PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Sport vs Fast Trak

Peanut72
08-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok, Stumbled on this site doing some research on a new mower. Seems like a ton of great info here. Have read through a few posts and pretty sure I have made my decision on a Hustler. Now which one is the question. I am currently on an 11yr old 20hp 42in cut Craftsman that has done the job but is now completely worn out and no longer worth fixing.

Heres what I have to mow. Just under one acre of 1 1/2 yr old yard with a pretty good mix of fescue and weeds. Needs some serious work as far as that goes. The back yard is relatively flat with the exception of the lateral field where there is a pretty steep low bank. Usually takes about two passes with my current mower, running lentghwise with the bank. The front yard ans a gradual slope that gets steeper as I get closer to the house. Done really know how to put a % grade on it. Overall the yard is kind of bumpy, with a few holes that the dogs have dug in the back. I keep filling them in, they keep digging them back out. I have a playset and a few trees to mow around. Nothing too bad.

From what I have read, the 48" Sport with the Honda engine will work out just fine for me, but was wondering if I should go ahead and pop for a Fast Trak? Is it worth spending the extra money for that mower or for no more than I have stick with the Sport? It seems like most everyone is happy with the Sport. We have a local dealer here that carries them. I am looking for longevity here. Will making the upgrade to the FT pay off in the end or are the lifespans about the same between the two. I like the thought of the Kaw engine and commercial duty trans.

As far as the money goes, I like the thought of the $3500 or so price range of the Sport, but willing to spend the extra cash if its worth spending. I doubt I will be mowing more that my lot any time soon, unless I decide to snag the lot beside me, which is an additional .88 acre. No plans to mow for extra cash or as a business.

So, what I am looking for is some thoughts from you guys on which direction you would go. Also what are some of the common problems with these mowers. Im gonna keep on reading and putting together a little more about these mowers, but thought I could lean on you guys for some straight answers.

Thanks
Todd

mowerconsultant
08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
We really need to know the slope your cutting there, the Sport has a lighter duty drive system than the FasTrak and that may determine what I suggest.
I got your email Saturday and my regional manager should of contacted you by this time this am.

Pj

Peanut72
08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Here are a couple of shots of my front yard and the small bank where the lateral field is in the back. Hope this will shed a little more light on what I have to mow, nothing really bad. The slope in the front yard from left to right runs from ground level on the right hand side to about 8' of rise to the left side up to the driveway over the length of probably 30'. The bank in the back yard is about maybe 2' of rise over just a few feet. On the current mower I sit to the uphill side of the seat when I mow it. Maybe not completely necessary, but makes me feel a little more comfortable about it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/ctedelen/100_0372.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/ctedelen/100_0375.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/ctedelen/100_0374.jpg

mowerconsultant
08-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Personally I would go up to a 54" FasTrak, this would make quicker work of your lawn and then I wouldn’t have any concerns with the slopes on your property either.

Pj

Peanut72
08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Thats kind of what I was leaning to. Just needed someone to give me that little extra push to make the upgrade.

Thanks
Todd

Kenkirk
08-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Personally I would go up to a 54" FasTrak, this would make quicker work of your lawn and then I wouldn’t have any concerns with the slopes on your property either.

Pj

Agreed. I have that mower and it would work like a charm. I have similar slopes. I do prefer the Honda motors for their quietness and smooth running, easy starting, and longevity. I have 3 years and over a hundred hours of trouble free fast mowing. Love that mower!

Ken :usflag:

Peanut72
08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Ok, I did it. I bit the bullet on a new Fast Trak SD 54" with the 25hp Kawasaki Engine. I went in to talk to him about them and he said he was being very aggressive with them right now trying to move them. He shot me a price of $5400 and I just couldnt turn that down. Thats the same price another dealer shot me for the non SD version. Its funny though because I had talked to the same guy about a week earlier and told him that I wanted to be under $5000. He showed me the Sport and gave me a quote on it. When I asked him about the Fast Trak all he would tell me was that was outside my $5000 range. I asked him by how much and he didnt answer me, just kept right on talking, so I commented by saying must be pretty far out then huh. He still never skipped a beat and walked me over to the Ferris mowers. Told me for $4999 he could put me in one of those. But he seemed to be pushing the Sport and the eXmark Quest more than anything. Anyhow, its sitting there at the dealer ready for me to come get it now, just have to wait till Monday to get it. Someone stole my trailer earlier this year, and I couldnt get one before they closed today. And I gotta work all weekend and it would be a shame for it to have to sit there in my garage all lonesome and calling out to me till I can use it on Monday.

Anyway, I cant wait till Monday to pick it up and give it a spin around the yard. Is there anything I need to do to it right out of the box or just unwrap it, hop on and mow what I am sure will be not so straight lines?? Never been on a zero turn before. So this will be interesting.

Thanks for the input and helping me make up my mind. I thing I knew all along what I wanted to do, just needed someone to tell me to do it. I will repost on Monday after I am done hacking up the yard.

Thanks guys
Todd

mowerconsultant
08-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Congrats on the new ride!!
Welcome to the Hustler family...
I dont know if I could have the patience to wait until Monday... lol...
I am a gotta have it now type of guy... lol...

Pj

Peanut72
08-27-2010, 05:40 PM
So am I but there was just no way to make it happen until then. I had to get under the car and make some transmission repairs because that thing was pouring fluid out of it every night. That was the number one priority for the day. Then a dentist appt. By the time I got all that done I had to pick up the little one and try to find a truck and trailer. I loaned my Jeep out and someone stole my trailer earlier this year. I was supposed to work a double shift today, but only made it half the day before they sent me home from spending more of the day in the bathroom than on the floor. Tomorrow they close before i get home from work and Sunday is another double. That leaves me off all day Monday. The good news, well bad for him, the neighbors mower crapped out on him last night and I get to mow two yards. WooHoo. I dont think I have ever been so excited to mow grass before.

I still havent broke the news to the wife yet. Figure I will just let her see it in the garage when she gets home Monday night. Well back to tying my noose so she can hang me when she sees it.

Todd

mowerconsultant
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Haven’t told the wife yet.... OUCH... lol....

Let us know how you like it after mowing today...

Peanut72
08-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Ive been telling her for two years that I was buying one, but the old one just wouldnt die. I actually told her yesterday and she said she already had a pretty goood idea because she saw where I left this forum up on the computer one night when she went to use it. She wasnt too mad about it.

So, on to the good stuff. I finally got to bring it home today and gave her a spin around the yard. Well actually it took me for a spin for a bit. took me a few minutes to get the hang of it. Once I got the controls figured out I made a few passes around the yard. By the time I got done, I was mowin like a pro. Not really, but it wasnt as difficult as I thought it might have been. I got a little squirley on some lines, missed a spot here and there and left a few burned spots when I turned around, but I will figure it all out in time. I love this thing. The wife even came out and watched me make a few turns.

Its been super dry here and the yard is a total mess right now. Wasnt in the healthiest of shape before all this, but now its really bad. It is so dry and this mower really spits out some dust. I am used to the other mower having the mulcher on it so it wasnt really all that bad. I will most likely make a mulching kit one of the first things that goes on the mower. I only logged about 30 minutes or so stick time but this mower makes it feel more like fun than work. Im sure the new will wear off and yardwork will be yard work again, but until then.... I mowed it with the deck up pretty high and it left a few weeds poking up here and there. Oh well, that will give me reason to have to get out there in a few days to do it all over again. Think Im gonna go water and see if I cant get some of that grass to come alive and grow.

The only thing that I noticed is it seems at full speed it drives to the left. I had both handles pushed as far as they would go and it seemed to kind of pull to the left. I did notice that the handles were not even, but a simple adjustment should fix that. But I cant see where that would have anything to do with it not driving straight. Anyway, no big deal, I wont be mowing wide open anyway, just had to do it to see what it had in it.

thanks
Todd

mowerconsultant
09-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Sounds good.
As to pulling left, get a few hours on the mower and then see how it is, the hydros will break in a bit, if it still pulls after about 5 hours you can (or the dealer) can adjust the drive linkage.

Pj