PDA

View Full Version : 52 or 61 wb

jsaunders
08-05-2002, 09:24 PM
Just a quick question.- What are your thoughts, which is better? I have 2 52'' Ferris d/d hydros now and I'm thinking of upgrading. Do the 61'' wb's scalp more or should I consider a rider? I'm leaning towards the wb besause I have alot of bumpy lawns that would just beat my body.
Thanks for any advice!
Joel

LAWNGODFATHER
08-05-2002, 09:26 PM
I suggest you demo both the 52" ZTR and the 60" ZTR and a 60" WB and see which one "you" like better.

BTW they did invent suspention seats to surpress the bumps.

jsaunders
08-05-2002, 09:42 PM
I was surprised you didn't "mention" Exmark:) I have demoed a 61 ferris ztr with the independent suspension. Seemed a little hard unlike with a velky. Do you get more used to the bumps after using the ztr? I only put 6 hrs on the demo.
Thanks

LAWNGODFATHER
08-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Yes you get used to it, you learn to slow down on the bumpy parts (which is still faster than a WB).

BTW EXMARK Lazer with a suspension seat has a better ride than the Ferris.

jsaunders
08-05-2002, 09:55 PM
I have wanted to check out the Exmark, but been busy and the nearest dealer is at least 40 minutes away 1 way. Was thinking of how nice it would be to open up and sell Exmarks-( things to do in the future):p

Doc Pete
08-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by jsaunders
I'm leaning towards the wb besause I have alot of bumpy lawns that would just beat my body.Thanks for any advice!
Joel

Yup, me too. The lawns I have I'd never use a ZTR. Either the rest of the world has smooth lawns, or they've already been bounced around so much they can't tell the difference :p
And for the record, I have demo'd a new Huster Z with suspension seat, and various other machines. And, I do Love Hustlers, just not a rider. FWIW, as I watch all the guy's on riders, with their head and shoulders rocking back and forth, they either are " rockin to the music", or it's as bumpy as I thought.
That just how I see it........
Pete

The Mowerdude
08-05-2002, 10:33 PM
Well.....you're right. The ZTRs are definately bumpy at times. We minimize the bumpiness by airing down the rear tires to about 12lbs. It helps. We don't air down the fronts because they're foam filled, kinda like on Battlebots. Well, ok, it's exactly like on Battlebots.

Once we know the yards though, we know where we have to slow down and where we can rock!!

edward hedrick
08-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Since you have a Ferris how about a Ferris 3 wheel, or a Gravely

I have a 52 Lesco and a 61 Scag Sthm . Ed

Doc Pete
08-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by The Mowerdude
We minimize the bumpiness by airing down the rear tires to about 12lbs. It helps. We don't air down the fronts because they're foam filled, kinda like on Battlebots. Well, ok, it's exactly like on Battlebots.

Wow, I could never run that high a pressure. I'm running 7 lbs. in my Velky equiped WB. Actually I had to get a special gage, since I couldn't find one that would reliably read under 10 lbs down to 4 lbs.
However, I can run over 2x4's and not even know it......
Pete

The Mowerdude
08-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Yeah, down under 10 lbs and you have to find a guage like the drag racing guys use.

I might be able to go under 10 lbs, it's just that I haven't been brave enough. I've always just been sure that if I hit the right bump the durn tire's bead would separate and there I'd be out in the middle of someone's yard. :blush:

That's just the way it goes for me, too.:angry:

Doc Pete
08-06-2002, 07:12 AM
Yeah, down under 10 lbs and you have to find a guage like the drag racing guys use.

I might be able to go under 10 lbs, it's just that I haven't been brave enough. I've always just been sure that if I hit the right bump the durn tire's bead would separate and there I'd be out in the middle of someone's yard. :blush:

That's just the way it goes for me, too.:angry:

Now how come you're so smart;) . That's one of the reasons I changed my tires on my WB. First it was for a softer tire, but second to avoid a pinched tube. The original's were 10x18, which leaves a small sidewall. I went to an 8x20, which doubled my sidewall thickness. Now, if I could just the manufacture to get some smarts. :p
Pete

The Mowerdude
08-06-2002, 09:27 AM
I really beleive that there are a number of supporters to the green industry that don't actually mow grass and as such, don't really know how their products stand up in the day to day grind.

For example, the reason I had my fronts foam filled is because even the smallest pinch in the tube would have the tire flat in just a few seconds. Then if I didn't notice it right off the bead would separate and I'd have to be out there in the customer's yard wrapping a strap or rope around the tire to try and set the bead before putting the air to it. If it was tubeless, I could plug the leak but if it had a tube, I would be breaking the whole thing down. I've rarely ever been able to do this without running my air tank empty, which means that I'd better get it on the first shot.

If you're looking for a place to foam fill your tires, call around among the fork lift people. The people who use fork lifts are the biggest customers of the people who foam fill tires.

Only fill the front tires because it's considerably firmer than a tire with air in it. I did all 4 tires on my Scag 52 hydro about 5 years ago. It's a little rough riding, but I haven't had to replace a tire in all these years. :cool: And the tread on the backs is still 80%+.

Doc Pete
08-06-2002, 11:37 AM
I really beleive that there are a number of supporters to the green industry that don't actually mow grass and as such, don't really know how their products stand up in the day to day grind.

Yeah, I know that for a fact. Furthermore, the manufacture's listen to friend's and don't bother to check up if these so called friends actually know anything. Damn, I have another small business, and the first thing I did was listen to the people using the product. Now, my product sells intself.
Pete