PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fixing Simplicity 12.5LTH

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Guys,

Need help fixing a 1990's Simplicity 12.5 LT 38" Hydro tractor. Tractor has low hours and had full professional tuneup at the dealer last year.

Have two issues

1) Front tire needs to be replaced. Has a tear in the side wall.
Tips for replacing it at home? How do it do it myself?

2) Tractor was running great last season after professional tune up/carb cleaning. Dealer said it was in very good shape. Unfortunately my it started acting up. My brother said he noticed he was having problems with the seat. When he was riding if he shifted around on the seat it was cutting out. They way he described it made it seem like it was the safety switch on the seat.

Battery was replaced last year, new plug, carb cleaned, and wiring harness was throughly looked over by Simplicity dealer. I don't want to put the money into taking it to the dealer again. Need help fixing tire and non start issue on my own.

When I last tried to start the tractor it had power and but NO CRANK. NOTHING. It didn't make any noise whatsoever.

So should I jump the two wires together on the seat safety switch and see if it starts? If it starts that way, then I can order a safety switch and install it. If that doesn't work, then where do I look?

The tire, figured I could jack the tractor up. Take of the rim, remove tire with screw driver. Place new tire on rim with screw driver and then fill it with air. Does this sound okay?

Thanks!

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Okay got tire fixed.

Bypassed seat safety switch still no start.
Ground on starter spins easily and gets hot. Tried to tighten, no luck. What now?
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Pull the blower housing and disconnect the kill lead to the ignition coil. This should bypass all safety switches. Pull the spark plug wire then turn the switch to start position. If the engine turns over you problem is likely in one of the safety switches. If the engine is a Briggs, there should be only one wire to the starter and that is the cable from the solenoid, not a ground. The starter should be grounded through contact with the engine.

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Sorry it is a Briggs and Straton Vangaurd 12.5. Twin cylinder.

So the black wire running from the selonoid is a power wire not ground? I can wiggle it back and forth, i would guess that is bad! What does that wire do?

The seat safety switch, I cut the wires and wired them together.

So next step tomorrow will be take off the cover and remove the kill switch from the coil. Remove the plug wires and then try to crank it?

If it cranks, then what?

dutch1
08-22-2010, 10:19 PM
If there is only one wire to the starter, that is the wire that powers the starter only when the switch is turned to start. What are the engine numbers? Model, type and code. Without any Simplicity ID number, I assumed the unit had a single cylinder engine. If it's a twin, the kill lead will have to be pulled from both coils. If it cranks, then your problem is somewhere else, likely one of the safety switches.

What is the Simplicity model and serial number?

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I will have to check the simplicity model number and b&s serial number. Here is a diagram of what the electronics look like though.

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 11:41 PM
If you look at 33 on the diagram, you will see the wire that runs to the bottom of the starter. I tried to tighten the bolts, but I can rotate the wire between the nuts. Also after trying to start, this wire gets quite hot.

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Here is the lower wiring harness image.

The seat switch is 1 & 2. I cut the wire ends on this can connected them. Last year when tractor was running if you got off the seat it would say running. Eventually the tractor would no longer start. So I had thought it was simply the seat switch. Guess not!

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Here is that image.....

wyoming lawn service
08-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Another question! Last year when it was fixed there was a tab I think on the coil that was bent. It was keeping the mower from starting. The dealer said it was arcing on the block. Could that be the kill switch you are talking about?

Another side note, ignition was replaced last year by dealer.

wyoming lawn service
08-23-2010, 12:28 AM
One more thing. All lights come on for safety switches. Seat engagement light and pto light comes on when I engage switch.

dutch1
08-23-2010, 09:01 AM
If cable 33 is loose at the starter and its getting hot when you try to start, you may just have a bad connection there. That cable is usually held between two nuts and you will not be able to tighten that connection by turning the outside nut without holding the inside nut. In addition, if the bolt turns freely and you have power to the starter, you could have a short or another problem in the starter itself. On the other hand, if you are not hearing any clicks at either the fuel solenoid or ignition solenoid, that's another problem.

When you mention that the ignition was replaced, what are you referring to--coils, switch, wiring, whatever?

If you have little or no mechanical/electrical experience, I'd recommend that you take it to someone who does.

wyoming lawn service
08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
The ignition switch was replaced by dealer last year. There are two bolts.on the 33 cable. Will try to tighten them up again. might have to take it to someone.
Posted via Mobile Device

wyoming lawn service
08-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I called my dealer, they said probably a bad starter. Said if the stud rotates then inside starter is bad. Gonna take look and see if the bolt is loose. If bolt isn't loose I will replace the cable and tighten it down
Posted via Mobile Device

wyoming lawn service
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Is there a way to test the starter?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device