PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping in China???

JimLewis
08-05-2002, 03:27 PM
So I got this wierd email the other day from some guy wanting to know if I'd assist them in a landscaping project in China.

I get this kind of stuff a bit because we are so well listed on search engines and on the web in general that a lot of people find us that way. I got a request to go work in the middle east a few months ago. Turned that down.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I replied back asking what, specifically, they were talking about. They replied today that they were going to be installing a landscape and maintaining it for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. They have the money and the ability to land the job. But they don't have the landscaping experience. So they apparently want to hire us (me) to come over and do some design work, training, construction, etc.

This leaves me in a bit of a pickle as to what to do. It sounds very interesting. But there are some challenges. Primarily, I have no idea what the climate, soil conditions, plant materials, local suppliers, etc. are like in China. I would have to do a lot of research.

On the other hand, this could be a great opportunity. And I am in a position where I could leave my company here for a few weeks at a time and let my wife and foreman run things. So my current business wouldn't be hurt.

Any ideas? Comments? I am still waiting for more information from these guys. Also hoping it isn't just a scam too.

This is all too weird. What do you do in a case like this? It's almost too cool to pass up.

rodfather
08-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Heck Jim...

... I would jump through hopes for that kind of opportunity. Would be a real "feather in your cap", too.

If your business back stateside doesn't suffer (you mentioned your wife and foreman could hold the fort), why not go for it?

Check it out...what do you have to lose?

JimLewis
08-05-2002, 05:45 PM
Wow. I just received a call from the guy who has been emailing me. These guys are serious. He is apparently just a representative for the contruction company in China who wants a landscaping partner. We exchanged some info. and he will call me back in a few days with more information.

It almost sounds as if they want a full-time partner to add to their construction business. Not just this job, but many more. I guess Beijing is a hot economy and lots of construction, etc. is going to be going on there over the next few years. He also said there is very little competition.

Hmmm... I always said China was one of the LAST countries I'd ever want to live in. I may soon be confronted with a delima.

kris
08-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Jim,

Very cool.

Sent you a PM.

BigJim
08-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Hmmm,they want a partner for their company?and they have just plucked you off the internet?Do you have to send any money in advance to secure this partnership?see where I'm heading...could be alright,but MAXIMUM CAUTION adviced.Sounds real good but most cons do,especially if they try to ride on the coattails of the Olympics.Let us know what happens,but make sure you see the money(in your account)first....

JimLewis
08-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Yes, I agree. I see scams like that all the time. I won't be sending ANY money to them. They'll be sending money my way or nothing. :-)

heygrassman
08-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Watch the exchange rates and make sure that there is a provision for changes in the exchange rates.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Easy Jim put that Bozai there, put that maple there.:D Their climet is not to far off of southern to middle CA's. Acually it is more tropical like middle FL.

If the money is right and clears the bank and all expences paid go for it.

Partnership though?????? not a chance.

www.beijing-2008.org/eolympic/eindex.s

www.flashpaper.com/beijing/

http://aolsvc.travel.igougo.com/content/...

Stonehenge
08-11-2002, 09:40 PM
That sounds like quite an amazing opportunity.

I'll admit it does seem odd that they want to partner with someone based a few e-mails.

What do you know about the San Fran firm that won the bid to do design the Olympic Green? Will you be doing actual Oly work, or help with design/build of the non-Olympic, city improvements?

I guess I'd be cautious - this story sounds a lot like Rocky 1. But you'd be nuts not to investigate it further.

Lanelle
08-11-2002, 10:39 PM
If this is as big a project as one might imagine, you can be certain that there will be competition for the work.

tim cooper
08-15-2002, 02:23 AM
Jump at it dude!!! BTW you would probably have the entire Chinese government support. i/e labor, supplies, material..... Heck, just to travel to China might be worth the effort and as stated above..... looks good on a resume for prospective business opportunities...

AGLA
08-15-2002, 06:30 AM
China, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, let's not forget Nigeria... everyone with a web site gets these fantastic offers. Just remember, if you get there you are not in the US. You have no recourse if things don't go the way you were told ... even if it is in writing.
Does it make sense to hire someone from the other side of the world where plants, design, soil, insects, diseases, and cultural practices are different when you have over a billion people that will work for next to nothing? Let me guess, there is some paper work you must fill out which involves personal information. They are after something from you that they will get long before you get a visa and they will be done with you.
Identity theft is a big business.
I, for one, like it just fine here in the good old USA.

JimLewis
08-15-2002, 11:12 AM
AGLA,

I understand your skepticism. I get all sorts of bogus email from "the former consulate of Nigeria" too. Wanting me to "share" in their $45 Million if I will just let them deposit the money into my account.

But this doesn't appear to be like that. Not only did the person who contacted me have a legitimate email address, but he has also given me his work and cell phone numbers here in the United States. And we've talked briefly and they have yet to ask for any personal information. I would think if it were a scam they would have jumped right on it and tried to get as much info. as they could.

Anyway, I am skeptical too. I won't be giving out any personal information. And I wouldn't do the work unless I was paid well and paid some in advance. The rest of the payments would be on time on a regular basis (once a month) or I wouldn't do the work.

I, too, am also skeptical about working in another [comunist] country. Not all that exciting. But money talks. And if it is enough, I may do it.

Who knows what will happen? I will just watch and see and be very careful. Still, someone's gonna have to pay me pretty handsomely if I am gonna move over to China and leave my own business behind - even if it's only temporary.

lakeviewnw
08-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Sounds awfully interesting, but caution is the watchword, as everyone has said. Would definitely check this company out with the Better Business Bureau, etc. I would also think that there would be a Chinese Consulate Office there in Portland, and they might be able to help you on a background check on these guys, as well as giving you sources to research the soil conditions, climate, indigenous plants, etc for the particular region.

Loosestrife
08-17-2002, 07:42 AM
Jim- Please don't tale offense at this, it is just something to think about...

From reading your posts, it seems that you are a fairly small business, relativly speaking. Why would someone working on a project of Olympic magnitude contact someone running a small business to run the show? Furthermore, contacting someone just out of the blue?

If you had said that this came as a referral from someone that knew you, I'd be a bit more inclined to think that it was something, but....

I would think that they would be looking for someone that has experience in managing projects of that scope.

John Allin
08-17-2002, 10:55 AM
For what it's worth....

I know that one of the larger landscape companies in the USA has looked at doing some landscaping in China for the Olympics. I was contacted by this USA company to assist in dealing with the Olympic Committee.

Apparently there is quite a lack of landscape experience in China and China wants to put on a good front for the world. Landscaping is a good way to do that. I know from experience that the host city will put millions into infrastructure and cosmetic improvements.

While I would tend to wonder why someone would pick anyone to do this, it may not be quite as far fetched as some would think. This could, in fact, be for real......

Also, and from personal experience, I would ask some serious questions about how you get paid. "Partnering" would lend me to believe that the payoff is abit down the road. We expended several tens of thousands of dollars dealing with the Salt Lake Organizing Committee before we saw a dime, and before we had a contract.

If a contractor from China approached me - I'd be asking questions about how my expenses were being handled before jumping in with both feet. If they want you to participate now with the prospects of a big payoff much later - then I'd be quite wary about just how much participation I'd be willing to 'donate' to the cause.

Again, from experience, there are alot of entities chasing those dollars to be spent over there...... including some others from the USA and other countries.