PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gauge

Matt
02-15-2000, 06:29 PM
I have a 89 chevy k1500 that I recently had a oil sending unit installed on because old one was leaking. Now the oil presure auge keeps bouncing back and forth. It doesn't normally get any lower than 30 but will occaisionally peg all the way to right. It is normally under aload when it does this and at the same time the temp. will increase up above 210. What do you think could be causing this?

plowking35
02-15-2000, 09:25 PM
Has to be electrical. Check the wire running from the sending unit to the gauge cluster. If that all checks out, then it may be the gauge cluster itself.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

John DiMartino
02-16-2000, 08:23 PM
You might have a defective guage,if the old one didn't do it,it would be the fist thing I suspect.I also have done a lot of these and this is what I've found.I use only Geniune GM senders after to many aftermarket ones did exactly what yours is doing.It is not worth the 2 dollars you save,pissed off customers dont come back. Also you might get the wrong one by accident and get false readings.Make sure you get a 0-30-60 sender if you have a 0-30-60guage.GM also has a 0-40-80 sender and guage in V-6's,and V-8's 1994 and later.Good luck and dont tear into the dash until you try another sender.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

Matt
02-17-2000, 07:31 AM
John & Dino thanks for your suggestions I am going to start with a lose ground or other electrical problem just to make sure that everything was hooked up right when the unit was installed if that doesn't cure the problem I will change the sending unit using a GM unit.<br>Thanks Again Matt