PDA

View Full Version : New truck!!!!

mowerbrad
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new truck. Its a 2007 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L, extended cab, 4x4, LT package. This truck absolutely blows my mind and far exceeds my expectations. I drove about 100 miles to get it at a dealership. Before I left on the trip back home, I filled the truck with gas, when I got home I filled it up again. With a fairly light foot and cruising at 70mph (90% highway), I was able to achieve 17.38 mpg!!!! These are hand calculated numbers too.

I absolutely love this truck!!!!!!!!

Trevor8
08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Looks great, a lot better than the old GMC.

Mike Blevins
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Just sold a 2004 chevrolet 2500 4x4 extended cab with the 6.0 litre. The 6.0 is a great engine but it does drink the fuel. I never got near 17 miles per gallon in mine. Thats why I bought a Cummins diesel. I get more than twice the miles than before. great looking truck! I hope it serves you well.:clapping:

Moto52
08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Awesome glad you finally bought something, I'm sure you will like it night and day better then that old beater...

kodak mowing
08-23-2010, 09:33 PM
nice truck

Jpeg lawn maintenance
08-23-2010, 09:40 PM
VEry nice truck. Now throw a trailer behind it and you will be getting 10 lol sucks but thats the way it is!

xclusive
08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I love that truck!! I wanted to buy either that or a gmc but they did not have any 2010's left with the options I wanted so i bought a ford 350. Best of luck with it!!

nepatsfan
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Finally! Nice looking truck....quite an upgrade.

TurboMazda
08-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice wheels.................It really drinks a lot of fuel, those duramax Isuzu engines are reliable strong and more good, the only down about them is the MPG but like someone mention, maybe in the future you could swap a Cummings engine and get double that MPG.

mowerbrad
08-23-2010, 10:21 PM
This truck was a tough one to find. I had to look around quite a bit and I was hoping to buy closer to home, but a 2 hour drive was not too bad. Most of the trucks like this one that I found, had already sold by the time I called the dealer. I found this one last week, test drove it on saturday and bought it this afternoon. It has 51k on it and was priced well under blue book value, so I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

It came with more options than I ever wanted (which I am finding out that I really like). And it is really good shape. I put about 10-12k on my vehicle every year, so this should last me the 10 years I'd like it to.

I didn't think I'd really like the gas engines, but I am already loving this 6.0L and its only been a day.

Oakleaf landscape
08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I have a 2007 silverado 1500 extended cab with the 6.0L vortec max and on the highway i get 14mpg. I would like to know how a heavier truck gets better milage lol?

oakwdman
08-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Nice wheels.................It really drinks a lot of fuel, those duramax Isuzu engines are reliable strong and more good, the only down about them is the MPG but like someone mention, maybe in the future you could swap a Cummings engine and get double that MPG.

you plan on giving advice on swapping in a motor you cant even spell right?

mowerbrad
08-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a 2007 silverado 1500 extended cab with the 6.0L vortec max and on the highway i get 14mpg. I would like to know how a heavier truck gets better milage lol?

I was blown away when I actually determined I got 17mpg. I was going to be exstatic if I got 14mpg, but I definately didn't expect 17. My computer on the truck said I was getting 17.4 average on that tank. At first I didn't really believe it, but when I actually did the calculations it came out to 17.38 mpg.

I filled the tank when I left the dealership. I traveled 107 miles exactly by the time I pulled into the gas station near my house. I put in 6.155 gallons, which when you do the math comes out to 17.3842404549147 mpg. So my computer was right on.

I'll see what I get tomorrow when I have a little more mixed driving, probably 60% highway and 40% city.

deerewashed
08-23-2010, 10:57 PM

hahaha i just pissed my self laughing....i love it and think its hilarious that people even with them in their trucks think cummins is spelled with a g..haha

SkinnyVinny
08-23-2010, 11:24 PM
awesome truck, congrats!! Now throw a Fisher on there!!:)

deere615
08-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow man congrats! I had to drive about an hour to get my 03 6liter also. I get no where near 17 though I get usually 10 loaded or unloaded. I want a truck similar to yours with the duramax next year

02DURAMAX
08-24-2010, 12:00 AM

:laugh::laugh::waving:

TurboMazda
08-24-2010, 12:12 AM

I am really sorry you don't like my English, Why would I give him advice to do an engine swap on a truck he just got? Let him enjoy his new ride and when he wishes to do the swap I'll give him any advice.
I don't need to know perfect English to do some engine swap, I have done so many that giving advice on how to is a simple matter to me.

Besides, my translator gave me that option...................

Kennedy Landscaping
08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Nice truck, congrats on the new ride.

joef450snowplow
08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
nice truck tobad shes not a diesel

scagrider22
08-24-2010, 01:00 AM

The Vortec Max is tuned differently, and it also has a different trans and rear axle. I have 4 2500hd's with 6.0L's two of them are the old body style which only get about 9-10 mpg and two of them are the new body style and they are getting 16-17 mpg, but as soon as you hook up a trailer to the newer ones the mileage is about the same as the old ones. Also you may drive your truck diffrently.

Paul's LC
08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
alright i love the truck and im gonna be the cowboy that brakes the ice... mind telling us what you paid?

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 08:16 AM
I know its not a diesel, I was really hoping to buy a diesel actually, but after talking with my mechanics, I just couldn't justify buying a duramax. Mainly because if something breaks on it, its a ton of money to get it fixed most of the time.

I did drive with a pretty "light foot" when I got the 17mpg's.

The price was well under blue book. It was $23995. It was GM certifed used, came with the remainder of the powertrain warranty (for another year and a half) and also came with the 12month-12,000 mile "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. I'm very happy with it. I love all the options on it too (PW, PL, PM, power folding mirrors, auto dimming rearview mirror, rear window defroster, HD trailering package, integrated trailer brake controller, driver information center, 3 months of Onstar for free, 4x4, side steps, center console, steeriing wheel mounted controls, MP3 hook-up, dual power seats, dual climate control). The only thing I have left to do is put in it is the line-x spray in bedliner.

bobcat48
08-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Nice..i like it.

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, with a little more mixed driving today I was able to get 15.5mpg....I did not tow a trailer though, more city and highway driving unloaded. I'd say I got a good 50/50 mix of city and highway today, about 100 miles worth. Again, that is with a light foot.

I'm towing tomorrow and Thursday, so I will see what I get then for mileage.

So far loving the new truck!!!!!

freshprince94
08-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Im a Ford guy but that is a sweet looking truck. Congrats and good luck with it.

Springmeadows
08-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I love the red color. I wanted a red truck, but ended up getting a white crew cab 2 years ago. Still, the red is the color. I also had the 6.0 in the last truck, great motor with no trouble. My truck now has the Duramax and I love it.

Z-master man
08-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I know its not a diesel, I was really hoping to buy a diesel actually, but after talking with my mechanics, I just couldn't justify buying a duramax. Mainly because if something breaks on it, its a ton of money to get it fixed most of the time.

The price was well under blue book. It was $23995. It was GM certifed used, came with the remainder of the powertrain warranty (for another year and a half) and also came with the 12month-12,000 mile "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. I'm very happy with it. I love all the options on it too (PW, PL, PM, power folding mirrors, auto dimming rearview mirror, rear window defroster, HD trailering package, integrated trailer brake controller, driver information center, 3 months of Onstar for free, 4x4, side steps, center console, steeriing wheel mounted controls, MP3 hook-up, dual power seats, dual climate control). The only thing I have left to do is put in it is the line-x spray in bedliner and a fisher 8'6" extreme V.
There fixed it for you.

oakwdman
08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
There fixed it for you.
Now I fixed that for you! lol

The price was well under blue book. It was $23995. It was GM certifed used, came with the remainder of the powertrain warranty (for another year and a half) and also came with the 12month-12,000 mile "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. I'm very happy with it. I love all the options on it too (PW, PL, PM, power folding mirrors, auto dimming rearview mirror, rear window defroster, HD trailering package, integrated trailer brake controller, driver information center, 3 months of Onstar for free, 4x4, side steps, center console, steeriing wheel mounted controls, MP3 hook-up, dual power seats, dual climate control). The only thing I have left to do is put in it is the line-x spray in bedliner and an 8' 2" BOSS v..

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 10:01 PM
No plow is going on this truck. Some of my friends tell me to get the boss V-XT and a back blade, but there is just no way I'm going to do that. I bought this truck to last me the next 10 years, I don't want to start plowing with it and shorten its lifespan. Plus I have already spent way too much this year...new mower, new truck and new trailer.

GravelyGuy
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Those MPG numbers sound pretty good. Truck looks great! Your decision process was agonizing :laugh:

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Those MPG numbers sound pretty good. Truck looks great! Your decision process was agonizing :laugh:

I about drove myself crazy looking for a truck. I was so indecisive through the whole process (over the last few months). I think originally I was planning on something around an 04...I am so glad I went with an 07. I get in the truck now and it is absolutely amazing.

But going from my old truck with manual locks, windows, mirrors...to this truck is a huge step up. I've been trying to have any excuse to drive this truck, its a much nicer ride than I'm used to.

Very glad right now that I went with the 6.0L.

STIHL GUY
08-24-2010, 11:15 PM
thats a sick truck epecially if your getting 17mpgs i get average of 10.7 in my 2500HD thats towing and non towing and mostly city driving

Moto52
08-24-2010, 11:15 PM

haha yea that was the longest decision making process I have ever seen in my life.. shoulda went for the diesel! lol

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
haha yea that was the longest decision making process I have ever seen in my life.. shoulda went for the diesel! lol

I will admit that it took me forever to choose a truck. But I wanted to choose the right truck and not end up with something that I wasn't going to be happy with. After all, I pretty much bought my last truck just because I could get it for a good price. With this truck I actually spent more money that I really wanted to, but I got a truck that I'm more than happy with.

Don't even start about the whole diesel thing. And to think that I was almost dead set on getting diesel then come home with a gasser. :dizzy:

Moto52
08-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I will admit that it took me forever to choose a truck. But I wanted to choose the right truck and not end up with something that I wasn't going to be happy with. After all, I pretty much bought my last truck just because I could get it for a good price. With this truck I actually spent more money that I really wanted to, but I got a truck that I'm more than happy with.

Don't even start about the whole diesel thing. And to think that I was almost dead set on getting diesel then come home with a gasser. :dizzy:

Yea i'm just bugging you about the diesel thing, that truck you bought will do everything you want it to. i'm just more into diesels for doing mods to them to go fast lol..

mowerbrad
08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Yea i'm just bugging you about the diesel thing, that truck you bought will do everything you want it to. i'm just more into diesels for doing mods to them to go fast lol..

If I were more mechanically inclined, I think a diesel would have been a nice option for me. However, I don't have the time or knowledge to do all the engine work or mods.

I towed my trailer empty today (just 5 miles from where I store it to my house) and it already tows much better than the 6.5. I'm excited to see how it tows the mower and fully loaded trailer over the next couple days.

scagrider22
08-25-2010, 12:25 AM
If I were more mechanically inclined, I think a diesel would have been a nice option for me. However, I don't have the time or knowledge to do all the engine work or mods.

I towed my trailer empty today (just 5 miles from where I store it to my house) and it already tows much better than the 6.5. I'm excited to see how it tows the mower and fully loaded trailer over the next couple days.

Congrats on the new truck it looks great! I have had great luck with the Chevy 6.0L, I have four of them ranging from a 1999-2008. The 99 has 365,000 miles and its still on the original drive train. They have plenty of power for a maintenace truck, it will pull your mower just fine we tow 20' enclosed trailers behind ours with no problem.

WH401
08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Nice truck, glad you were able to finally find the one that you wanted.

mowerbrad
08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, today was the first day that I actually towed a loaded trailer. I was very impressed with how well it towed, lots of power, smooth and good at stopping the load. The gas mileage is probably 10-11mpg though, not bad. So I should average around 13mpg each tank, which isn't too bad.

After 2 days of owning this truck, I am very pleased. Though I did find out that my tow/haul mode button doesn't work, I'll have to have that fixed (thankfully I got the GM certified warranty with this truck)