PDA

View Full Version : Super Z rear discharge deck pictures

clif
08-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Is there anywhere I could go to see some pictures of the rear discharge xr7 decks? I'd like to be able to see even underneath the deck to compare it to the side discharge deck. Or if someone would be kind enough to post some here I'd appreciate it.

mowerconsultant
08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Here is a pic of the rear discharge deck.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/rddeck.jpg

Here is a pic of the XR-7 deck (older pic, sorry) with a mulch kit installed.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/mowerconsultant/work/XR-7-deck.jpg

SouthCoast Walker
08-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Is it possible to convert the 54inch rear discharge to a mulcher?

mowerconsultant
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Is it possible to convert the 54inch rear discharge to a mulcher?

No, not from Hustler at least, I guess anything is possible with some steel a torch and a mig welder set up.

THEGOLDPRO
08-30-2010, 12:47 PM
whats the beni from a rear discharge?

Jimslawncareservice
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
is there any cut difference between 54 rear discharge and the 60 rear discharge. I myself prefer the cut of 60vs54/52 side discharge deck. I am already planning ahead for next year. Thanks

mowerconsultant
09-01-2010, 06:06 PM
whats the beni from a rear discharge?

Safety, nothing being thrown out the side, tall grass / weeds cut faster / requires less HP and of course.. trimming, you can trim on both sides of the deck.

Pj

mowerconsultant
09-01-2010, 06:07 PM
is there any cut difference between 54 rear discharge and the 60 rear discharge. I myself prefer the cut of 60vs54/52 side discharge deck. I am already planning ahead for next year. Thanks

Not that I know of, I havent heard anyone mention it either.

Pj

rwaters
09-01-2010, 07:20 PM
No, not from Hustler at least, I guess anything is possible with some steel a torch and a mig welder set up.

I would have thought that it would pull the engine down a lot with the reversed blade if you closed the deck off. But I am sure someone has tried it... maybe even at hustler.

mowerconsultant
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I would have thought that it would pull the engine down a lot with the reversed blade if you closed the deck off. But I am sure someone has tried it... maybe even at hustler.

You would have to un-reverse the blade by going back to the sd belt and not using the extra pulley we use to reverse that spindle.

Pj

SouthCoast Walker
11-29-2010, 04:16 AM
Can you please provide some specs for the 54 rear discharge blades, cant find them mentioned anywhere on the net.

Part number, length, width, step and centre hole would be much appreciated.

Thanks John.

mowerconsultant
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Can you please provide some specs for the 54 rear discharge blades, cant find them mentioned anywhere on the net.

Part number, length, width, step and centre hole would be much appreciated.

Thanks John.

The 54" RD deck uses the following
2 of Hustler part # 601012 (left & center blade)
1 of Hustler part # 601013 (right blade)

They are all flat blades and all are 18.5" long
I don't have the angle info or the hole diameter here with me.

Pj

blackandgold
12-01-2010, 12:06 AM
I love the RD decks. When you mow with them, you're not dirty. Our sales have been growing ever since this came out. No body offers one like a Hustler.

Hey commercial guys......how many windows did you pay for last year?

Mow medians and roadways? No more rocks thrown at cars or podestrians.

Great for Hospitals, Commercial Properties, Camp Grounds, Schools--no need to worry about thrown objects around kids, no more grass in "the old ladies" flower beds.

Farmers.....trim along fences and builings with both sides of the machine and stay clean doing it. Plus, the Rear Discharge decks come in Gas and Diesel.

Did I mention I like the Hustler Rear Discharge Deck????

SouthCoast Walker
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I love the RD decks. When you mow with them, you're not dirty. Our sales have been growing ever since this came out. No body offers one like a Hustler.

Hey commercial guys......how many windows did you pay for last year?

Mow medians and roadways? No more rocks thrown at cars or podestrians.

Great for Hospitals, Commercial Properties, Camp Grounds, Schools--no need to worry about thrown objects around kids, no more grass in "the old ladies" flower beds.

Farmers.....trim along fences and builings with both sides of the machine and stay clean doing it. Plus, the Rear Discharge decks come in Gas and Diesel.

Did I mention I like the Hustler Rear Discharge Deck????

Those are all good points but at the end of the day the cut has to be to a satisfactory level or the customers won't want that machine on their lawn. And I cant get mine to the satisfactory level. I am about to try the meg-mo blade system to see if that can help.

SouthCoast Walker
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
The 54" RD deck uses the following
2 of Hustler part # 601012 (left & center blade)
1 of Hustler part # 601013 (right blade)

They are all flat blades and all are 18.5" long
I don't have the angle info or the hole diameter here with me.

Pj

Thanks for that info, and the centre hole is 5/8

blackandgold
12-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Not a big fan of the Meg Mo System.

What are your cutting issues?

Have you tried gator blades or standard blades doubled with gators? Have you check your rpm's? Have you adjusted the front deck wall when in shorter or taller grass? How often are you mowing the properties?

Do you have the 31hp Kaw or Diesel Engine? I guess if you said 54" RD you must have a Hustler Z Rear Discharge with the 23hp Kaw.

I just don't hear many complaints on the Rear Discharge Hustlers...but if I can I help, I will.

SouthCoast Walker
12-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Is there a gator replacement for the centre and left blades of the 54" rear discharge? If there is then maybe I can cross reference with another mower for the right side counter rotating blade.

I have heard that Hustler have a association with Oregan the producers of the gator and the fusion hustler blades. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Hustler to convince them to make a counter rotating blade for the rear discharge machines?

mowerconsultant
12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Is there a gator replacement for the centre and left blades of the 54" rear discharge? If there is then maybe I can cross reference with another mower for the right side counter rotating blade.

I have heard that Hustler have a association with Oregan the producers of the gator and the fusion hustler blades. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Hustler to convince them to make a counter rotating blade for the rear discharge machines?

Here is the Hustler part # for the Gator for the center and left blades in the rear discharge deck (and side discharge, same blades)

Hustler part # 797712

SouthCoast Walker
12-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Not a big fan of the Meg Mo System.

What are your cutting issues?

Have you tried gator blades or standard blades doubled with gators? Have you check your rpm's? Have you adjusted the front deck wall when in shorter or taller grass? How often are you mowing the properties?

Do you have the 31hp Kaw or Diesel Engine? I guess if you said 54" RD you must have a Hustler Z Rear Discharge with the 23hp Kaw.

I just don't hear many complaints on the Rear Discharge Hustlers...but if I can I help, I will.

Hi Blackandgold,

Thanks for your concern with my machine. I have the Yanmar diesel and 54" rear discharge.

The actual cutting is not so much of a problem (does leave some stringers) but my main concern is the lack of clipping dispersal, If the grass is really short there is no problem but when its got moderate growth and is thick grass it windrows really badly. The same properties come up a treat with a side discharge.

I haven't tried gators with the original blades because apparently there isn't a gator blade for the counter rotating blade. Or do you know of one?

What is it about the meg-mo system you don't like? Have you actually trialled it or just don't like the concept.

I am pretty desperate to get thing cutting up to scratch, its 3 years old and only has 50hrs on it because I just cant use it anywhere and get a customer friendly presentation.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards John.

SouthCoast Walker
12-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi Mowerconsultant,

Could you tell me what would be involved in fitting a side discharge deck to my machine? When I seen the rear and side discharge machines next to each other I noticed that the front caster wheel on right hand side was positioned differently, why is this so? Thanks John.

mowerconsultant
12-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Mowerconsultant,

Could you tell me what would be involved in fitting a side discharge deck to my machine? When I seen the rear and side discharge machines next to each other I noticed that the front caster wheel on right hand side was positioned differently, why is this so? Thanks John.

Its to involved and then the deck wont be set right in the frame due to the frame offset your talking about.
The offset of the caster wheels is different on every deck size on a Hustler, this is to make sure the wheels are running in the right plane with the blades, so the grass can be lifted and cut properly.

Pj

blackandgold
12-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Tried the Meg Mo's about ten yeas ago on a side discharge---have never tried them on a Rear Discharge.

SouthCoast Walker
12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Tried the Meg Mo's about ten yeas ago on a side discharge---have never tried them on a Rear Discharge.

Fingers crossed I have ordered a set, will let you know how it goes, local council use a disc with swinging blades on their rear discharge Toro and it leaves a great finish so I am hoping it works on the Hustler.

Mowingman
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
SouthCoast,
Save your money. Nothing you do is going to give you the nice looking cut you want, not with that rear discharge.
Quite frankly, you have the wrong deck if you want a nice cut in medium to think grass conditions. There is not a rear discharge deck on the market of any brand, that will give you the cut of a quality side discharge deck. Your ONLY option, is to sell the rear discharge machine.
I have to ask; What posessed you to ever buy a rear discharge deck in the first place? Did you not know about the inherent low quality cut that these decks leave behind? Did you not demonstrate one before buying? I am sure your dealer must have warned you that the rear discharge deck is not suitable for most mowing situations we encounter.
Anyway, again, save your money and get you a Hustler with a good side discharge deck. You will NEVER, and i repeat, NEVER get the cut you want with that deck. Modifying your deck is not safe and will accomplish nothing.

SouthCoast Walker
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Mowingman, Yes you are correct, I have tried the meg-mos now and while they did increase the cut quality substantially they also drain to much power from the engine.

Demo machines are easy to come by in Australia so no I didnt demo before buying but took all the hustler literature and advertising to be correct and they really do sound good in the adverts lol. Safety and not throwing objects was a factor in the purchase.

I am now looking at trading on a Toro G3 unless Hustler want to help out a un happy customer with a nice trade in value? I would be happy to consider another Z or super Z if they want to come to the party??????????????

Mowingman
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I didn't realize you were from Australia. I now see why you were not fully up to speed on the cut quality problems of a rear discharge machine. You do not have the info. available, or the machines available to look at, like we do over here. It surely must be difficult to make good decisions on equipment when living off in a somewhat isolated location.
You are definitly on the right track now, by replacing the machine instead of trying to modify the deck. I hope Hustler can make you a good deal on a replacement, so you do not have to go over to the "red" machines.
Good luck.

SouthCoast Walker
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Just an update on the rear discharge deck, after removing 2 of the meg-mo blades from each disc (leaving 2 blades on each spindle) I now have the standard power back and the cut quality is awesome. It now cuts clean and spreads clippings 100% better. I have been using the mower more in the past few weeks than I did in the past few years. Doing lots of residential yards and the finished product is great.

I highly recommend anybody using the hustler RD to try some meg-mo's.

I also purchased a super Z SD today to tandem with the RD.

blackandgold
03-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Hate to disagree with anyone here, but we have many happy customers who use a Rear Discharge Hustler ZTR.
Posted via Mobile Device