PDA

View Full Version : Edging yard at street (w/o curb)

rc4less
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I have several yards that have a grass ditch (8"-12" deep) against an asphalt street. (no curb and gutter). They want the lawn edged at the street. I've used my Stick Edger to cut a groove and they shovel up the excess grass. Takes way too long. Any suggestions for a better method or better suited equipment.
Thanks Much, BT

cut level
08-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I wish I did as I am in the same boat. I picked up 2 recently that will need the same thing done and they both have the same grass ditch and depth you speak of. What are you using to keep a straight line as the road well you know how it is at the edge, rocky, gravel and junk! I am afraid I will go thru some blades to get this done.

hotwater
08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
This is where a trimmer comes in handy, but if you're use to that stick edger that straight line may not be too straight.

rc4less
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks Hotwater, your right, the line with the stick edger is pretty poor. I've been thinking about a small version of some kind of rotary brush like a lot of guys use in heavy snow areas to brush the driveway clear. Not sure how stiff of a brush would be needed to brush off a clean edge of centipede. http://www.united-rotary.com/ is a source I've been looking at.
BT

This is where a trimmer comes in handy, but if you're use to that stick edger that straight line may not be too straight.

cut level
08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah thats what I figurred. Mine goes downhill and is curved just to add to the fun.

RussellB
08-24-2010, 05:13 PM
When I purchased my house the lawn had grown into the street. No curb and gutter, just asphalt. I ran my edger along the lawn then used my weed eater to remove the extra grass that grew into the road. Used my blower and blew the crap in my yard to be mowed up then sprayed round up along the road. Takes several rains to get the asphalt that was under the removed grass to blend back in with the street. What was even better is that all my nieghbors in the culdasac liked it and edged theirs.

JCLawn and more
08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
hum, can you take a picture? my edger can angle 15 degrees in or out. It can edge asphalt, so if you can post a picture I an tell you if what I have will work

Shasta Lake Landscaping
08-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Dig a small 3" trench/edge with a shovel, then when trimming, stand on the grass side and hold your trimmer upside down to re-clear said trench on a regular basis.

cut level
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
allright as i posted a year earlier in thi thread i new i was goin to eventually have to do this very thing to a few of my propertiesthat ae very nice neighborhood 400-600k range, which for my location it is the most expensive neighborhood in the county or the 2nd. The Links may be the most but anyway my point is I have to edge the lawn at the road which has no curb or gutter just lawn meets the road.

There are probably 3 other companies in the subdivison and some do and some dont edge the street. I believe the consensus on it would be its a per customer basis where it isnt done unless asked because not only is it more labor intensive each time you service the property but would require a good bit of work the first time to get the edge worked back to the best straight edge you can as well as cleaning up the rocks, grass, debris. I will agree that it does look much better edgedat the street. I do not edge these properties per say at the stret we just keep the somewhat edge of the grass straight and neat. I have 5 properties in this subdivision and have upsold them all to us developing the defined edge.

My question after all this babbling is what application have yal found or decided works best for getting this done?

I do have Stihl stick edgers which i love and do a great job but i dont think its the tool for the job because of the way the lawn mets the road and I am certain we would BURN through a stack of blades. The subdivision is only about 6 years old so the road is not a great one because they opened another phase up in the subdivision and they wont "finish" the road until i guess the other phase is complete.

I think working it back with our trimers Stihl FS90's is going to be the quickest most efficient way to accomplish it.

vencops
08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd sure like to see a photo of the finished look.

If you have bermuda grass, I'd suggest being really careful what you spray with gly. (RU - AI).

cut level
08-07-2011, 04:57 PM
yeah they are all irrigated bermuda and I dont plan on using any gly on this just trimmer or if you have a suggestion on this please put it out there.

vencops
08-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm intrigued with this concept.

IF this is a private road, would it be feasible to cut the asphalt with a chop-saw to create a defined edge? I don't have the answer.

44DCNF
08-08-2011, 10:30 AM
run a string, paint string, remove string, cut along the painted line with spade, edger, or trimmer, clean up debris, step back, view straight edge, smile, collect pay

David Haggerty
08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
A walk behind edger does a suprisingly good job on asphalt. I'd always heard you can't edge asphalt, no defined edge, you'll tear up the edge, and so on. Not true! Those asphalt spreaders put down a pretty straight edge. Sure it ain't going to look like concrete edge, because it's not. Edging with an edger looks a lot better than edging with herbicides.