PDA

View Full Version : Up the price?

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 12:55 PM
i have a customer who recently got a lot of landscaping done. do i up his price because i now have to trim and blow more? or do i wait till next season? i need to be fair and i know he just dumped $3,000 into the landscaping.

Lawn-Scapes
08-05-2002, 01:03 PM
How much longer will it take.. 5-10 minutes? How much do you want to increase it?

It's your call.. if you feel it's worth the risk (at this point in the season).. go for it!

I'd wait.

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 01:27 PM
i think i'll hold off. he's refered me to somene already, there's a possibility for more. plus its a high traffic road, i've had good luck with drive-bys. picked up a few accounts that way too. i don't think it's worth a $10 increase. it takes about an extra 10 minutes to trim/blow.

good choice?

Alan Bechard
08-05-2002, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a good choice on this one to me. I would reccomend discussing the landscaping with him and explain maybe forewarn that if more landscaping is added there may need to be a price increase to compensate for the added time.

My wife had a customer that was planting one or two little trees every now and then, one day she goes out and there are at least 50 "twigs" stuck in the ground with little borders!

The lady said "you never raised the price before when I planted trees" We lost her as a customer which is probably a good thing.

I would just stress the importance of a close working relationship and point out that as the customer changes the landscaping and trees and such it impacts our work (and the cost of it) as well.

Al B

Sean Adams
08-05-2002, 03:04 PM
I agree. The extra few minutes of trimming and blowing won't set you back too muc, and if he is a good client, no sense in ruffling feathers. Now if you were doing bed maintenance for a certain price and a client had a significantly sized bed installed, that would be a different story. I think you are making a good choice.

SLS
08-05-2002, 03:07 PM
I believe that you made the right choice too.

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 03:13 PM
thanks for the reassurance guys.

hey alan, i couldn't agree more

Lawn-Scapes
08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Have you seen this client since the new landscape install?

If not.. make sure you tell him how beautiful it is (butter him up) and casually mention that it is taking you a little longer now and you may have to slightly increase the price next season (plant the seed).

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 05:49 PM
hey TSG, this cusomer and i are on a pretty good personal level. when i mow, he comes out and BS's with me for awhile. he is indian and doesn't speak the best english (even though he's a well educated engineer) so i sometimes have to talk/explain things thoroughly to him. he doesn't know much about grass and lawncare. i have, on several occasions complimented his landscaping and how it makes his house look so much better, bigger etc etc. now to take your advice and 'plant the seed' for next years price increase.

thanks for the tips everyone

mowerman90
08-05-2002, 11:34 PM
I had a good customer this year whose wife added 27 items to their backyard for me to trim around. Being as this was a premo property that until now was an easy mow I only raised their price by $15 per month. (dirt cheap IMHO). Next thing ya know they tell me my services won't be needed anymore. As it turns out, one of their neighbors owns a lawn care business and undercut me on the price. I figured let'em have it, I didn't need the aggravation and I surely wasn't going to drop my price. I figure I'm better off without them.