be required to pay them or not. BUT - it is the employees choice to go and better themselves to move and advance within the company. Nobody is making them go. In the OP's scenario, the guy can choose to go to the classes to get a better understanding of the industry, thus giving him better wage potential, or he can choose to not go and stay stuck at $10.00 hr. His choice. The employer would not be requiring him to go.

What is wrong with telling the person that he did wrong in his demands, and give him the consequences if it happens again? Just sounds like the kid is young and arrogant, and needs someone to tell him he did wrong, rather than make a quick rash decision to fire the guy. The OP states he really likes the work ethic of the guy, so why not let him try again?

TimTim2008
08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree.
Had am employee give that to me couple weeks ago on a monday morning,
He never did work that monday and I had him replaced thru a craigslist add by 10am(an add by the way that I recieved over 30 responses in two hours)
and that was for 10 hr

did he try to come back?

TJLANDS
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
did he try to come back?

No he didn't,
He actually said he wanted a raise or he wouldn't work ,
I guess he took it personal when I told him he wasn't worth minimum wage.

Hope Landscaping
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
I would talk to him first and set a time line to improve on the issues you see he could improve on. It doesnt have to be a long time line....a month or so. You want to give him a raise on your terms not his, or he'll be calling you every month.

seabee24
08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
well i would tell him , first that you are his boss and you expect to be treated with respect, he may want to figure that out. i would remind him that your pen can quickly run out of ink while signing said pay checks

however - if hes been with you for a year, and you havnt given him a raise you should have seen it coming. in fact odds are its been on his mind alot longer, and hes gone home daily thinking to him self he is under paid. that puts his whole work in a bad mood. i found its better to just figure out for your self when they deserve a raise, and surpise them and give it to them.

now, has the guy gained an skills since he started to justify his raise? for example, if in the morning it use to take him 30 mins to fuel, check oil, change blades.... and now he does it in 20, he savs time, and thus some of that saving should go to him(not all) . if he mows 12 houses in a day vs 9 when he started, again... that justifies a raise. if you dont think so, then let him go, start from day 1 and hire a new guy and the whole learning process will begin again

georgiagrass
09-04-2010, 01:13 AM
I would talk to him first and set a time line to improve on the issues you see he could improve on. It doesnt have to be a long time line....a month or so. You want to give him a raise on your terms not his, or he'll be calling you every month.

I totally agree with this. Also, I would share my concerns about his performance in writing and have him initial a copy. If he performs according to your expectations, give him an appropriate raise.