PDA

View Full Version : Tree Suggestions

OutsideImprovements
08-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I have a customer that has a section of property line approx. 180ft he wants to have a tall hedge installed along. We are in Northern NY Zone 4 the soil is acidic and a very sandy loam - just sand. I'm trying to find a fairly fast growing variety of evergreen for this customer that is also less favored by deer(major problem up here). I was leaning towards thuja plicata but I think it may be a little too tall once it matures. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PerfectEarth
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Hemlock would have been my suggestion too.... unfortunately deer tend to like young hemlocks.

godzilla
08-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Define "tall?"

SMC
08-23-2010, 12:34 AM
If you are going to plant thuja or hemlock, you should spray the plants in the fall with a thiram based repellent to stop deer browsing. The deer will only eat these evergreens durning the winter months. Deer tend to not like spruce, but here in Connecticut they are starting to eat Norway and even Colorado spruce. They tend to stay away from Alberta Spruce

OutsideImprovements
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Define "tall?"

He said around 20ft but then he said 30ft or so would be tolerable. So I'd like to stay around 20ft but If I have to I can put in a larger variety.

godzilla
08-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I'd go with blue spruce then.