PDA

View Full Version : Jamur zoysia

RussellB
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I live on the coast of South Carolina. Centipede and St Augustine are the primary grasses. I am about to resod my back yard and I am interested in Jamur zoysia. Back yard is partial shade and I have three dogs. Does anyone have any experience with this grass? Does it hold up? Will it thrive in partial shade? I have been told it resembles St Augustine but does not have the issues that come with St Augustine. I will be tilling, grading and spreading Bolster prior to installation. Irragation is already in place.

RussellB
09-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Well not to many responses lol. Anyway I went ahead and purchesed a pallet of Jamur. I tilled, leveled, put down Booster and layed the sod over a portion of the backyard. I plugged several other areas. Also just chucked half arse 3 pieces (2x6) on top of the grass in other places. Within a week all of it was well tacked and at two weeks I mowed it. The areas that the darn dogs are using for their rest stop does turn brown but if you irragate those areas, the grass comes back quick. I am more than pleased with Jamur Zoysia. Beats St Augustine and centepede.

Patriot Services
09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
You need to build the dogs their own patch of astroturf over stone to pizz on.:usflag:

PlantscapeSolutions
09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I live on the coast of South Carolina. Centipede and St Augustine are the primary grasses. I am about to resod my back yard and I am interested in Jamur zoysia. Back yard is partial shade and I have three dogs. Does anyone have any experience with this grass? Does it hold up? Will it thrive in partial shade? I have been told it resembles St Augustine but does not have the issues that come with St Augustine. I will be tilling, grading and spreading Bolster prior to installation. Irragation is already in place.

The Jamur Zoysia is one of the better Zoysia's. The blade is slightly more course than the other Zoysia's. You must get rid of all of your St. Augustine and make sure your neighbors St. Augustine can't creep into the yard or you will lose all you Zoysia over time to the St. Augustine.

When putting down Zoysia don't over water to get it established or it will just sit there and not grow at all. Over watering can cause the blades of grass to get a bright orange type of lawn fungus.

If you get extended periods of wet cloudy weather some types of Zoysia will actually start to get a dry crappy appearance. As soon as the sun comes out and the yard dries out a little the Zoysia will look good again.

You will not get the fungal issues or Chinch Bug issues with Zoysia that you get with St. Augustine. Even Celebration Bermuda can get Chinch Bugs although most people are not aware of this.

Stay away from Emerald Zoysia because it is one of the few types of Zoysia that are not well suited to residential use. Let me know if you have any other questions.

RussellB
07-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Well it has been one year since I installed the zoysia. Dog urine doesn't seem to bother it and the areas that they decided to dig up fill back in pretty quick. All in all I am very pleased with it.

allinearth
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
The Jamur Zoysia is one of the better Zoysia's. The blade is slightly more course than the other Zoysia's. You must get rid of all of your St. Augustine and make sure your neighbors St. Augustine can't creep into the yard or you will lose all you Zoysia over time to the St. Augustine.

When putting down Zoysia don't over water to get it established or it will just sit there and not grow at all. Over watering can cause the blades of grass to get a bright orange type of lawn fungus.

If you get extended periods of wet cloudy weather some types of Zoysia will actually start to get a dry crappy appearance. As soon as the sun comes out and the yard dries out a little the Zoysia will look good again.

You will not get the fungal issues or Chinch Bug issues with Zoysia that you get with St. Augustine. Even Celebration Bermuda can get Chinch Bugs although most people are not aware of this.

Stay away from Emerald Zoysia because it is one of the few types of Zoysia that are not well suited to residential use. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is the reasoning behind emerald not being for resi. use? Any experience with matrella?

PlantscapeSolutions
07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
What is the reasoning behind emerald not being for resi. use? Any experience with matrella?

Emerald Zoysia will end up getting pills like an old sweater over time unless you use a reel mower. The grass just has too dense and fine of a texture for a rotary mower to mow very well.

Emerald zoysiagrass is a hybrid between Zoysia japonica and Zoysia tenuifolia released by the U.S.D.A. and the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Station in 1955. Emerald combines the fine texture of Zoysia tenuifolia with the cold tolerance and faster rate of spread of Zoysia japonica. Emerald is similar to Zoysia matrella in appearance and habit.

Most Zoysia's are improved hybrids so you will never likely see Zoysia matrella. More hybrids will be related to Zoysia japonica.

greendoctor
07-16-2011, 05:40 AM
There are lots of Emerald zoysia lawns in Hawaii. Most of them are residential. Yes they need a reel mower to maintain them properly. However, I love the look of an Emerald zoysia lawn that is not starved, is irrigated properly and is mowed with a reel mower. The other cultivars look ok as long as they are not mowed with a rotary mower either. In my state, it is far easier to keep a zoysia lawn rather other types of grass. Other grasses are either over run with weeds or killed by pests and diseases unless given constant attention.

allinearth
07-16-2011, 08:51 AM
There are lots of Emerald zoysia lawns in Hawaii. Most of them are residential. Yes they need a reel mower to maintain them properly. However, I love the look of an Emerald zoysia lawn that is not starved, is irrigated properly and is mowed with a reel mower. The other cultivars look ok as long as they are not mowed with a rotary mower either. In my state, it is far easier to keep a zoysia lawn rather other types of grass. Other grasses are either over run with weeds or killed by pests and diseases unless given constant attention.

I have never seen zoysia as nice as the lawns I saw in Hawaii when I visited. Almost looked fake it was so perfect. Using a reel mower on res. lawns is pretty much unheard of here.

allinearth
07-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Emerald Zoysia will end up getting pills like an old sweater over time unless you use a reel mower. The grass just has too dense and fine of a texture for a rotary mower to mow very well.

Emerald zoysiagrass is a hybrid between Zoysia japonica and Zoysia tenuifolia released by the U.S.D.A. and the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Station in 1955. Emerald combines the fine texture of Zoysia tenuifolia with the cold tolerance and faster rate of spread of Zoysia japonica. Emerald is similar to Zoysia matrella in appearance and habit.

Most Zoysia's are improved hybrids so you will never likely see Zoysia matrella. More hybrids will be related to Zoysia japonica.

One sod farm I deal with claims their sod is matrella. I feel farms in my area are way behind when it comes to cultivars. Most have meyer zoysia and tifway 419 bermuda. Probably because not many would pay a premium for a better cultivar. Most prob don't even know there are different kinds of zoysia.

greendoctor
07-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I have never seen zoysia as nice as the lawns I saw in Hawaii when I visited. Almost looked fake it was so perfect. Using a reel mower on res. lawns is pretty much unheard of here.

Really. I get the sense that Tru-Cut and McLane have sent the majority of their production to my state. The homeowners themselves think nothing of buying a 22" Tru-Cut and McLane mowers are stock items in HD/Lowes. All lawn maintenance people have a reel mower on the truck. It is understood that rotary mowers are only for cutting down weeds or maintaining st augustine.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Really. I get the sense that Tru-Cut and McLane have sent the majority of their production to my state. The homeowners themselves think nothing of buying a 22" Tru-Cut and McLane mowers are stock items in HD/Lowes. All lawn maintenance people have a reel mower on the truck. It is understood that rotary mowers are only for cutting down weeds or maintaining st augustine.

How much does a 36" commercial reel mower run and how long does it take to sharpen?

greendoctor
07-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Closest to that is a 27" C27 Tru-Cut or a Jacobsen fairway mower. Sharpening/backlapping of such a machine needs to occur monthly if it is used commercially. A lawn maintained with such a machine is not $25 a cut for a 5,000 sq ft lot. Those properties are priced per month and it is usually more like $150 a month. A half acre lawn mowed with a reel is no less than $400 a month. Big difference between that and using rotary mowers that cut an acre in a few minutes.