PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when YOU lose a check?

PLM-1
08-22-2010, 02:42 AM
A pet peeve of mine is a client paying me upon service. With as much as I get in and out of my pocket with keys, knife, etc, their payment bound to come flying out with it.

It was windy yesterday and the only client that doesn't mail in their payment brought me a check out. I know I folded it and put it in my pocket. When I got home, guess what?...no check in my pocket.

How do you handle these situations?

1. Have client re-issue a check and have them worry about the stop payment.
2. You pay for a stop payment and have them re-issue a check.
3. Forget about it, it was only $120.

ajslands
08-22-2010, 03:54 AM
you could forget about it because it kinda was your fault, or just have them void it and write you a new one, im sure they wouldn't mind.

Roger
08-22-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree with the pet peeve. When I send out monthly invoices, I include a double window envelope for return. But, sometimes a customer will come out of the house when I am underway working, "How much do I owe you?" I have no idea what happened to my invoice and envelope.

This season, I have been using an iTouch. When I have my monthly invoices sent out, I e-mail myself a .pdf file of the "pending" payments. Many times this season, I have been able to use the iTouch to get the report, and tell them on the spot. They write a check, and I can tuck it into my briefcase.

Other times, somebody will come out of the house, and hand me a check while riding on my ZTR, walking behind my mower, trimming, or whatever. I'm hot, sweaty, and have no place to put the check. It would be a big help if they at least put it in the envelope that I supplied. In order to eliminate any risk of what happened to you, I stop working (grrrrrrrr!) and take it to my briefcase immediately.

I would suggest explaining to the customer what you believe happened, and have them void it, and cut you a new one. Maybe this will help underscore the problem with their practice of handing you a check while working.

topsites
08-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Depends, how honest you are?

Reason I ask is, what if the check turns up later, what will you do?
I don't want the answer, you have to know this.

If you think you can trust yourself then I would just ask the customer to cut me another,
but if you are not 100% sure that you will NOT deposit the lost check if you ever do find it
then I guess you'll have to ask them to put a stop payment on it and eat the $35 cost of that.
Lets just say it pays to be honest.

I hope I don't have to mention if you let the customer not put a stop on the check and write
you another, you deposit it and then you find it 6 months later and also put it through?
Be teh end of yu ass lol

yardguy28
08-22-2010, 09:08 AM
i would inform the client of the situation. let them know you lost the check. that way they can void it incase someone else finds it and tries to cash it. i would let them decide whether or not to issue you another check. since it was your fault i would plan on eating the amount. i would not ask for another check. just tell them you lost the one and if they write another great. if not eat it.

i always take the checks directly to the truck and put them in the folder i carry with me. or they go in one of my cargo pants pockets i don't use regularly or where they can't get blown out or in my wallet.

brianslawncare
08-22-2010, 10:00 AM
i had the same thing happen to me. i just called the customer and explained the problem. they wrote me a new one stopped payment on the one lost i paid the amount to stop payment and off i go.dont eat the whole amount you worked for that money,plus the fuel cost for mowers and handhelds and the truck. or tell them you will mow for free one time for the stop payment cost.

slawn
08-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I had this happen before, just tell them and they can stop payment on that check and give you another one. Now I have one of those clip boards with the storage compartment and put my checks in there until I get home.

Roger
08-22-2010, 02:38 PM

If you think you can trust yourself then I would just ask the customer to cut me another,
but if you are not 100% sure that you will NOT deposit the lost check if you ever do find it....

If his accounting practices are that shoddy that he does not know if he has already processed a check, or not, then he has much bigger problems than worrying about a lost check. Honesty isn't the issue here, rather how well you manage your finances.

Texas Lawn
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
had this happen once. Tell the customer what happened. Usually they are understanding and will write another. If not, it happens, and it will be a $120 mistake youll hopefully never make again

LoweJ82
08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Ive lost cash out bworking being in and out of pockets

Mark Oomkes
08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
i would inform the client of the situation. let them know you lost the check. that way they can void it incase someone else finds it and tries to cash it.

Voiding a check does absolutely nothing except in your check register. You have to call the bank and issue a stop payment. And they charge for it.

i would let them decide whether or not to issue you another check.

Why? He earned the money.

since it was your fault i would plan on eating the amount.

You're going to have to eat the amount and some air because you're not going to have cash for groceries if you follow this advice.

i would not ask for another check.

DO you always work for nothing? It was a mistake, crap happens.

just tell them you lost the one and if they write another great. if not eat it.

Again with the eating it, hope you don't have much of an appetite.

i always take the checks directly to the truck and put them in the folder i carry with me. or they go in one of my cargo pants pockets i don't use regularly or where they can't get blown out or in my wallet.

Fess up and be honest about it. Apologize and offer to cover the stop payment charge.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I always make sure that I put the check or cash in my wallet right away!

yardguy28
08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Fess up and be honest about it. Apologize and offer to cover the stop payment charge.

void, stop payment, whatever.

i do just fine earning money and putting food in my mouth. one check from one client for one months service isn't gonna make or break me.

thats just opinion and what i would do in the situation as i believe the thread subject says.

i would inform the client i have lost the check and offer to pay the "stop payment" (making sure i am using the correct term for mr. oomkes here) fee and end the conversation right there. if they offer to write another check thats great but i would not ask for them to send me another check since i was so careless with the first one.

MR-G
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
depends, how honest you are?

Reason i ask is, what if the check turns up later, what will you do?
I don't want the answer, you have to know this.

If you think you can trust yourself then i would just ask the customer to cut me another,
but if you are not 100% sure that you will not deposit the lost check if you ever do find it
then i guess you'll have to ask them to put a stop payment on it and eat the $35 cost of that.
Lets just say it pays to be honest.

I hope i don't have to mention if you let the customer not put a stop on the check and write
you another, you deposit it and then you find it 6 months later and also put it through?
Be teh end of yu ass lol checks are only good for 6 months...and anyone paying thru auto pay only 90-120 days....

yardguy28
08-23-2010, 10:21 PM
checks are only good for 6 months...and anyone paying thru auto pay only 90-120 days....

checks are good for a year......:hammerhead:

some longer........

jaypauldini
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
hi
i would tell them the truth, have them cancel the checque and give you a new one,if there is a fine for cancelling a cheue, tell them to knock it off the amount on your new cheque, and in the future put all cheques in your wallet.

MarcSmith
08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Under CPA Rule A4, Section 21, a cheque is considered stale-dated after six months, unless it has been certified. Although it may be returned through the clearing for that reason, there is no obligation to do so, and the payor’s financial institution may still accept it as a valid payment item. An institution accepting a cheque that is dated more than six months earlier may choose to contact the payor’s financial institution to confirm whether the cheque will still be accepted.

yardguy28
08-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Under CPA Rule A4, Section 21, a cheque is considered stale-dated after six months, unless it has been certified. Although it may be returned through the clearing for that reason, there is no obligation to do so, and the payorís financial institution may still accept it as a valid payment item. An institution accepting a cheque that is dated more than six months earlier may choose to contact the payorís financial institution to confirm whether the cheque will still be accepted.

so that explains why i can and always have been able to cash or deposit my birthday money checks i get 10 months after they were dated......:hammerhead:

bignamelawncare
08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I charge extra if you don't mail the payment to me. Having people pay you each time you mow is a serious waste of time. I'll mow it for $35 if you want to pay me in person or leave a check under the mat it's $40. They will learn to mail it to you. I mean they mail in their electric bill don't they?

Roger
08-25-2010, 06:26 AM
.... They will learn to mail it to you. I mean they mail in their electric bill don't they?

I agree that it sounds pretty simple. But, the grass cutter is in a different category than the electric bill, cable TV, cell phone, etc. Why? Don't know, but sure wish I did.

yardguy28
08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I charge extra if you don't mail the payment to me. Having people pay you each time you mow is a serious waste of time. I'll mow it for $35 if you want to pay me in person or leave a check under the mat it's $40. They will learn to mail it to you. I mean they mail in their electric bill don't they?

this has to be the STUPIDEST thing i have ever read in my life.........:hammerhead:

i do all i can to keep the cost of doing business down and i do what i can to save my clients as much money as i can. i suggest all the time ways clients can pay me without spending money on stamps and envelopes.

if they want they can pay me in person or leave it under a mat or in the door. it takes like 2 seconds to grab an envelop under a mat or door while your blowing things off.

not to mention most of the clients i have that want to pay me each time don't require an invoice so it's less invoicing i have to do which is less time spent doing invoicing and less envelopes and stamps i use which is more money in my pocket.