PDA

View Full Version : How many want Mandantory Continuing Education ??

mdvaden
08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
As I review classes and stuff I've done for CEUs, its clear that I'm not very gung-ho for mandantory CEUs.

Its one notch above mandantory licensing here. License first, then CEUs after.

One beef I have with it, is that someone who passed tests and had maybe 4 years of college, must also do it.

I'm not a 4 year college person. Just think that someone with college in horticulture has so much education and drive, odds are they don't need someone monitoring their progress.

Thoughts?

Anyone else have to deal with CEUs for landscaping?

AGLA
08-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Not many states have licensing for landscape contractors. However, it seems most state wide landscape trade organizations have ceu's for their various certificate programs. Most of those seem to be centered around attending local eetings or other things that boost the organization more than anything else.

If it is indeed for education and not revenue, the ceu's should be available from sources totally disconnected from membership or revenue from the entity that is requiring them. Even if there is no intention to use it to increase revenue or membership, it always drifts more and more in that direction until it becomes the main goal, in my opinion.

MarcSmith
08-24-2010, 08:44 AM
I hate CEU's. but I have to do them for my Pesticide recert every 2 years. and they did not count toward my CLT CEU's so I let my CLT in Maintenance and Installation expire. and I only needed to pass one module for the CLP, but since my CEU were not valid I figured it would be a waste of time...

That being said, I am a college boy...and I do learn and research on my own.

But I have mixed emotions about forced CEU's...the classes are usually crap, It ends up being an infomercial for the sponsors......But some people won't go out and "learn" any other way...so its a catch-22...

Buck_wheat
08-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I believe it's important to stay current. CEU's help do that. Reading these message boards do that too if you can weed through all the BS.

MarcSmith
08-25-2010, 07:47 AM
CEU's help do that. just has to be a good class and not an infomercial...

JimLewis
10-12-2010, 03:57 AM
I guess I don't have an opinion either way. It's mildly annoying. And I know it's true that many of the classes you can get CEUs here in OR area pretty basic stuff like "how to install l.v. lighting", "how to build and sell water features" and "Drainage options". But I look at it this way; almost every class like that I've taken, regardless of whether I've taken a similar one in the past or already know a lot about the subject, I almost always learn something new that sticks with me. So over all, I don't see that they do any harm, other than take up some of your time.

I think the whole process of licensing here is a little messed up to begin with. You gotta jump through way too many hoops just to lay down some sod or plant a few trees. So what's one more hoop to have to jump through? Like most government agencies, I suspect they will only create more hoops in the future, not less.

On the other hand, if you were able to bring it up for a vote to repeal the requirement for CEUs and I was allowed vote, yah, I'd vote for repealing it. Sure. But it doesn't really bug me all that much. I would usually take several classes at the Expos and suppliers in town each year anyway.

mdvaden
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
I guess I don't have an opinion either way. It's mildly annoying. And I know it's true that many of the classes you can get CEUs here in OR area pretty basic stuff like "how to install l.v. lighting", "how to build and sell water features" and "Drainage options". But I look at it this way; almost every class like that I've taken, regardless of whether I've taken a similar one in the past or already know a lot about the subject, I almost always learn something new that sticks with me. So over all, I don't see that they do any harm, other than take up some of your time.

I think the whole process of licensing here is a little messed up to begin with. You gotta jump through way too many hoops just to lay down some sod or plant a few trees. So what's one more hoop to have to jump through? Like most government agencies, I suspect they will only create more hoops in the future, not less.

On the other hand, if you were able to bring it up for a vote to repeal the requirement for CEUs and I was allowed vote, yah, I'd vote for repealing it. Sure. But it doesn't really bug me all that much. I would usually take several classes at the Expos and suppliers in town each year anyway.

Its my re-visit thread morning.

Forgot to check back on this one.

What you wrote is along the lines of my thoughts. I do enough self-educating in a year anyway, that I don't really need the license board getting involved. Like the seminars that you would attend anyway.

A lot of us take classes, read dozens of online articles, books, and so on.

In the broad look, I think that most decent landscapers overall probably do sufficient learning on their own.

andyslawncare
10-29-2010, 03:11 AM
There is always newly researched material to learn :)

If everyone is regulated, maybe the industry price standard could rise also??

We would all know more, and we could all make more money; while at the same time, idiots wouldn't be able to participate until they learn something!