PDA

View Full Version : trimming height

skinnyd
08-05-2002, 12:26 PM
HI Guys

The lawn co I have doing my lawn I feel is trimming to short. The difference between the height that they string trim the edges at and the height that they are mowing at is notisibly very different. I was just wondering if this is normal. I am not always home when the do the lawn but I am suspecting they dont trim every week. I think they triming the edges very short and then again in a couple of weeks as needed. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks

skinnyd
08-06-2002, 04:26 PM
what gives guys 19 views and no replys.
Doesnt someone have comments?

John Gamba
08-06-2002, 05:03 PM
I Call That Production Mowing. They get In And they get Out. If you burn Your trimming Down One week There's Littel To do The next two week's (Save's Time). What you Should Do Is call The Owner Find Out how much More It would cost to Have them Trim The wright Way Every week.

I Give some customer's Two Prices (Get In Get Out Or Let's Party)

Hope's this help's.

Johnny G. Lawnone Conn.

Doc Pete
08-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by skinnyd
HI Guys

The lawn co I have doing my lawn I feel is trimming to short. The difference between the height that they string trim the edges at and the height that they are mowing at is notisibly very different. I was just wondering if this is normal. I am not always home when the do the lawn but I am suspecting they dont trim every week. I think they triming the edges very short and then again in a couple of weeks as needed. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks

Most home owners don't know what's a good job and accept this type of mowing. You shouldn't and don't have to. There are plenty of LCO's that do a professional job. The trimming should be at the same height as the rest of the lawn.Trmming takes talent, more so than just mowing, and it should be done every time if the LCO says he will cut, trim and blow the lawn for a certain price. Fight back. Fire your old LCO and find a good one.
Pete

skinnyd
08-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I didnt think the trimming should be so short. The sad thing is is he came out and gave me a price to do the lawn, trimming and blow down weekly and I gave him the price he was asking for. It wasnt like I worked him on his price. The other thing is they never close the gate to the back yard after they are done. I hired someone else to do it because I dont have the time or the interest to do it myself any more.

Thanks for the help and letting me vent.

Got Grass?
08-06-2002, 06:07 PM
I agree with Switchless, usually thay give the trimmer to the new guy or 16yr old who dosnt know how or care how to trim properly.
My rule is if you open it close it... If it's open for no apparent reason close it.

Sounds like these guys are just lazy. Call them up and copmplain, be nice about it & see if anything changes.

scothosw
08-12-2002, 05:00 PM
I handle a trimmer about 2 hours a week. I trim my father's lawn and my own. Trimming is probably the most overlooked aspect of lawncare. A perfectly trimmed lawn does take practice and talent but is sure worth the effort. NEVER accept some jo shmo scalping your lawn with a trimmer! A mediocre lawn cut with a great trim job looks far superior to any lawn that hasn't been trimmed properly.

barnard
08-17-2002, 04:39 PM
It is strictly your preference. I actually have a customer that requests an extremely short trim (in the dirt around everything at property). Ive done it this way for her for three years. It keeps her happy. Her checks keep me happy.

F.S. Lawn
08-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you need a new person for your lawn needs. Things like that should show you that this person either has too much work to handle and is trying to cut corners or does not care about the service he provides

thfireman
09-13-2002, 05:12 PM
An LCO should not ever be intentionaly burning a trim job. That is just bad business in my opinon. My lawns look consistant week to week and if I were a customer thats what I would expect. I dont give a price for a crappy job and then a price for a better job...That is just crazy. I give a price for a job that is done right each and every time. Thats just me!:)

GreenQuest Lawn
09-14-2002, 03:06 AM
You should not be able to tell the difference where they mowed and where they trimmed. They should be the same height. One of the problems with trimming too low is this will be the first areas weed seeds will grow. Also these areas that are so short will burn up quicker.

I would call and complain. either they are lazy and trying to skip a week trimming or are not properly training their guys.

Lance L
09-14-2002, 04:11 AM
i fired a guy for that... i told him again and again if i mow at 3+ inches thats what u trim at not half an inch the people that were doing some of the yards before me killed the grass around the trees and house... doesnt look good at all to me... if they want it ok but im there to make it look good not to kill it...