PDA

View Full Version : Light Poles - Good distance paved area to pole?

Eileen
08-05-2002, 11:59 AM
We're designing a sidewalk with Ornamental Street Lights adjacent to it. We will be placing a rounded bulb out of concrete underneath each pole. How wide, or rather narrow, can the concrete base around the light pole be to ensure full mowing up to the pavement? Put another way, What is the distance between the edge of the blades and the edge of the wheel/cover/housing of the typical contractor mower?

HOWARD JONES
08-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Lawnmowers range from 21 inches wide to at least 6 feet - depends on how large the area of grass is which mower the contractor is likely to use. Maybe you could give a little more detail on the area. Oops - I think I misunderstood your question - here's another try: most blades are within one inch of the exterior of the mower, but if the lawn guy has to get that close, he would have to slow down - I would think 6 inches concrete skirt would ensure the area wouldn't have to be trimmed after mowing.

GroundKprs
08-07-2002, 02:58 AM
If the concrete ring is to eliminate trimming, that is not effective long term. No matter how wide the ring, there will be a ragged appearance after mowing. And in time, the earth will move over the concrete ring - nature is constantly in motion, and manmade objects always sink in nature, because they don't move with the earth.

A better maintenance procedure would be to have mulch rings around the poles, to prevent mower damage to them. However, these rings must be renewed each year, as the mulch decays and grass grows into the decaying mulch.

Eileen
08-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Thank you for your responses. I did call a Toro rep and we figured out 6" for the mowing and 6" extra for manuevering space. We'll go with a foot of concrete outside the poles. It's good to hear the pros concur. Thanks!