PDA

View Full Version : Sod & Prep

Shawn Burns
08-05-2002, 10:29 PM
I have another landscaper who i do some hydroeeding for and he wants me to give him a price for sod work also.
I usually get around $.50/s.f.., or $4.50 a yard to install sod.( high or low i don't know, but that's what i get.)
My question is, does anybody have a price per square ft. including prep?( tilling, leveling, etc.) I usually have to look at a site before giving a prep price, but he wants a set price so he will know how to bid his jobs using me to do his sod work. I just don't see how i can give him a set price with jobs varying so much. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

ipm
08-05-2002, 11:40 PM
How many sq. ft. will you be gauranteed? Your price is very competitive. $250.00 per pallet 504sq.includes prep.

Is it new home construction?

gusbuster
08-06-2002, 12:12 AM
just a suggestion,

Take what you would charge a basic, no frills easy to do job. Now take the most horrible, hard to do job. find that price and take the high and take the low and split the difference.

Do you really want to work this way??

As you just explained in your post, how are you suppose to bid something and give a cost without knowing the work involved. Have you tried to explain that to him. If he's subbing out to you, either he doesn't have the time, the equipment or you're doing the work cheaper than he could. Which may be telling you something.

Just my thoughts.

Shawn Burns
08-06-2002, 05:54 AM
ipm,
no gauranteed sq. ft. as of yet, good thought though. as far as i can tell , it will be a little bit of everything, new and old construction.

gusbuster,
Taking an average may be what i do, although i will stay on the high side i think.
No, i really don't want to give prices without seeing what is involved, but as mentioned above if i stay on the high side it may be worth my while.
Also, i think it is more the time issue, this guy runs a fair sized outfit ( about 5 maint. crews and 5 install crews). He has been calling me almost every day, somtimes twice a day over the last few weeks to talk to me about pricing different seeding jobs. Some i have landed, some i have not, but i think he's for real. Price could be why he's using me, but i feel like i am getting the average around here for laying sod.

Thank you both for your thoughts!!

AGLA
08-06-2002, 06:27 AM
Why not give him something else to go by that is flexible and can be given to the client? Like $x for fine grading and sod with an additional hourly rate for stripping, tilling, adding topsoil, and price for dump runs. His client should understand that while he covers your tail and his.

Shawn Burns
08-06-2002, 08:22 PM
I'm still not quite sure i can give him a per square foot price for prep work at all.Today i was thinking, a 5,000 sq.ft. area on a 30* slope with lots of rocks sure is alot different than a 30* area of flat topsoil. It would be like giving somone a price for plants, by the plant, reguardless of size or type. That's just plain silly.
Any other thoughts?
Maybe i just needed to read my own question to come up with an answer?

aquaturf
08-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Why doesn't the landscaper do his own sod? I've heard of builders doing this, but a landscaper? Sounds odd to me.

Shawn Burns
08-13-2002, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure myself. I don't know if he was hoping i would do it cheaper, or if he is just too busy and thought it would free up some of his time, or what exactly he was trying to accomplish.
I told him the other day that i would have to look at the jobs before i could give him a price. He didn't sound too happy, oh well!
Thanks for the advice y'all!

gusbuster
08-13-2002, 08:23 PM
Shawn,
If he ever asks you again, ask him this:Would he price a lanscaping job without visiting the job site or having a set of plans to bid off of?

John

Shawn Burns
08-13-2002, 09:08 PM
John,
That's about what i told him. I also added that i could give him a price, but it was by all means going to cover MY tail ! He didn't seem to mind too much i have already done more work for him. Oh well!

kris
08-13-2002, 09:47 PM
I personally know a guy that is strictly a sod laying company and does very well at it... Very hard if not impossible to beat his prices. Other companys do use him.

dforbes
08-15-2002, 11:51 PM
I would be afraid he would give me all the hard jobs and do the easy one's himself. If I was considering doing it, I would give him a price but tell him before any work was started I need to look the job over and the price is subject to change. I had a builder who wanted a basic landscape price so he knew what to allow in the budget. We came up with a price but he knows some may be $500 more and some may be $500 less. He figures it will average out. No way I would give him a price that wasn't negotable