PDA

View Full Version : Photography

RLI Electric
08-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I finally got a camera and now that I am taking a pictures I need to tone down some stuff. Has anyone used Light Studio 3 by Adobe? I don't want to go to a full blown Photoshop as cool as it would be, the learning curve would be way to long. All I want to do is tone down some of the brightness in my shots. Although once I learn how to use the camera, that should help too. Light Studio has a free trial that I may try.

cgaengineer
08-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Shooting in RAW would allow the best possible changes without much loss and Adobe Elements should be what you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2010, 02:31 PM
For total newbies, I would recommend you start with Picasa3, free from google. Then as you get to understand the basics you can move up to Photoshop Elements (usually free with printers etc). I dont think that many of us can make use of all the features that come with the full Photoshop Package.

Shooting in RAW format is fine, once you know what you are doing with Photoshop, but until then using a high resolution JPG will be just fine.

White Gardens
08-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Picasa is a good one.

I use Artweaver and it works well for me.

emby
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey Bob what make and model of camera did you pick up?
When I purchased mine(Nikkon D60) I did a bit of roaming through some of the older threads here and played around from that very helpful information.
After making the adjustments to the settings I was very pleased with the final shots.
RAW is deffently better for making adjustments as noted above.

Ken

RLI Electric
08-22-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XTi with an 18 to 55 lens. I also have a 28 to 105 lens.

cgaengineer
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I would look at Adobe Elements, it will handle .crf files. Play around with .jpg mode, but shoot anything you plan to keep in raw. Once you learn the camera you can return to jpg format. Raw is good because the amount of lossless adjustment is much better, if your exposure is off (the most common prob with DSLR) you have a much better chance making the image a keeper with raw.
Posted via Mobile Device

RLI Electric
08-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Bumping this back up. Has anyone heard of GIMP? A client of mine suggested this. He told me that they have done cool stuff (not lighting related) but supposedly cool nonetheless. I am going to attach a photo I took to let you shred apart. It is my second night with the camera so have a little compassion. I still havent figured out settings on it. The luminance on the house is from a street light 500 feet away. I didn't even know it was there but the camera somehow found it.

Mickhippy
08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Is the camera on a tripod or anything? I am far from an expert but night/low light shots need a long exposer time, longer than you can hold a camera perfectly stable.

I am a little hung over and crusty eyed at the moment but your photo looks a tad blurry.
I suggest you use a tripod (or something totally stable) and a longer exposure time.

This will explain it better... http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/how-to-take-night-photos.html

Picasa is a great program. Gimp etc are a bit more difficult to work out.

In the end, what ever program you use, you need to start out with the best possible photo.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Our Ausie friend is right. You will need a good, stable tripod and a shutter release for the camera in order to take really good shots. If you don't want to spend the money on name brand tripods I highly recommend you visit www.amvona.com for some excellent off brand equipment.

Mickhippy
08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
You could use the "timer" as the shutter release!

RLI Electric
08-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Good points. It was on a tripod and taken with a timer, I don't have the shutter release yet. Also, is there a way to focus better? I was taking the shot after looking through the window right after being blinded by the display on the back of the camera. Crap! I don't think my eyes were as good as they once were.

RLI Electric
08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
The tripod is an Ambico and the eyes are 41 and apparently crappy

Mickhippy
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Sorry mate, thats as much help as I can be!
Maybe just take heaps focusing on different objects, different exposure times etc.

Love to see what you come up with!

cgaengineer
08-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Good points. It was on a tripod and taken with a timer, I don't have the shutter release yet. Also, is there a way to focus better? I was taking the shot after looking through the window right after being blinded by the display on the back of the camera. Crap! I don't think my eyes were as good as they once were.

That's the cool thing about a Nikon, the upper display...not much need to use the rear display.

Gimp is a poor Photoshop clone...I have messed with it and it leaves a lot to be desired...it is a good price though so I guess you get what you pay for.

Tripod, take a look at Bogen/Manfrotto...don't put a $1000 camera and lens on a $20 tripod. Don't waist your time with a pan and tilt head either...they are junk, get a Markins ballhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
08-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Manual mode on the camera is best for night photography...lose auto mode or any of the other modes for night photography.
Posted via Mobile Device

jana
08-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Have used Photoshop for years up to the current version. Also have gone to Scott Kelby's seminars. http://www.scottkelby.com/

I just got an e-mail from Adobe this week and you now do not have to have and account to use there free online tools.
Might want to check out "Express Editor". http://www.photoshop.com/tools