PDA

View Full Version : How to trim a pear trim?

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
This lady want me to trim hear pear tree..some branches are too low,
Anybody haves do's and dont's about pear tree's

Thanks

skidoofool07
08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Heres what you do you get your chainsaw, put a notch in the base of the tree and then make your back cut and watch it fall :laugh:. They are very weak trash trees. In all honesty if its not a fruit bearing tree you can cut the top out of them to reduce the weight so they do not split out and it will not hurt the tree by doing that.

PerfectEarth
08-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Heres what you do you get your chainsaw, put a notch in the base of the tree and then make your back cut and watch it fall :laugh:. They are very weak trash trees. In all honesty if its not a fruit bearing tree you can cut the top out of them to reduce the weight so they do not split out and it will not hurt the tree by doing that.

exactly. Remove and grind the stump!:)

If the branches are too low, just limb it up! Make your cuts at the collar, near the trunk (don't leave limb stumps or big nubs!) .... take a peek every now and then, and don't overdo it!

dKoester
08-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Replace the bradford with a chanticleer pear. It has stronger wood.

kirk1701
08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Have three peach tree's I need to do the same with this fall.

Can cutting the top out of work just the same? Yes, they are 2 years old and should bare fruit next year god willing :clapping:

Another question, fertilizer; what you all recomend? Spring or fall or both?

dKoester
08-24-2010, 12:36 AM
I have peach trees as well. Spray for fruit worms when they are blooming. Check bark periodically for borers. You can tell when you have borers when the tree starts leaking a sappy jelly substance. I normally press the bark hard enough to kill whats under it. This gets rid of them. If you don't want to do that use beneficial nematodes.Top the tree at 8 feet during the winter when the sap is completely down. This encourages branching which produces more fruit in the future. You do not want too much fruit per branch so thin fruit to 4-5 per 5 foot branch. This will yield a larger crop(Larger peaches)and prevent branch breakage. Fertilize 3X per year with 10-10-10. Once before bloom, Once during fruit production,Then again in the fall. I have the freestone variety Elberta. Nice large red peach. Try to water deeply. Every 5th day. Give then 2 inches of water. You don't want them to crack by watering incorrectly.

Dreams To Designs
08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Are they ornamental pears or fruit trees? If they are fruit trees, specific practices need to be followed and good clean tools are important.

If they are Bradford pears or many of the cultivars, I agree with skid & perfect, chainsaw to the ground, grind or remove the stump and plant something better suited and more sustainable in it's place. If you and your client feel it necessary to prune a pear tree, special attention should be used to make thinning cuts in areas where weak wood will develop. When the crotch angle of branching will lead to included bark, that should be pruned out early. Most cuts for this tree should be thinning cuts rather than heading back. Remove an entire branch rather than snip off the end which will lead to more canopy clutter.

Kirk

robertsturf
08-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Are they ornamental pears or fruit trees? If they are fruit trees, specific practices need to be followed and good clean tools are important.

If they are Bradford pears or many of the cultivars, I agree with skid & perfect, chainsaw to the ground, grind or remove the stump and plant something better suited and more sustainable in it's place. If you and your client feel it necessary to prune a pear tree, special attention should be used to make thinning cuts in areas where weak wood will develop. When the crotch angle of branching will lead to included bark, that should be pruned out early. Most cuts for this tree should be thinning cuts rather than heading back. Remove an entire branch rather than snip off the end which will lead to more canopy clutter.

Kirk

Totally agree!! There is a company here in KC that trims them like a shrub, what a mess. In 2 years time they look horrible!!

Smallaxe
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks

I think pears have similar care patterns as apples. Prune anytime during dormancy, preferably late winter. If it is a fruit tree, anyways.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
planted some lg cleveland selects this spring. Would also like to hear some beneficial maintainance practices..

phasthound
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks

Ignore any advice until you identify what type of pear tree you are talking about.