PDA

View Full Version : is it worth buying

jsandy1219
08-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a 54 fast trak and love it, i have stripping kits on my other mowers and i think they make a huge diff. on the outcome of the yard so i am thinking about putting one on this hustler too however on this mower they are the rollers and i have never used rollers for stripping before so i really dont know how well they work plus they are really expensive. So far i have got mixed advice on the people i have asked but these people didnt have the same mower either, if you have this kit on your mower i would really like to know what you think about the roller kits before you had them on your mower and after. thanks

mowerconsultant
08-23-2010, 07:27 PM
They are a nice kit and work well, I am sure people will chime in, in the mean time here is a pic of one.

http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/attachments/large/FTstripe_roller.jpg

cbkc
08-26-2010, 02:05 AM
I used a roller from "Big League Lawns" for a few years on a couple different Hustlers. They worked well but I just didn't like it sticking out of the back of the mower. When making tight turns it was like having a trailer behind you and it would sometimes hit things when making turns. I haven't used it this year on my Super Z and it still stripes great without any striping kit. My final answer is not to get one, use a high lift blade or use a strip of rubber on the back of the deck or under the mower to help stripe. I believe a good mower set-up correctly with the right blades will stripe really well without additional help with a striping kit. If you are using a home depot mower then you would need to add a striping kit.

jsandy1219
08-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. You said it stuck out a lot and I agree it does, does it stay down at all times? and if so how did you load it on your trailer?

cbkc
08-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Yea it stayed down all the time and it wouldn't affect trailer loading. It is firmly mounted at a distance from the mower but it does have the flexibility to move up and down to go over rough terrain, etc. When I took it off of my last Hustler it was like driving a truck after you drop off the trailer, just felt a lot better with better turning ability, probably just mental. I had bumped into everything from deck posts to landscaping rocks to lawn ornaments to electrical boxes. After taking the roller off the mower it still striped great and didn't make the grass look quite so "smashed." Again I would recommend a rubber strip or messing with the deck pitch and types of blades. If you still want a roller let me know, you can have mine from Big League Lawns for cheap. I live in KC, MO.

Advance Lawn
11-08-2010, 05:07 PM
cbkc- How much would you sell your stripping kit for? If its available, I might be interested.